Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Looking to buy new earphones, any recommendations? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Oh thanks for your help, seems I'm undecided now though thanks to this guy below

Those do look very good... and its so tempting ''Want it by Thursday 1pm?'' :lol:
    I'll check out some reviews and put these head to head with the audio technica's
    Your thread title said earphones lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Your thread title said earphones lol
    I can change my mind

ReputationRep:
    These are good earphones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Absolutely superb when you factor in the price.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I'm willing to look at all price ranges since I'm pretty loaded with spare cash atm
    In that case I would strongly recommend the JH Audio Siren Series Roxanne or the Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor :ahee:

As for your actual budget, if you're willing to buy from eBay storefronts then the VSonic GR06 are hands down the best option for under £50. eBay "retailers" are almost always the only way of getting a pair in the UK, but provided the seller has good enough feedback I wouldn't have any qualms about buying them there.

If you are absolutely after an Amazon/UK-based option, then I would strongly recommend spending the extra £9 to pick up a pair of Philips Fidelio S1s from Amazon. Philips made big waves a few years ago by completely turning around their audio divisions as they started pumping out seriously high quality headphones and earphones (their Citiscape on/over-ears have probably become the headphones I have recommended the most on TSR over the last couple of years), and the S1s are the entry level model in their premium Fidelio line. The previous suggestions of Audio Technica and AKG are also good, but in my opinion the low end in-ear offerings from these companies aren't as impressive as the S1s, not by a good margin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green Velvet)
    If you want really cheap ones that actually last for quite a long while then these are pretty good, I've had mine for 2 years and still going strong, but for something more expensive/of better quality I wouldn't have a clue
    Those are excellent, I have used them before!

ReputationRep:
    So I've got a headset which works great for music at home but when I'm out and about I'm looking for a pair of reasonably cheap earphones that can have a similar effect. At the moment I use a logitech usb headset, so I was wondering what earphones should I get? (better than apple headphones, please and preferably in-ear rather than the ones that hang on the inner part of your ear).

Any amazon links also appreciated, just want a decent pair of headphones that work well with all types of music, from rock and pop to heavy metal and dubstep etc
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P...iser+earphones

I recommend these Robbie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    Those are excellent, I have used them before!
    For the price they're amazing! :five:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    These are good earphones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Absolutely superb when you factor in the price.
    As much as I love the 8320s (pretty sure my review on the silver pair is still the highest rated review on Amazon :ahee:), the OP's budget is high enough that he'll get a big enough jump in sound to mame the extra expense worthwhile.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Senheisser or Sony are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    As much as I love the 8320s (pretty sure my review on the silver pair is still the highest rated review on Amazon :ahee:), the OP's budget is high enough that he'll get a big enough jump in sound to mame the extra expense worthwhile.
    That's true, but I do always wonder if the casual listener will really notice the jump. Even if they do, a lot of people will prefer the £45 difference in their pocket, regardless of how well off they are.

I do agree with you, though, but would always recommend these earphones as "messing around" phones.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    That's true, but I do always wonder if the casual listener will really notice the jump. Even if they do, a lot of people will prefer the £45 difference in their pocket, regardless of how well off they are.

I do agree with you, though, but would always recommend these earphones as "messing around" phones.
    I would personally say so, the difference in quality at lower price points can be more apparent before diminishing returns kicks in as you approach the triple figures. The 8320s are the only IEMs under £25 that I make recommendations for anymore because they're every bit as good as anything in the price bracket (except for VSonic's headphones but they're tricky to get), but the right pair of £35+ headphones will usually be discernibly better for a casual listener- I've used my brother as a guinea pig to test this very question :P but yeah if the OP did want to to save money I would say the 8320s with Comply Foams for £20 are great, but it sounds like they want to spend more :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    That's a great review you've written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    In that case I would strongly recommend the JH Audio Siren Series Roxanne or the Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor :ahee:

As for your actual budget, if you're willing to buy from eBay storefronts then the VSonic GR06 are hands down the best option for under £50. eBay "retailers" are almost always the only way of getting a pair in the UK, but provided the seller has good enough feedback I wouldn't have any qualms about buying them there.

