The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Conditional offer from University of Glasgow, but their condition is too high

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samman282
Guys, I've got a new problem :s-smilie:. I realized I don't understand their scottisch accent well enough, it's really hard to speak to anybody of them. I never had problems with understanding somebody in English, this is the first time :biggrin:.

Haha so you'll mainly just have problems with some of the locals. Most of the students and lecturers probably won't have very strong scottish accents as many of them won't be scottish.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I'm doing aerospace at Glasgow and all my subject teachers have not been Scottish. Only 1 subject where I had 4 lecturers, 3 of them were Scottish.

I just though I'd share this useless info :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
That would be good, hahaha. So I guess I've to write an email and tell them that we can discuss it on the telephone. I think there is no one there now.
Hi guys,

Just a quick reminder that if you do want to use a foreign language to post, then you need to also provide an English translation, so that everyone can understand :smile: There's also the PM system, if you want to message an individual without needing to translate :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Origami Bullets
Hi guys,

Just a quick reminder that if you do want to use a foreign language to post, then you need to also provide an English translation, so that everyone can understand :smile: There's also the PM system, if you want to message an individual without needing to translate :smile:

Yes sorry, that's what I said in German that we should talk in English from there on :biggrin:.
Yes sorry, that's what I said in German that we should talk in English from there on :biggrin:.

My schoolgirl German has failed us all! At least you'll know for next time :smile:
x__justmyluck is right, it's not like you're the first international student studying in scotland. The lectures should be fine, just explain your situation to your flatmates etc. and I'm sure they'll understand. You wouldn't overemphasize your dialect (hessisch, sächsisch, bayrisch or wherever you're from) if someone visited Germany, now would you? :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by bonfire_heart
x__justmyluck is right, it's not like you're the first international student studying in scotland. The lectures should be fine, just explain your situation to your flatmates etc. and I'm sure they'll understand. You wouldn't overemphasize your dialect (hessisch, sächsisch, bayrisch or wherever you're from) if someone visited Germany, now would you? :wink:

Oh it's not that hahaha, I had to call them and ask because of their physics requirement and I didn't clearly understand what they said on the answer machine :biggrin:. Well, it's not going to be a problem, I think (if they take me).

Oh well, I don't have a dialect, I am speaking this simple standard German :biggrin:.

My schoolgirl German has failed us all! At least you'll know for next time :smile:

Haha, you couldn't know.
Hi guys,

is there a punishment?
Original post by Table dust
is there a punishment?

We can give out blue / yellow cards.
Reply 30
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It is not absolutely impossible, especially if they have made you an offer containing a subject you don't study anymore, and didn't enter on your form. In this case, it might be a mistake, or they may have misunderstood what was entered on your UCAS form. Admissions tutors aren't perfect, and can make mistakes, especially if they aren't familiar with the education system that you're from.

It may be helpful to ask your referee if they will also discuss this with the university if neccessary.

They probably won't lower their condition overall, though unless a major mistake has been made. It is common for applicants to recieve offers higher than their prediction if their prediction is lower than the standard offer.

Glasgow responded to my email; they said that I'm not eligible for admissions to their School of Engineering without physics. Is there anything I can do now? I had physics until inclusive year 10 and it's very common in Germany to not continue one science subject after finishing this year. Most people continue with two sciences and I really couldn't know at this point. Our school system is designed this way, that you learn all basics and begin with the constructive topics, so I know basically all of the stuff I have to know for an engineerings course. Should I write another email to them explaning all these things? Would it help if let my referee talk to them?
And would I still have a chance for my application to be reviewed in August, if they get all grades except for physics?

Original post by munchen102
I'm doing aerospace at Glasgow and all my subject teachers have not been Scottish. Only 1 subject where I had 4 lecturers, 3 of them were Scottish.

I just though I'd share this useless info :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool :smile:. You are from Germany right (because of your name)? Did you have physics and which grades did you have?
(edited 10 years ago)
Glasgow responded to my email; they said that I'm not eligible for admissions to their School of Engineering without physics. Is there anything I can do now? I had physics until inclusive year 10 and it's very common in Germany to not continue one science subject after finishing this year. Most people continue with two sciences and I really couldn't know at this point. Our school system is designed this way, that you learn all basics and begin with the constructive topics, so I know basically all of the stuff I have to know for an engineerings course. Should I write another email to them explaning all these things? Would it help if let my referee talk to them?
And would I still have a chance for my application to be reviewed in August, if they get all grades except for physics?

Cool :smile:. You are from Germany right (because of your name)? Did you have physics and which grades did you have?

No I'm not from Germany haha, Munich is my favourite place! As got physics I done up up to advanced higher (the highest school level; similar to A-Level) but on maths to higher level. Scottish unis have a year extra since they accept student on higher grades, so I'm sure you could pick up the basics in the first year, it's hard but not mindblowingly hard.

However I think it's just one of those things you need to get in. Getting into Uni is a lot more competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know the details of the German school system, so my advice may not be that useful at this point. I'm assuming year 10 is a similar age as it would be in the UK (14-15)?

It sounds like you probably have the equivalent to GCSE level physics, and the course requires you to have an equivalent to A-level physics. In the UK, we drop most of our subjects after GCSE (age 16) and only carry on with 3-5 subjects at A-level compared to the larger number we'd study at GCSE. A-level subjects are chosen carefully to match the degrees people think they are likely to do, and universities will expect you to consider this before dropping a subject.

Unfortunately, if the course requires you to have a level 3 (A-level equivalent) qualification in physics. This is listed clearly on their website. Therefore, it's very unlikely they will let you in, even via clearing. It's a real shame but you've wasted an application because you misunderstood the entry requirements.

