Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

So why we handed out ONE MILLION food parcels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    More worrying is how many people really need food parcels, but have too much pride.
    definitely agreed. Who would abuse the system for a portion of bad quality good? What about his/her dignity?
    What I pointed out was that if it is simply people abusing the system, then why would it increase 10 fold in 5 years? Has something happened that lured people into playing the system? Witchcraft maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    It would well be that the reduction in benifits allowed less room for error with how you spend, so more people would have to rely on these even though it is by their own fault.

I am not making a claim here, but statistics like this can be very missleading without looking into all the possible causes.
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    You can get free education in this country, so if you fail to take advantage of that it's nobody's fault but your own.
    You guys make little to no sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    You guys make little to no sense
    Great argument.

ReputationRep:
    Great argument.
    Ouh I'm sorry i didn't consider your intelligence level. Let me explain one of them.
    You can get free education in this country, so if you fail to take advantage of that it's nobody's fault but your own.
    Here, we can see he makes the education argument. Regardless of the fact that private education is exclusively advantageous in this country, making that claim means you disregard all those Oxbridge graduates who are working in Mc Donald's now. (unemployment genius u-n-e-m-p-l-o-y-m-e-n-t; got it ?)
    Either way, there are always people who need to the hard job which pays less. Otherwise, it would be a mess. He who makes 6 pounds an hour, makes less than 10k a year (6 pounds X 30 hpwX 52 weeks) will find it extremely difficult to make his life. You understand now?

ReputationRep:
    Ouh I'm sorry i didn't consider your intelligence level. Let me explain one of them.

Here, we can see he makes the education argument. Regardless of the fact that private education is exclusively advantageous in this country, making that claim means you disregard all those Oxbridge graduates who are working in Mc Donald's now. (unemployment genius u-e-m-p-l-o-y-m-e-n-t; got it ?)
    Either way, there are always people who need to the hard job which pays less. Otherwise, it would be a mess. He who makes 6 pounds an hour, makes less than 10k a year (6 pounds X 30 hpwX 52 weeks) will find it extremely difficult to make his life. You understand now?
    You have just argued against a point made by someone else, you still haven't said anything against what I said.

ReputationRep:
    You have just argued against a point made by someone else, you still haven't said anything against what I said.
    Against? I agree with what you said. I made a 'great argument'. Concise and meaningful. Right wing people make no sense. They just defend the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    Well, why would we help the poor when we could spend millions on the military? Let's just tell them to work harder and that they're immoral scroungers if they disobey.

Implying free education is good.

ReputationRep:
    Against? I agree with what you said. I made a 'great argument'. Concise and meaningful. Right wing people make no sense. They just defend the status quo.
    My original point was about how many of this million people used food banks due to their own mistakes or bad decisions. I should point out that I meant (admittedly did not say) short term bad decisions like spending money on the wrong things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)

why should I care more about a stranger starving in Bradford than I do about a stranger starving in Bangladesh?
    You shouldn't care more you dingbat. That Bangladeshi is as much a person as that bloke from bradford. It is nationalism which makes people care more about their fellow countrymen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You shouldn't care more you dingbat. That Bangladeshi is as much a person as that bloke from bradford. It is nationalism which makes people care more about their fellow countrymen.
    Best word to use. And we should not forget that Bangladesh is poor for a reason:yep:

ReputationRep:
    My original point was about how many of this million people used food banks due to their own mistakes or bad decisions. I should point out that I meant (admittedly did not say) short term bad decisions like spending money on the wrong things.
    This again proves my point that you make no sense. Of you mean drugs? Then I shall remind you that 80% of addictions are caused by poverty. You should see what Russel Brand had to say about this issue in his Paxman interview. A government that is not responding to their needs, people who are left helpless and have nothing else in their lives to make their day resort to drugs. Although I'd seriously doubt that anyone would buy drugs instead of food when their hungry.

ReputationRep:
    This again proves my point that you make no sense. Of you mean drugs? Then I shall the you that 80% addictions are caused by poverty. You should see what Russel Brand had to say about this issue in his Paxman interview. A government that is not responding to their needs, people who are left helpless and have nothing else in their lives to make their day resort to drugs. Although I'd seriously doubt that anyone would buy drugs instead of food when their hungry.
    Drugs is one thing, but I mean any spending of money on products you don't need when you are at risk of not being able to afford food. I do not consider that the fault of the government. All I am asking for is more statistics on this case because on it's own the headline means nothing. If it turned out that everyone who got food parcels only got them because they prioritised sky tv over food I would consider it a very missleading story.

ReputationRep:
    Why do they need Food Banks? Why are they wasting money on booze, **** & drugs??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Daily mirror. Therefore lies *cough piers morgan* or misinterpretation.

