Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xvmmii)
    Hello.
    I've firmed Cardiff for physio. I'm looking at liberty house, because it's so close to Heath, but I am a touch worried that I'll get put in a party flat! There doesn't really appear to be any other option though, other than finding private accommodation, which I think runs the risk of isolating you from uni life a little. Hopefully there's loads of us in a similar situation, and they'll try to house us boring old gits together!
    Hey, good to hear I won't be the only mature student studying Physio at Cardiff this year! I am going to look for private accommodation rather than halls. I think that as long as I can find a nice house in a good area then I won't feel too out of things...

ReputationRep:
    If any mature students are looking to go into private accommodation , give me a message as I'm looking to find some house mates and a place! I really didn't fancy the idea of going into halls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmvm)
    Hey, good to hear I won't be the only mature student studying Physio at Cardiff this year! I am going to look for private accommodation rather than halls. I think that as long as I can find a nice house in a good area then I won't feel too out of things...
    Well that's put a cat amongst the pigeons. I had decided on halls, but your arguments are compelling! Reading about other's nightmares also scares me a little, although I'd assume that liberty, as a dedicated health halls, would have less time for partying. It's a bit of a coin flip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rapunzel1988)
    How come you asked to move? was it that bad at senghennydd? I am dreading this!!!!
    Sorry for taking so long to answer.
    I wanted to move because of the noise levels, also I was a single mature student in a flat with 10 nineteen year olds. The noise from outside was the worst as my room faced the courtyard where the smoking area was, and due to the architecture of the building the smoke kept blowing into my room (I was on the top floor, but it was horrible for an asthmatic person like me).
    There was also a lot of noise from the stairwell.

I hope you figure out what to do, just know that if you sign for a hall, it is close to impossible to get out of that contract. Even if I had an illness, with a letter from my doctor, they just kept offering me other rooms.
    The same thing is a problem in private accommodation if you go through a letting company. You normally sign a fixed term lease, which means you are stuck until the contract expires. This was a shock to me as I have never heard of letting contracts without termination clauses. (I'm not from Britain).

Whatever happens, good luck to all new students and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

ReputationRep:
    Just bumping this as it's so close to starting term :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just bum this as it's so close to starting term :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, I'm a mature student as well starting in September. Will be living living in Talybont south, getting a little worried about not getting any sleep for the first couple of weeks, so will probably just join in! Hope it will calm down a little after freshers.

Repunzel1988, I noticed you were doing a science preliminary year, i'm doing chemistry with a preliminary year so think we will have some of the same modules. Nice to know I will not be the only mature student! Have you had much information about the prelim year yet?

Also how ' mature'/ old! Is everyone ( If you don't mind me asking)?

ReputationRep:
    I was originally supposed to go into halls but then decided against it at the last minute. Renting a room at a private house in Cathays. Still a bit nervous as I don't know anyone in the house, but I'm hoping it'll be less hectic than halls.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm not a mature student but I am off to Cardiff in September too. I went through clearing, and so didn't get my first choice of halls. I'm in Roy Jenkins which is known to be quieter as it smaller and not so close to all the other halls, but i would really like to be in Talybont or somewhere with a few more people. If anyone is worried that their halls may be a bit too noisy we could definitely look into swapping? Not sure if it's done but I think I've read somewhere its a possibility! Let me know if anyone is interested!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone planning on attending the mature student induction? Had an email about it today.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still looking for a flat for this year and would prefer to live with mature students if anyone knows of a rooom going.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'm from scotland and don't pay water rates, does anyone know how much utilities cost per month (roughly) with water rates included?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tore8)
    Is anyone planning on attending the mature student induction? Had an email about it today.
    I got that email too, I don't think I'll be going though. Are you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got that email too, I don't think I'll be going though. Are you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I will, I thought it migt be aimed more at people who will commute from home than those living in halls. It also seems to be a long day.
    Would be nice to meet some more mature students but maybe over a pint or a coffee not a full day!

ReputationRep:
    I do not start until next year but hello everyone. For me it is a bit of a different story. As a former hard-core backpacker and hitchhiker I have been living (and partying) in hostels around the world almost every year since I was 21 (I just turned 32 last month), with people from 19 years old to over 50, so to be honest I do not care who I end up living with; I got used to sleeping next door to parties in those places so I'll feel right at home. I will be applying for University residence, probably Talybont. I hope you can all get some good sleep wherever you end up.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.