I think the only thing you can do now, if you really wanted to go to Glasgow, would be to take a year out and get your physics up to the level they would want it at. I don't know if this would be possible through self-study in some way? You could then reapply, and hopefully get a place again.

I'm sorry this has happened, but I don't think there's much chance of you getting into Glasgow this year. You can email them again, and explain your level of physics qualification, but I don't think it's going to be enough for them.
Reply 33
I don't know the details of the German school system, so my advice may not be that useful at this point. I'm assuming year 10 is a similar age as it would be in the UK (14-15)?

It sounds like you probably have the equivalent to GCSE level physics, and the course requires you to have an equivalent to A-level physics. In the UK, we drop most of our subjects after GCSE (age 16) and only carry on with 3-5 subjects at A-level compared to the larger number we'd study at GCSE. A-level subjects are chosen carefully to match the degrees people think they are likely to do, and universities will expect you to consider this before dropping a subject.

Unfortunately, if the course requires you to have a level 3 (A-level equivalent) qualification in physics. This is listed clearly on their website. Therefore, it's very unlikely they will let you in, even via clearing. It's a real shame but you've wasted an application because you misunderstood the entry requirements.

I think the only thing you can do now, if you really wanted to go to Glasgow, would be to take a year out and get your physics up to the level they would want it at. I don't know if this would be possible through self-study in some way? You could then reapply, and hopefully get a place again.

I'm sorry this has happened, but I don't think there's much chance of you getting into Glasgow this year. You can email them again, and explain your level of physics qualification, but I don't think it's going to be enough for them.

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the UK system. What I know is that we do all basics and even more than that until year 10 (we have 12 school years). It's optional to continue all sciences, because they assume that you have the general education in that subject you need, the other years go beyond that. This is in general the mission of our grammar schools, they shall give you a general education in all subjects. That's why you can study everything in Germany with the Abitur, no matter which subjects you take for it. You have the knowledge and if there are some topics missing, you have to study them at your own again. So that's why I don't understand why Glasgow requires physics from a German student without looking at the individual status.
I saw that they wanted physics, but assumed that this is a requirement IF you have physics, not that you must have physics. I explained this to them and offered them to join the physics class for our next semester. I hope I'll get in, I think it's worth trying.
Otherwise I've applied to other universities, which I think don't require physics (hopefully): University of Strathclyde, Herriot Watt, University of Hertfordshire and City University London. So four other choices and I think I have the possibility to change the university for the second year, right?
Reply 34
[...]
I saw that they wanted physics, but assumed that this is a requirement IF you have physics, not that you must have physics. [...]

This doesn't make sense, if they require you to have Physics, they clearly mean you must have it. If you have Physics already, as one of your subjects, a requirement would be senseless in this situation.
Reply 35
Okay, I'll see what's the university's response to my email and then ask to join our physics class.
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the UK system. What I know is that we do all basics and even more than that until year 10 (we have 12 school years). It's optional to continue all sciences, because they assume that you have the general education in that subject you need, the other years go beyond that. This is in general the mission of our grammar schools, they shall give you a general education in all subjects. That's why you can study everything in Germany with the Abitur, no matter which subjects you take for it. You have the knowledge and if there are some topics missing, you have to study them at your own again. So that's why I don't understand why Glasgow requires physics from a German student without looking at the individual status.
I saw that they wanted physics, but assumed that this is a requirement IF you have physics, not that you must have physics. I explained this to them and offered them to join the physics class for our next semester. I hope I'll get in, I think it's worth trying.
Otherwise I've applied to other universities, which I think don't require physics (hopefully): University of Strathclyde, Herriot Watt, University of Hertfordshire and City University London. So four other choices and I think I have the possibility to change the university for the second year, right?

The German system doesn't sound that different to the UK one, except that you seem to carry on with more subjects post 16. UK Universities assume that people make informed choices at 16, chosing the subjects they need for specific courses. They will design the first years of their courses to be pitched at people who have studied certain subjects recently.

If a university mentions a grade in a certain subject, they usually mean that subject is either required or prefered.

Hopefully you can join the physics class next term, and meet the requirement for Glasgow. Otherwise, hopefully you get an achievable offer from some other universities.
Reply 37
The German system doesn't sound that different to the UK one, except that you seem to carry on with more subjects post 16. UK Universities assume that people make informed choices at 16, chosing the subjects they need for specific courses. They will design the first years of their courses to be pitched at people who have studied certain subjects recently.

If a university mentions a grade in a certain subject, they usually mean that subject is either required or prefered.

Hopefully you can join the physics class next term, and meet the requirement for Glasgow. Otherwise, hopefully you get an achievable offer from some other universities.

Thank you. Well, I sent my email to Glasgow on Jan 23 and they didn't reply yet. But I've to know if they would accept it this way, because I've to drop another class in order to join the physics class (and I've to decide at the latest on Thursday.
Otherwise I hope for Strathclyde :smile:.
Thank you. Well, I sent my email to Glasgow on Jan 23 and they didn't reply yet. But I've to know if they would accept it this way, because I've to drop another class in order to join the physics class (and I've to decide at the latest on Thursday.
Otherwise I hope for Strathclyde :smile:.

If you do not hear back soon, it may be best (although expensive) to ring. Hopefully you get a reply soon.

Good luck for Strathclyde anyway :smile:
Reply 39
If you do not hear back soon, it may be best (although expensive) to ring. Hopefully you get a reply soon.

Good luck for Strathclyde anyway :smile:

Haha it's not expensive, it costs only 0.5 cents a minute :wink:. But I've difficulties to understand the Scottish Accent :biggrin:.

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending