Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohemarica)
    'Shotting Weed' Babymothers and baby fathers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right. It's only black people that sell weed and have children born out of wedlock :rolleyes:

(Original post by Algorithm69)
    I associate it with crime, drugs, stupidity, bad music, unintelligible English, and awful fashion sense.
    Just lol. It's only us that are involved in crime and sell drugs White People never do any of that :rolleyes:. White people are perfect.

I'm expecting some real backward responses people see the Blacks in America and associate all the stereotypes about them with Black British people. The funny thing is some of you guys haven't even stepped a foot next to a black person you read Daily Mail articles now you think you know all about Black people :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit different whether we're talking about Black Caribbean or Black African culture, but I instantly think of music (reggae/dancehall, etc.), food and so on.

People tend to confuse Black culture with working class/urban cultures though, which is sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiamarni)
    i hate both i moved to a school which is predominantly black and they dont eat the latter but sadly serve chicken and chips every single day its so unhealthy im moving soon i hope cant stand the place
    Rubicon mango is a drink.

(Original post by Kruz)
    Just lol. It's only us that are involved in crime and sell drugs White People never do any of that :rolleyes:. White people are perfect.

I'm expecting some real backward responses people see the Blacks in America and associate all the stereotypes about them with Black British people. The funny thing is some of you guys haven't even stepped a foot next to a black person you read Daily Mail articles now you think you know all about Black people :rolleyes:.
    This is true. I associate car theft, binge drinking and vandalism with white people though so it's no biggie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    I associate it with crime, drugs, stupidity, bad music, unintelligible English, and awful fashion sense.
    I'm guessing that you're the type of person who only mixes with their own race? Or is there another reason why you're so ill-informed about other people's cultures?

ReputationRep:
    Black person here...

Facts:

1) Black people just don't come from Jamaica and other Carribean Islands. Why is it white middle class Brits think black they always think 'Caribbean' and 'African American'. Dude could be from Nigeria.

2) Not all black people listen to hip-hop and Dancehall and talk like Londoners, wannabe yardies and grime emcees. There's a lot of black people who prefer Metal and even J-Pop.

3) Black people don't just live in inner cities such as Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, London, Nottingham, etc. Believe it or not there are black people in Glasgow. There's black people in Lincoln even! There's even black people in Barnsley :O

4) Black people aren't eating rice and peas and chicken all the time. That's some stereotype ****. Chances are we're eating Italian, Chinese food, Japanese food, etc. My black mum is cooking lasagne. Not rice and peas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winading001)
    What would you describe as being associated with Black British culture?
    Please share your honest opinion. All answers will be respected.(But still debated )
    Before you post, please consider these questions:

Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
    Do you think your opinion is influenced by the media(e.g BBC News)
    Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?
    1) In general yes. There are black kids who don't associate with rap or sports and get called "not black" for it
    2) No, I'm mixed raced so I see it first-hand. I identify most with your definition of black culture
    3) I'm from Birmingham so yes.

ReputationRep:
    What would you describe as being associated with Black British culture?
    Please share your honest opinion. All answers will be respected.(But still debated )
    Before you post, please consider these questions:

Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
    Do you think your opinion is influenced by the media(e.g BBC News)
    Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?
    Black Culture, just general lad stuff really, honestly, it used be so hood round here before but it's changing, now all my black friends are just banterish lads..

My black friends do like rap, hip hop and football, I'll be honest, when I was in Primary I used to think I was gangster, so I used to hang around with black people, now this was due to all the influence of the things I saw in the BBC News etc, however when I approached high school I noticed many black people are quite intelligent to be honest, I speak of my African friends, I don't know of many carribeans. I live in and was born in East London, got black friends, some stereotypes most live up to, but generally in terms each one is different in there own way, most of them aren't these scary guys that the media present but just normal people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    It's a bit different whether we're talking about Black Caribbean or Black African culture, but I instantly think of music (reggae/dancehall, etc.), food and so on.

People tend to confuse Black culture with working class/urban cultures though, which is sad.
    Well if you look at it at a simplified level, if we are describing poor urban culture, you can see huge differences in general between black urban poor culture and white urban poor culture (take London with cockney v gangster , chav v ghetto) Even look up north , the predominantly white urban poor in Liverpool and Manchester are unrecognisable from their black counterparts down south.

Obviously culture changes hugely between socio economic levels, but by and large quite broad stereotypes can be seen to be a fairly accurate way to describe our urban poor, and I'd love to see some evidence to the contrary. Race hugely informs culture whether consciously or subconsciously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oschene23)
    Well if you look at it at a simplified level, if we are describing poor urban culture, you can see huge differences in general between black urban poor culture and white urban poor culture (take London with cockney v gangster , chav v ghetto) Even look up north , the predominantly white urban poor in Liverpool and Manchester are unrecognisable from their black counterparts down south.

Obviously culture changes hugely between socio economic levels, but by and large quite broad stereotypes can be seen to be a fairly accurate way to describe our urban poor, and I'd love to see some evidence to the contrary. Race hugely informs culture whether consciously or subconsciously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do see differences between black and white culture across all socio-economic levels, but black culture isn't limited to the social behaviour shown by some black members of the lower socio-economic classes, as quite a few people mistakenly believe.

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of hip-hop, many people from working class family over here liked it, and it wasn't just the black community either, Asian, white etc to, I used to listen to hip-hop a lot, but as times change so does music I guess, now-a-days I'm more into rock, though my brothers are big fans of rap music.

By the way I'm an Asian person of Working Class Background living amongst many communities

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big hip-hop head and In my experience most hip-hop gigs in the UK are filled with white people. There are never many black folk at all. Same with Jazz and soul.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol white people talking about this thing they call 'black culture' when they probably don't even talk to many black people.

If you call it 'black culture' you're already failing.

Also I don't want to hear anyone call Dancehall 'reggae'. Dancehall is not reggae.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What lack of educational opportunities?
    I'm British Black and I feel have an equal opportunity to those who are of the same social class as I am.
    The educational system in Britain , at least in school anyway, is institutionally racist. It's biased against young black men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    Lol white people talking about this thing they call 'black culture' when they probably don't even talk to many black people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They listened to a few 50 Cent songs now they're experts in Black Culture :rofl:.

ReputationRep:

Also I don't want to hear anyone call Dancehall 'reggae'. Dancehall is not reggae.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That must have been aimed at me. They're clearly not; I was mentioning them as two different types of music, not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    They listened to a few 50 Cent songs now they're experts in Black Culture :rofl:.

Swap Fiddy for Jay-Z or Kanye though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Or it's a white girl from the Home Counties who got hit on and had her ass groped by a group of black guys at an RnB club in Manchester. Now she's an expert in 'black culture'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

This and dry elbows.

ReputationRep:
    Or it's a white girl from the Home Counties who got hit on and had her ass groped by a group of black guys at an RnB club in Manchester. Now she's an expert in 'black culture'

ReputationRep:
    This quote from Fritz the Cat sums up this thread:

'You think being a crow is a big mother****ing ball? All you cats the same, man! You don't know where it is, and you don't have somebody to tell you where it is. You have to be where it is to find out what's happening!'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.