The Student Room Group

Job prospects after a degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hihoho
Haha, that's the first time I hear this, that's great! In this case, it seems the client was intimidating the engineer to report the structural stability as "OK", we have a thing in structural engineering called CYA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_your_ass - which is essentially being slightly ambiguous when writing reports about structures to minimize liabilities, this makes us lawyers too. This sport is very often practiced by Geotechnical Engineers because soil is highly inhomogeneous from one point to the next, from one plane of stress to another.

Here's a sample letter I have saved from a senior:

Spoiler

Hahahahaha that is hilarious. I like how it's immediately ambiguous from the very first paragraph "this report attempts to do so" and not "this report confirms what we have seen" etc.
Reply 21
Original post by dragonkeeper999
The job prospects for Engineers are generally very good, however an engineering degree is not necessarily the only way in. It is important to get work experience/ internships/ placements in order to get a job after graduation, and they can be very competitive to get, particularly if you don't get into a 'top' university/ have poor grades/ aren't very good at the whole job application/ interview process. And then after you graduate if you don't get a 2:1 your job prospects can be very limited. The advantage of the university route is that if you do well you can enter the profession at a higher level and it may open up more careers/ potential promotions in the future.
For many people, an apprenticeship is probably a better option - you get paid (admittedly not much, but it's better than a growing 9k+ debt each year) and get real hands on experience. Also, a company is already investing in you - so you are very likely to be offered a job at the company afterwards.
There is always the option to go on and do a degree later on in your life - my dad didn't start his engineering degree until his late 20s and it is not uncommon to see older students around uni. There is the possibility that your company could sponsor you through your degree if it is in their interests as well.
If you are not a fan of the maths/ theory side, then university may not be great for you - engineering courses are generally VERY mathematical and at some unis there is pretty limited hands-on content.

This helped alot thank you. Do you know of any other avenues to go down rather than University or Apprenticeships? Is my BTEC Level 3 in Engineering effectively wasted if I don't go to University or gain an Apprenticeship or can it be used for other jobs as an equivalent to 3 A-levels? (I've been told that it is the equivalent to that but may be mistaken)
Original post by Ranagazoo
This helped alot thank you. Do you know of any other avenues to go down rather than University or Apprenticeships? Is my BTEC Level 3 in Engineering effectively wasted if I don't go to University or gain an Apprenticeship or can it be used for other jobs as an equivalent to 3 A-levels? (I've been told that it is the equivalent to that but may be mistaken)

No problem :smile:
I think that university and apprentiships are the main ways in, but you may be able to go directly into an engineering related job with your BTEC - however you will probably still need some additional training and would be entering the profession right at the bottom, whereas the other routes may alow you to be more qualified and enter at a more senior, higher pay role. There are also pretty limited entry level engineering jobs and they could be fairly competitive and boring - even though initially you would start off being paid more than the apprentiship wage there are less opportunities for advancement in the future.
Basically, I would recommend the apprentiship for the better long term job prospects :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending