ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I'd play a 4-2-3-1:

Hart
    Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines
    Henderson Gerrard
    Oxlade, Barkley, Sterling
    Sturridge

At CB, it's not impossible to consider John Stones starting. Jagielka has been out for a while now, not sure when he's coming back. Stones is inexperienced but he might have the edge in terms of fitness.

As I see it, Rooney is getting dropped. Sturridge has been more lethal this season and I think there are players that can offer more than Rooney from that AM position. Rooney's main attribute from there is the long ball out wide to wingers, but Gerrard can do that just as well as Rooney can, so that's no reason to have him in the team.
    A slightly off form Wayne Rooney is a must better choice than Barkley.
    John Stones won't start unless we have an injury crisis. He's inexperienced and not good enough to start (might scrape into the squad because we lack many quality CBs).
    I would be surprised if both AOC and Sterling start as Hodgson seems to prefer defensive over attack so I can see Milner starting in AOC's place. AOC will be a great option off the bench though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick Fosbury)
    Sturridge
    Sterling Lallana Milner
    Henderson Carrick
    Baines Terry Cahill Johnson
    Hart

Side actually has a vague semblance of balance to it. People will hate on me for including Bayern Munich slayer, but they don't understand knockout football. Arguably drop him for the joke team we face (Costa Rica?).
    Costa Rica aren't a joke team. Gerrard will start if he's not injured as he's our captain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRW1996)
    A slightly off form Wayne Rooney is a must better choice than Barkley.
    John Stones won't start unless we have an injury crisis. He's inexperienced and not good enough to start (might scrape into the squad because we lack many quality CBs).
    I would be surprised if both AOC and Sterling start as Hodgson seems to prefer defensive over attack so I can see Milner starting in AOC's place. AOC will be a great option off the bench though.
    I think Barkley is way better than Rooney in that position. Barkley can beat players and pull of some tidy passing; Rooney can't do that.

ReputationRep:
    I think Barkley is way better than Rooney in that position. Barkley can beat players and pull of some tidy passing; Rooney can't do that.
    Have you been listening to pundits/journalists too much? Barkley has been over hyped, like the majority of English youngsters. He may have potential to be a great player but to even suggest he's 'way better' than Rooney is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge
    Sterling Lallana Milner
    Henderson Carrick
    Baines Terry Cahill Johnson
    Hart

Side actually has a vague semblance of balance to it. People will hate on me for including Bayern Munich slayer, but they don't understand knockout football. Arguably drop him for the joke team we face (Costa Rica?).
    I think there is defo a role for milner in the side. I'd probably go with your side except swap carrick for gerrard.

I'd also agree with not starting rooney, when he plays we seem to build the whole team around him and he rarely produces top form this inevitably leads to playing other plays such as sturridge out of position.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been listening to pundits/journalists too much? Barkley has been over hyped, like the majority of English youngsters. He may have potential to be a great player but to even suggest he's 'way better' than Rooney is laughable.
    I've seen a decent amount of him this season and a lot of Rooney. Rooney just doesn't offer much from there imo. The only way he does is if a team plays with box-to-box wingers who are very pacey, or a striker that plays on the last man. But it's like I said, Gerrard can do that too, so why include Rooney just for that? It's better to have Barkley there surely, as he can actually pass at short range, which Rooney cannot do. He's also brilliant on the ball, that's undeniable.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a decent amount of him this season and a lot of Rooney. Rooney just doesn't offer much from there imo. The only way he does is if a team plays with box-to-box wingers who are very pacey, or a striker that plays on the last man. But it's like I said, Gerrard can do that too, so why include Rooney just for that? It's better to have Barkley there surely, as he can actually pass at short range, which Rooney cannot do. He's also brilliant on the ball, that's undeniable.
    Ross Barkley is sick. Would choose him over Rooney any day, Rooney just hasn't got that pace about him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VexedM8)
    Ross Barkley is sick. Would choose him over Rooney any day, Rooney just hasn't got that pace about him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully Ross isn't too ill or he won't be able to play in Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    I know who our opposition would rather see us play. Rooney has that fear factor that Ross doesn't have.

Rooney does so much more than a few long balls to wingers. Barkley main strength over Rooney is his ability to run at players, I wouldn't say Barkley's short range passing is anything special. Wilshere is England's best player at that 'tika-taka' style football.

Lastly, Rooney has a lot more experience than Barkley which is vital as this England team lacks experience.

ReputationRep:
    All this discussion about an event that will last one week- for England anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Costa Rica aren't a joke team. Gerrard will start if he's not injured as he's our captain.
    'Your England XI for the World Cup'. We're not discussing the side Roy will put out, keep up.

Gerrard is the biggest myth in football. Just because his legs have gone so he can't stray quite as far out of position doesn't mean he's now a defensive midfielder.

He's a luxury player in a vitally important position. To play Gerrard you'd need to drop Lallana imo.

ReputationRep:
    'Your England XI for the World Cup'. We're not discussing the side Roy will put out, keep up.

Gerrard is the biggest myth in football. Just because his legs have gone so he can't stray quite as far out of position doesn't mean he's now a defensive midfielder.

He's a luxury player in a vitally important position. To play Gerrard you'd need to drop Lallana imo.
    Why would you need to drop Lallana?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to drop Lallana?
    Because every team needs a certain number of players who will just do their job to complement the one or two who are there to make things happen. In knockout football you need even more of those players.

ReputationRep:
    Because every team needs a certain number of players who will just do their job to complement the one or two who are there to make things happen. In knockout football you need even more of those players.
    Which type of player are you refering to when you say 'those players'?

ReputationRep:
    Which type of player are you refering to when you say 'those players'?
    Lallana, Gerrard, most strikers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronHayward)
    4-3-3 brah

Sturridge
    The Ox -------- Sterling

Lallana Hendo
    Gerrard

Baines Jagielka Cahill Johnson

Hart

I decided to put all the LFC players on the right-hand side... so that they can link up n stuff.
    That's a strong starting line-up.

(Original post by Thugnificent.)
    rooney should not start

is he still the poster boy for engerlund in 2014?
    I've always considered dropping Rooney, but I figured that that's because he plays absolutely **** in AM. But in the striker role, England pretty much have a "world class" front two, if you consider both of them individually playing up front. I'm just slightly worried about the link-up play between Rooney and Sturridge...it's non-existent at times.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.