Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Would you class me as a 'resitter'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeilahDeere)
    Okay so guys I need a little help and advice, following on from this current situation, this is a chance for me to think about uni and sixth forms etc. If I was still to take biology, chemistry (and most likely two other humanities) I should more or less still be applicable for medicine however, I've had a deep think whether my new sixth form was for me.
    This has left me with three options:

1) Stay at my current sixth form: it's a very academic sixth form but will only make me applicable to nottingham and east anglia so only 2 universities, this sixth form do make things very hard but when it comes to UCAS they make the most of it to help you get into uni.

2) Move back to my old school: I've had problems here and it would take me a while to settle back in, this makes me eligible to apply to nottingham, east anglia AND kings college london making it 3! However, the school isn't very academic and is quite an art/theatre/sporty school and they've never handled a medical applicant before which makes me worried if I do end up applying in the UCAS cycle.

3) Move somewhere else (parent recently got a new job in norwich (near east anglia I believe) and start fresh in a completely different sixth form, however this puts me back down to 2 options, east anglia and nottingham again so..

what shall I do? sorry for the essay, but I feel that now is a good time to make decisions, I will hopefully be applying abroad as my back up.

Thank you in advance as to whoever ends up reading this
    I'm confused. What exactly is making you think you'll only be eligible to apply to Nottingham/UEA/KCL?

And I don't see how your school never having handled a medical applicant before will matter in the slightest. Schools/Sixth Forms are full of myths and terrible advice when it comes to uni applications. Just get your information from TSR. All your school has to do is give you predicted grades of at least AAA and write you a decent reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm confused. What exactly is making you think you'll only be eligible to apply to Nottingham/UEA/KCL?

And I don't see how your school never having handled a medical applicant before will matter in the slightest. Schools/Sixth Forms are full of myths and terrible advice when it comes to uni applications. Just get your information from TSR. All your school has to do is give you predicted grades of at least AAA and write you a decent reference.
    Sorry i didn't make it clear. To be eligible for medical degrees with a foundation year you have to fill some criteria e.g, where you live, household income, etc.

When i went back to my previous school they said they would prefer me to stay at a grammar where they'll be able to help me in making a strong application as they wouldn't know how to assist me in a medical one but I guess you're right about their parts in the ucas application of prediction and references, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    What exams has she sat for you to classify her as that?

OP, you'll just be retaking the school year - and as you haven't sat any of the exams, the results you'll receive next summer will count as your "first sitting" you won't be a victim of the "Resit policy" of any uni.
    What is the resit policy? Does it apply if you only resit one unit in order to push your overall mark up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjmichaeljadson)
    What is the resit policy? Does it apply if you only resit one unit in order to push your overall mark up?
    Some Universities seem to look down on any form of resitting (but that's usually for ultra-competitive couses like Med), others are fine with it so long as all your resits are within the normal time frame (2 years?) spent covering the qualification...:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    Some Universities seem to look down on any form of resitting (but that's usually for ultra-competitive couses like Med), others are fine with it so long as all your resits are within the normal time frame (2 years?) spent covering the qualification...:dontknow:
    Oh okay thanks!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.