Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR PHYSICS B G492~ 9rd June 2014~ AS Physics Watch

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on section c questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie001)
    Any thoughts on section c questions?
    I reckon its gotta be suvat and f=ma for the second question. First and last question will probly include some uncertainty stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Judging from past papers, G491 seems to alternate between being fairly simple and really tricky. G492 is conceptually harder for most, but you don't (usually, and hopefully) get many freak questions which just seem to come from nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carla Huynh)
    I reckon its gotta be suvat and f=ma for the second question. First and last question will probly include some uncertainty stuff...
    Ah I hope so. Section C is freaking me out the most, for the most part I find A/B are reasonably doable. SUVAT would be a gift from heaven. What sort of things do you think could come up for the pendulum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittyoliviam)
    Ah I hope so. Section C is freaking me out the most, for the most part I find A/B are reasonably doable. SUVAT would be a gift from heaven. What sort of things do you think could come up for the pendulum?
    Probly give us some numbers to put in for 1 oscillation and 10 oscillations and explain why 10 oscillations is more accurate or so etching like that. The actual equation and physics behind it isn't tested this year so I'd imagine it'll be uncertainty.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good resources on finding uncertainties?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Could someone explain to me what an 'uncertainty' is...? I don't remember covering this in class. Was it part of the coursework? I'm confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hicko)
    Hi. Could someone explain to me what an 'uncertainty' is...? I don't remember covering this in class. Was it part of the coursework? I'm confused
    An uncertainty is a level of 'inaccuracy' in any measurement and is always a inhibitor to the accuracy of any experiment.
    Say you are measuring the diameter of a copper wire trying to calculate its Young's Modulus. You will most likely use micrometer calipers to do this. A analogue micrometer often measures to 0.05 of a mm (I believe), this value is the uncertainty because the 'actual' diameter could be anywhere within that 0.05mm value. For example, "I measure a copper wire and attain a value of 3.75mm. My micrometer measures in a scale of 5mm so the uncertainty value will be placed in the middle with a uncertainty value of +- 0.025mm. Therefore the diameter could be 'actually' 3.765mm but the micrometer is incapable of measuring to such finite values."

I hope this isn't too complicated, not a particularly good explainer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicting that this paper will most likely include large amounts of QR codes and be entirely made out of graphene.

OT - Has anyone got any good sources for predictions of section C questions or anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    Absolutely dreading this exam. We've literally been taught nothing. I could manage the mechanics paper as I do maths and we have a mechanics paper in maths so it linked well into the physics mechanics. But I know nothing about this exam. So much so that I literally stop going to lessons. Just hoping that luck is on my side and I can pull it off somehow against the odds.
    Are you me ? I am literally in the same situation! My teachers are all complete piles of poop ( maybe there is a trend across the country)

what I have been doing is using youtube so so much
    . There is a really boring guy who goes through absolutely everything ( a bit like examsolutions or mygcsescience) there is also an american guy who does the same thing for AP so some of the stuff is not relevant but he does manage to make it super entertaining somehow. ( if you wan the links I can get them to you)

I really hope they give a nice exam after the hell of the last one but I fear we will not be that lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicerose2)
    Are you me ? I am literally in the same situation! My teachers are all complete piles of poop ( maybe there is a trend across the country)

what I have been doing is using youtube so so much
    . There is a really boring guy who goes through absolutely everything ( a bit like examsolutions or mygcsescience) there is also an american guy who does the same thing for AP so some of the stuff is not relevant but he does manage to make it super entertaining somehow. ( if you wan the links I can get them to you)

I really hope they give a nice exam after the hell of the last one but I fear we will not be that lucky!
    Do you have the links?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i did chemistry with the ocr board and the advanced notice was seriously weird, i know that isn't much consolation but just a warning quite a few questions came up that were weird but i think if we have a bit more time than we did in the first exam for each question then it should be fine as you can normally find the answer in the advance notice if you understand it as a whole and it would of helped to read it a bit before hand so you know kinda where you are looking for answers in the exam rather than flipping through randomly and stressing yourself out :P

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me with jan 2012 question 11 b please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdfskdfk)
    Could someone help me with jan 2012 question 11 b please?
    Hi.

So in part (a), we know that the mean acceleration in the x-axis is -0.6m/s^2.

In part (b), they tell us that the mean acceleration in the y-axis is +1.6m/s^2.

So when we plot this (we can plot it like any other force diagram in mechanics), we have a scaled diagram - let's say 1 block = 0.2m/s^2.

We have something that looks like this: [imagine the x is the origin and there is a magical, invisible grid!]

/|\
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    < - - - x

To find the magnitude of the resultant acceleration, we just use Pythagoras. | R | = root (0.6^2 + 1.6^2) = 1.7088... = 1.7m/s^2 (2sf).

To find the direction (I'm going to calculate it as a compass bearing), we just use trigonometry. Bearing = 270* + tan^-1(1.6/0.6) = 270* + 69.44...* = 339.44...* = 339* (3sf) - mark scheme says 340*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smerkz)
    I'm predicting that this paper will most likely include large amounts of QR codes and be entirely made out of graphene.

OT - Has anyone got any good sources for predictions of section C questions or anything similar?
    this just made my day of revision a whole lot more amusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
    Do you have the links?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think this may be what she is talking about. It's just a playlist of videos covering most of section 2 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u_M...kRJYih0l6nn_tt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smerkz)
    haha, and don't forget we need to revise the mass of a raindrop, and look up all the different densities of every material!!

ReputationRep:
    For the first article, the oscilloscope. Is the uncertainty +- a sub division or half a sub division??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emfp21)
    For the first article, the oscilloscope. Is the uncertainty +- a sub division or half a sub division??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought the the uncertainty was just he thickness of the trace which is like +- 0.1 of a sub division

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carla Huynh)
    I thought the the uncertainty was just he thickness of the trace which is like +- 0.1 of a sub division
    My teacher said half a sub division, another one said a whole sub division :/
    Anyone???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.