Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Dating Advice for Shorter Guys Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was all set to deride you when I saw that your first two points were based in PUA theory, but actually the rest of what you wrote it pretty solid.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who actually considers this a deal breaker is a moron and not worth your time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    jesus christ. seriously why is this necessary.
    i'm shorter than the person who posted this thread but yet i really couldn't give a crap about height differences or whatnot. seriously if a girl is willing to completely rule out going for a guy because of their height then i dont really want to go for them. height doesn't mean anything imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musie Suzie)
    I was all set to deride you when I saw that your first two points were based in PUA theory, but actually the rest of what you wrote it pretty solid.
    There aren't based on PUA theory.

ReputationRep:
    5' 8" is still taller than me anyway, height really shouldn't matter tbh..

ReputationRep:
    People who are saying that 5"8 is not short are correct. However being a genuine 5"8 man barefoot and claiming 5"8 are two very different things. Of all the guys who have claimed to be 5"8 in this thread I'd be surprised if any of them are genuinely over 5"7. I'm a genuine 5"10, and people of my height and shorter often claim to be 6ft

ReputationRep:
    Like **** you're short. You're nearly a foot taller than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahatma ghandi)
    People who are saying that 5"8 is not short are correct. However being a genuine 5"8 man barefoot and claiming 5"8 are two very different things. Of all the guys who have claimed to be 5"8 in this thread I'd be surprised if any of them are genuinely over 5"7. I'm a genuine 5"10, and people of my height and shorter often claim to be 6ft
    5'8 is short because it's shorter than the UK average. It's also short in bar and nightclub environments. Many girls will be as tall or taller than a 5'8 male because of the high heels they wear.

Often times, the height difference won't be all that noticeable; but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gee)
    5'8 is short because it's shorter than the UK average. It's also short in bar and nightclub environments. Many girls will be as tall or taller than a 5'8 male because of the high heels they wear.

Often times, the height difference won't be all that noticeable; but still.
    5"11 is above the UK average, is that tall? I don't think so really. I think genuine 5"8 to 5"11 people fall into an average zone, of been neither short nor tall

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend in heels is definitely taller than I am, and honestly I don't care. I'm not the most confident guy around, but when you're with someone who's right for you, there's no way to feel small around them.

ReputationRep:
    5"11 is above the UK average, is that tall? I don't think so really. I think genuine 5"8 to 5"11 people fall into an average zone, of been neither short nor tall
    Tall and short are arbitrary terms that only have any significance in relative terms. The point is, although the average female height may be shorter than the average male height; they often wear high heels.

And plus; I made this on the off-chance that a guy may like a girl who is somewhat taller than he is. It's better to give things every chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckylaurax)
    There's loads of ways to build confidence even if you start from the bottom . Join hobbies, learn new skills etc. as this helps build up a person's self esteem and social skills which will make it a lot easier to talk to girls. A bonus of joining hobbies means that you will be able to talk to a female who has similar interests as you and it will help her look beyond your height. Most of the advice given by OP won't work if a girl firmly believes she will not date short guys, it's all about preferences at the end of the day. Some girls will like tall guys, some girls will like short guys, it's a mix really . Obsessing over your height will actually drive girls away for a variety of reasons.
    Yes, I agree with much of what you say. Overall, that's probably a much better way to start a relationship with a girl, get over height issues and gain confidence. However, the OP seems to specifically be targeting the problem of how shorter guys should approach taller girls anywhere- whether it be out on the streets or perhaps in a club- and not just in social clubs. I think some of the psychological discussion that the OP has brought forth is well worth it and perhaps not as obvious as most advice given.

Often women don't quite know what they want. They may well have a list of qualities they desire in a Mr Perfect but we all know that goes out the window when they meet someone who they feel is right for them. Usually, the person who is "right for them" is someone who they just find funny or self-assured. So the question is: how does one come across as self-assured in front of a girl who is trying to chip away at your confidence by making you feel small. The answer quite obviously is to maintain eye contact, show them you are cool , confident and also possibly remind them they also have some off-putting imperfections that you are willing to look past...for a night or two

ReputationRep:
    I am 5'8 barefoot or well 5'7.72 to be more exact at 172 cm. My girlfriend had us measured as she wasn't sure who was taller. It turns out I was taller by 3/4 of an inch.

Was a nice surprise for me as my sister who is 5'7 has always made out that I am shorter than her even though she realised otherwise because she thought it was funny to pick away at my self-confidence lol.

It's all about confidence. I'm only 5"6-7, but it doesn't bother me at all. I don't let it get to me and I don't shy away. Even though I'm "short", I'm still able to get myself heard in a group and lead a conversation. I don't feel judged or ostracised or anything because of my height, because if you don't let it affect you, most people won't care or even notice! If they are bothered about your height, then **** them!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.