Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B645 - First Aid in Teaching Bill 2014 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    This actually comes from a personal experience where a student had a seizure in a classroom and neither the teacher, nor the teacher in the adjoining classrooms knew what to do. Only a classmate in an adjacent room did. So, had that class mate not been there and it was something more serious it could have been dangerous.

Training people in first aid in general is surely also a good investment.
    Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with it as such - the more qualified first aiders we have the better, especially in schools. I'm just saying is it really necessary to have a full professional course etc?

I think working it into the curriculum for the students would be a good way to start - maybe as part of PSHE or some other cack subject like that. Then invite teachers to come along to those sessions too.
    This way, the kids are actually learning it too, which could be a valuable life skill, and you're not forcing teachers to give up more of their time if they don't want, whereas I'm pretty sure there'd be a good number who'd head along to one of these lessons to learn the basics for themselves, and then if they wanted, they could take a full time, professionally run first aid course in their own time, when it suited them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with it as such - the more qualified first aiders we have the better, especially in schools. I'm just saying is it really necessary to have a full professional course etc?

I think working it into the curriculum for the students would be a good way to start - maybe as part of PSHE or some other cack subject like that. Then invite teachers to come along to those sessions too.
    This way, the kids are actually learning it too, which could be a valuable life skill, and you're not forcing teachers to give up more of their time if they don't want, whereas I'm pretty sure there'd be a good number who'd head along to one of these lessons to learn the basics for themselves, and then if they wanted, they could take a full time, professionally run first aid course in their own time, when it suited them.
    Teaching parts of it in the curriculum to students is a very good idea, it would have to be a lot slower and more interactive to learn it, thus I can't see it being very productive for teachers to sit through the same scenario. So teachers and students would need separate to learn anything useful.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching parts of it in the curriculum to students is a very good idea, it would have to be a lot slower and more interactive to learn it, thus I can't see it being very productive for teachers to sit through the same scenario. So teachers and students would need separate to learn anything useful.
    Yah, I suppose so. Though we did it like this at my school, and plenty of staff came along.
    Plus when I did my football coaching course and had to do the first aid stuff, I was 16 at the time, and did it along with everyone else (most of whom were above 40) so I'm not sure it needs to be all that different. Certainly I think teaching it to kids is necessary; then have teachers come along and watch and learn too as I say, then if they want, they can do a professional course in their own time and learn in more depth then.
    As I say, I'll probably still vote aye for this bill, but I'd prefer to see something along these lines.
    Will get something written up on introducing first aid into the curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Yah, I suppose so. Though we did it like this at my school, and plenty of staff came along.
    Plus when I did my football coaching course and had to do the first aid stuff, I was 16 at the time, and did it along with everyone else (most of whom were above 40) so I'm not sure it needs to be all that different. Certainly I think teaching it to kids is necessary; then have teachers come along and watch and learn too as I say, then if they want, they can do a professional course in their own time and learn in more depth then.
    As I say, I'll probably still vote aye for this bill, but I'd prefer to see something along these lines.
    Will get something written up on introducing first aid into the curriculum.
    Good, I look forward to voting for it.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but I do think you should hold a second reading to add in the gradual change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    Aye, but I do think you should hold a second reading to add in the gradual change.
    Done

ReputationRep:
    Done
    Nice!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation and will be going to a further reading soon.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This has gone to a second reading.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.