Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why can't people ask me not to tlak to them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    I don't think you understand social situations, it's rude to tell friends relative to 'go away' to their face, so they would have had a quiet word with your cousin and asked them to let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would of not spoken to them if they had told me though. I don't know if I'm not told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    I have autism, I don't SUFFER from it.
    It's ok to admit that you are though, you have clearly misread social signals, likely because of your autism...

ReputationRep:
    I would of not spoken to them if they had told me though. I don't know if I'm not told.
    It's considered rude to tell someone that though. I get that you don't understand why they wouldn't just tell you, it's just the way it is. Most people would pick up that they are unwanted from social cues and body language, it's just that you maybe struggle with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how everyone can be so insensitive on this thread. OP is deeply hurt.

ReputationRep:
    It's considered rude to tell someone that though. I get that you don't understand why they wouldn't just tell you, it's just the way it is. Most people would pick up that they are unwanted from social cues and body language, it's just that you maybe struggle with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can barely read body language, I know that arms crossed means someone doesn't want you in and moving away means they don't want you near them. It's not rude to me, it's telling me straight instead of not letting me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    It's ok to admit that you are though, you have clearly misread social signals, likely because of your autism...
    But I am not suffering from it, it's not causing me any harm.

ReputationRep:
    But I am not suffering from it, it's not causing me any harm.
    Well it is as you're clearly annoyed enough about it, you've made a TSR thread on something that happened (most probably) because of your autism.

ReputationRep:
    I can barely read body language, I know that arms crossed means someone doesn't want you in and moving away means they don't want you near them. It's not rude to me, it's telling me straight instead of not letting me know.
    I know, but unless they knew you, and knew that you like to just be told, it's usually safe to assume you'd find it rude. Seems to have been a bit of a communication breakdown, will you be seeing these people again? If not maybe just try and forget about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most people wouldn't actually perform these actions because of their strong connotation with not wanting to talk to someone. Most people would be polite, smile and try to sound interested. You wouldn't actually see someone giving off this body language so blatantly.

I assume these two people are the same people that you want to send 'platonic love letters' to?

ReputationRep:
    I've been told this before... If they wanted me to go away they should of told me, I wouldn't let someone talk to me if I didn't want them to, it's not hard to ask someone to go away.
    Actually it is if you're trying not to come across as a rude person or hurt someone's feelings. Instead of throwing a tantrum just accept you were probably over-stepping the friendly cousin role and just leave them to it.

If two family members are telling you to back off then clearly you're annoying someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiggydiggy)
    Most people wouldn't actually perform these actions because of their strong connotation with not wanting to talk to someone. Most people would be polite, smile and try to sound interested. You wouldn't actually see someone giving off this body language so blatantly.

I assume these two people are the same people that you want to send 'platonic love letters' to?
    Oh, okay. No they are not I barely know one of them and I only met the other on that day.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but unless they knew you, and knew that you like to just be told, it's usually safe to assume you'd find it rude. Seems to have been a bit of a communication breakdown, will you be seeing these people again? If not maybe just try and forget about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I might be seeing one of them becuase she is a close friend of my cousin, I know that one as we went to school together.

ReputationRep:
    But generally speaking most people would find it rude to be told directly not to talk to someone, so they were probably doing it out of general politeness.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.