Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth taking a printer to uni? watch

I have been using the uni printers but am considering getting my own for two reasons:
    1) the uni printing system keeps failing, which so far hasn't affected me but probably will do soon
    2) I'm going to start typing up my notes and I like to do that with just a little bit of colour - which costs 4.5 times as much, because the cost structure is based on a whole page of colour

I bought a really cheap printer to take with me, and it's been very useful, especially to print things like lecture slides off which otherwise id have to go to the library and queue every time i want to print something off

Absolutely, going all the way to uni just to print things off when mine broke was a nightmare. I cannot stress enough how much you will count your blessings you have a printer come deadline days.

I got my printer for free from my towns 'free or cheap' fb group. (Epson stylus S20) - looked up before and they're cheaper ink-wise.
    Then I got compatible cartridges rather than genuine and they only cost about £2 each or less.

(I did get another bigger 3-in-1 printer from the same person but that refused to take any compatibles at all, so not without risks - at least it was free)

Most people in my halls have their own so never really get asked, plus we have a computer room- think if we didn't and more people knew about our printers we'd get harassed a lot more!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.