I think that since we have been in one of the worst recessions in human history, the fact that only 1 million food parcels (debateable in itself) have been sent out is something to be celebrated. Remember, this does not mean 1 million people are on food parcels, but rather 1 million meals provided. (Given 1 person eats 21 meals a week, it all adds up and is actually quite low)

Of course, if Labour were not a party of retards, none of this would if happened.

Oh and the photo is fake. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not true, food parcels have about a weeks worth of food in them

ReputationRep:

Here, we can see he makes the education argument. Regardless of the fact that private education is exclusively advantageous in this country, making that claim means you disregard all those Oxbridge graduates who are working in Mc Donald's now. (unemployment genius u-e-m-p-l-o-y-m-e-n-t; got it ?)
    I don't care much for your tone. Private education does not provide a serious advantage to pupils given that universities take this into account and expect less of under-performing state schools. The top universities are filled with people from struggling backgrounds.

The point I am making is a simple one. Regardless of your background, it is possible to become a lawyer, doctor, engineer etc. if you are capable and industrious enough.

Should you end up working at McDonald's or being unemployed, that is wholly your responsibility for not having made yourself employable enough.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care much for your tone. Private education does not provide a serious advantage to pupils given that universities take this into account and expect less of under-performing state schools. The top universities are filled with people from struggling backgrounds.

The point I am making is a simple one. Regardless of your background, it is possible to become a lawyer, doctor, engineer etc. if you are capable and industrious enough.

Should you end up working at McDonald's or being unemployed, that is wholly your responsibility for not having made yourself employable enough.
    I'm so sick and tired of this argument. Literally, since I signed up on TSR this state vs private education was primarily what I had to argue. I'd appreciate if someone else could explain this to him.
    Meanwhile, I thought this BBC (yes your dear old BBC) documentary could help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Why do they need Food Banks? Why are they wasting money on booze, **** & drugs??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they don't. Its not like an ordinary privileged person spends all his/her money on alcohol and drugs. It is those from the deprived areas who resort to substance abuse for stress and lack of excitement in their repetitive life. Due to a feeling of being deserted by a government that doesn't represent them.
    Besides, what about their children? What have they done that makes you want more than them?
    Your attitude stinks. As a young person, do you think that, with that attitude, you will be able help other people in the near future? And be a positive member of society ?
    Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we shouldn't expect much from a system that allows hereditary seats in the house of lords. Change yourself and help others change themselves.

ReputationRep:
    they don't. Its not like an ordinary privileged person spends all his/her money on alcohol and drugs. It is those from the deprived areas who resort to substance abuse for stress and lack of excitement in their repetitive life. Due to a feeling of being deserted by a government that doesn't represent them.
    Besides, what about their children? What have they done that makes you want more than them?
    Your attitude stinks. As a young person, do you think that, with that attitude, you will be able help other people in the near future? And be a positive member of society ?
    Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we shouldn't expect much from a system that allows hereditary seats in the house of lords. Change yourself and help others change themselves.
    You can't blame the government and society for your own substance abuse problem. That's your own responsability.

ReputationRep:
    You can't blame the government and society for your own substance abuse problem. That's your own responsability.
    how about not have a government at all? Anarchism sounds not too bad does it?
    Countries with the highest drug related problem (opiates) are Iran and Afghanistan. Both very poor countries. If it was wholly our own responsibility, we would have the same rates of drug Abuse in every country.It is the culture, government campaigns, legislation, welfare, access to support etc.

You seem to be blaming everything on the individual and this is either a very stupid or an extremely weak argument. Because then you would suggest that our democracy and political system means nothing and we can make no change so better just go home. Until technology grows, we will have manual workers and people who simply cannot work due to various legitimate reasons. and we need to provide our best for them. We need to ensure that they(the needy) get paid enough to make a living and have a happy and prosperous life. What would happen if we did that? A select few will pay less visits to Harrods and eat less Caviar-as simple as that. Why can't you understand?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sick and tired of this argument. Literally, since I signed up on TSR this state vs private education was primarily what I had to argue. I'd appreciate if someone else could explain this to him.
    Meanwhile, I thought this BBC (yes your dear old BBC) documentary could help you.
    Not sure why you're calling it my "dear old BBC". The BBC is a left-wing organisation so I thought you would be more partial to it. The documentary deals only with informal work experience. If you don't know anyone who's not a lawyer or a banker, you can still do work experience and these
    placements are often reserved for those from difficult backgrounds. e.g.

http://www.allenovery.com/corporate-...xperience.aspx

"We have a number of work experience opportunities for school-age students. We seek to prioritise those students who have the fewest opportunities to access work experience. We are a founding member of PRIME. This means we focus the majority of our work experience on state school students who are likely to be first in their family to attend university, or are or have been eligible for free school meals for the majority of their schooling (or attended a school where the proportion of free school meals was significantly above the regional average). We were also the first law firm to sign up to the Business Compact, so we are committed to providing fair access for local students."

Accept it. The opportunities are there if you wish to take them.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.