Turn on thread page Beta

Can you be kicked out of university for poor attendance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Given that pretty much the entire intellectual worth of my university study came from the content side, and that the language side was (and likely only ever can be) completely two-dimensional, I would never consider wasting the university experience on a triple-language degree. I expect you find that even more offensive.

Only because you wouldn't be able to hack 3 languages!
    Bored of you now.... going to go waste more of my university education.

ReputationRep:
    Given that pretty much the entire intellectual worth of my university study came from the content side, and that the language side was (and likely only ever can be) completely two-dimensional, I would never consider wasting the university experience on a triple-language degree. I expect you find that even more offensive.
    This post isn't helpful for the thread, you are just being rude now. I personally wouldn't touch a language degree at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigJosh)
    Only because you wouldn't be able to hack 3 languages!
    Bored of you now.... going to go waste more of my university education.
    I studied Catalan in addition during one of the years, so your point falls flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    This post isn't helpful for the thread, you are just being rude now. I personally wouldn't touch a language degree at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Neither was his post calling me condescending.

ReputationRep:
    I studied Catalan in addition during one of the years, so your point falls flat.
    Catalan for one year. Really? That's your argument - a small language that acts as an elective against 3 languages for 4 years - behave.

ReputationRep:
    Catalan for one year. Really? That's your argument - a small language that acts as an elective against 3 languages for 4 years - behave.
    You have got to be kidding me. The language units are the most piss-easy parts of a language degree. You listen, absorb, do a touch of practice and watch the news in the language a couple of times a week and you're laughing. Keep up the good work.

ReputationRep:
    Thought you were bored of her

ReputationRep:
    You have got to be kidding me. The language units are the most piss-easy parts of a language degree. You listen, absorb, do a touch of practice and watch the news in the language a couple of times a week and you're laughing. Keep up the good work.

oh dear, I feel sorry for you, I really do.

ReputationRep:
    You come across extremely condescending, wow.
    you need to be quiet and stop judging people you don't know! his life, his decisions. If he is being blase about it (which he is not) its none of your business. And stop acting like you are his parent, you're not.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear, I feel sorry for you, I really do.
    I really don't see why going to university is necessary if your only intention is to learn other languages. Most tennis players can speak two or three languages and the majority of them probably never finished their high school education. I feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    I think they can but doubt they would, my attendance was rather erratic in first year and first term of second year and all that happened was I got an email towards the end asking me if I was okay.
    I think it's more they'll be less lenient with you if you mess up or fail, so if you fail a module and have awful attendance you could get asked to leave.

TBH I don't learn a great deal from being in the lectures, recordings of ours are all put up online anyway (barring the occasional techinical problem) and I learn more when I can go through it at my own pace. I'm planning on going to all of them now though, mainly beause I find physically attending lectures makes me more motivated to go over the content and not put it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy Lanka)
    Out of interest why would you pay nine grand a year to not bother going to lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am paying 3 grand a year, Just went to uni before the fee rises.

ReputationRep:
    one guy in my HND turned up about 3 times in the first year and 10 times second year (yes this was run in a university) and he still passed somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Just an update, I've attended seminars but not lectures only 2 in the 1st semester.

ReputationRep:
    My attendance for some seminars has been horrible though I've attended the majority of lectures and I've never had anything said about it. I do plan to aim for 100% in semester 2 however.

ReputationRep:
    I've received an email to meet with my senior tutor about bad attendance at university of lincoln. I'm really worried they'll kick me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indiboulle)
    I've received an email to meet with my senior tutor about bad attendance at university of lincoln. I'm really worried they'll kick me out
    They're highly unlikely to kick you out on a first warning, especially if you're getting reasonable coursework/exam results.. Use the meeting to see how serious the problem might get though. If you can find anything on the intranet about attendance monitoring or requirements, you might be able to figure out whether you're actually in serious trouble or just getting a pep talk.

Bear in mind that part of a uni's ranking is based on failure rates. If they think someone is a dead cert for failure, they'd rather have them drop out before the end of the year, than appear in the stats as a failure. Ranking tables feed into how unis are seen by prospective students. If they think you're going to make them look bad, they ditch you if they can.

ReputationRep:
    How do I get back into uni after being placed on interrupted studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justinwakeling)
    How do I get back into uni after being placed on interrupted studies
    We can't tell you as every uni can set its own rules. Your uni should have provided you with instructions for re-entry when they placed you in Interrupted status. If you can't find them, then ask your course leader or Student Union rep.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sammy Lanka;46082023]Out of interest why would you pay nine grand a year to not bother going to lectures

Well it's not like you can say "Oh I'll just pay £2,000 and I'll turn up to some of the lectures" It's either all or nothing.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.