Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

How did the universe come to exist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore. It was Dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsbook)
    That's exactly why I said we'd not get a theory in the sense that we are able to test something to establish it, but rather we'd figure out the maths which proves it.

I'm saying that I think it is likely that we will get the maths which explains the the beginning of the universe but that a testable hypothesis is something that will be unlikely.

Most things start with the maths and then get put into a testable hypothesis. What do you think theoretical physicists do? :L
    Yeah but you said mathematical explanation with proof, which I just pointed out isn't possible. I see what you mean now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsbook)
    That's exactly why I said we'd not get a theory in the sense that we are able to test something to establish it, but rather we'd figure out the maths which proves it.

I'm saying that I think it is likely that we will get the maths which explains the the beginning of the universe but that a testable hypothesis is something that will be unlikely.

Most things start with the maths and then get put into a testable hypothesis. What do you think theoretical physicists do? :L
    I've not been a theoretical physicist for long at all, less than a year in fact and 99% of my work actually involves sitting at a computer looking at graphs and data sheets lol. Until we have a theory of quantum gravity we can never know what happened at t=0. Even if we have the mathematics that shows how the universe came into existence, that math can never be tested, unless we can create a universe of our own.

It's also worth noting that even if we know what happened at t=0 the question of where the universe came from will still remain unanswered. I believe some questions about the universe are simply too incomprehensible for us to even ask, let alone answer. It's beyond our capacity to think of asking those questions.

One model that I favour greatly and was a large part of my thesis is the cyclic model whereby our universes big bang was caused by the collapse of a previous universe and if the mathematics is correct it shows how our universe will become so large that gravity can no longer support the structure and will collapse back into a singularity, but that energy has to go somewhere and sinse it has nowhere to go, it creates a new space-time.

There is a real possibility that this cycle has been happening forever, as in there was never a first universe. This is essentially saying that the universe (everything) was never created because it always existed in one form or another. The problem with this model is it violates a number of laws, namely the second law of thermodynamics.

What a lot of people forget to remember is that our laws of the universe are only valid within the observable universe, as far as we can tell. There could be a place where the gravity becomes so unstable that it causes laws to be violated. After all the universe would never have been created if laws could not be violated. Weird things happen when you make something very hot, very dense, very large or very small.

The universe is a quirky old place

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.