If you are absolutely after an Amazon/UK-based option, then I would strongly recommend spending the extra £9 to pick up a pair of Philips Fidelio S1s from Amazon. Philips made big waves a few years ago by completely turning around their audio divisions as they started pumping out seriously high quality headphones and earphones (their Citiscape on/over-ears have probably become the headphones I have recommended the most on TSR over the last couple of years), and the S1s are the entry level model in their premium Fidelio line. The previous suggestions of Audio Technica and AKG are also good, but in my opinion the low end in-ear offerings from these companies aren't as impressive as the S1s, not by a good margin.
    So you'd say objectively, the Phillips S1s are better than the Audio technica's? Will the phillips S1s fit all the different types of music and try to maximise the sound quality to a good level? Also I've been reading a few reviews talking about isolation issues and sometimes that they fall out of your ears.

I've rejected the AKGs and now I'm considering the Audio Technica's or these

ReputationRep:
    just decided to go with the Audio technica's at the end of the day, its just what I need, shame about the delivery time 26 April - 17 May :lol:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    So you'd say objectively, the Phillips S1s are better than the Audio technica's?
    Objectivity is difficult to do achieve when it comes to headphones, but yes, I would expect the S1s to be better than the Technicas. As a point of reference, arguably the most popular and comprehensive resource for in-ear purchasing on the web is the Multi IEM Review thread on Head Fi, written by a user named Joker who has personally listened to the 300+ IEMs listed and probably a few hundred more, and the experienced audiophiles on Head Fi respected his opinion enough to club together $1000 for a top-end pair for him to keep a few years back- he's pretty much an IEM guru :ahee:. In that thread he scores the CKM 500s a 9/10 which is great for the price, however although he hasn't written an entry about the S1s, he has reviewed them for the other sites he writes for and it's the Fidelio S1s that he chooses to include in his own buyer's guide and on the IEM page of the Wall of Fame on another extremely well regarded audiophile site, Innerfidelity, which seems to imply this is the pair he prefers at this price point.

Will the phillips S1s fit all the different types of music and try to maximise the sound quality to a good level?
    Yes, they're a pretty balanced sounding headphone which will play nicely with most genres of music.

Also I've been reading a few reviews talking about isolation issues and sometimes that they fall out of your ears.
    The isolation/fit concerns are a result of the shallow fit form factor rather than a problem with these earphones specifically. If you look at both the CKM 500s and the Fidelio S1s, you'll notice they're the same design in this regard so are going to be very similar and having looked at the isolation graphs for both, they seem to block out roughly identical amounts of noise across the whole audible range. This style of in-ear will not block out as much noise as a more traditional straight barrel IEM and may be more prone to falling out because they do not insert as deeply into the ear canal, however it's important to note that regular IEMs are the best style of any headphone for isolation (aside from custom moulded IEMs), so being worse does not necessarily mean they're bad, with the levels of isolation they offer being perfectly good for most listeners who won't have their music at extremely quiet volumes. As for fit, as long as you're not using them for exercise they really shouldn't have any problems staying in with the right sized tips.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse...7CSony%7C1.htm

ReputationRep:
    Sony earphones at Argos. I bought mine 2yrs. ago less than 50quid.

ReputationRep:
    Shure se215. Very comfortable and sound amazing. They retail for £90 on amazon but you can get them used for around £50-60. However if you buy them used I would recommend buying new buds.

ReputationRep:
    Just going to put this out there - be very, very careful when buying off Amazon as Amazon is NOT an authorised reseller of Shure products. Most products are being sold by third party sellers and as such are not covered under Shure's two year warranty.

For the safest option in terms of warranty, ALWAYS purchase from authorised resellers. This ensure that the products are coming directly from Shure and as such are guaranteed to be genuine.

Here is a link to a fully authorised reseller:

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/catalogse...esult/?q=se215

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    You get them yet ?
    Nope, I suspect they'll arrive in a week at minimum

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.