Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Is there any decent ISP in UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatlemania)
    I have Sky at home and it's always good, don't have any real problems. I installed a wifi card (PCI connection) in my desktop and even that has consistently good signal strength.

In my uni home we use Virgin. I admit there are six of us, but that shouldn't be a great problem, and when we are all using the internet (very often obviously), it is quite slow.
    There's just 4 using the virgin connection, during one of my many altercations with them.... they tried to convince me that 4 was too many. Our usage isn't over average either (by their own admission).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Virgin has become a dead horse with students; all students sign up on the promise of speed and being students they use their connects heavily, contention in student areas is thus incredibly high and Virgin's traffic management kicks in from the student oriented use and shafts everyone.

Though everyone uses BT's copper, they will have their own operating policies and customer service.
    If there are a fair number of you in the house go with fibre to the cabinet (FTTC), Sky and BT both operate no traffic shaping/management or throttling policies. Or at least they did when I signed up 7 months ago.
    Sky has provided me what they advertised and only during really busy times, even then only an hour or two, will the speed drop. The drops have never been more than 10% of my line speed though.

Your mother's property should be getting at least 15Mbps else they have breached contract. Ask for someone to be sent out and recompensation for the unusable internet.

For what it's worth, I had Virgin 50Mbps as a student and now have Sky's Fibre Unlimited (38Mbps). Sky's has been far more reliable and consistent.

(Original post by ThatPerson)
    I've used Virgin Broadband for a few years now and never had any major problems. My speed is consistently ~60mb/s. I have FTTC.

I guess it might be dependent on your area mostly. I've never had to use customer support for long, so I don't know how helpful they are.
    FTTC is the term for BT's fibre cables that run from the exchange to the little green cabinets on your street. Virgin's cable is of the coaxial kind that they laid many years ago. They're two very different pieces of equipment; Only Virgin use their cable, everyone else uses BT's fibre to the cabinet (FTTC).

Can I just ask which package you pay for? As I know a number of people on the 120Mbps package who only got 60Mbps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Virgin has become a dead horse with students; all students sign up on the promise of speed and being students they use their connects heavily, contention in student areas is thus incredibly high and Virgin's traffic management kicks in from the student oriented use and shafts everyone.

Though everyone uses BT's copper, they will have their own operating policies and customer service.
    If there are a fair number of you in the house go with fibre to the cabinet (FTTC), Sky and BT both operate no traffic shaping/management or throttling policies. Or at least they did when I signed up 7 months ago.
    Sky has provided me what they advertised and only during really busy times, even then only an hour or two, will the speed drop. The drops have never been more than 10% of my line speed though.

Your mother's property should be getting at least 15Mbps else they have breached contract. Ask for someone to be sent out and recompensation for the unusable internet.

For what it's worth, I had Virgin 50Mbps as a student and now have Sky's Fibre Unlimited (38Mbps). Sky's has been far more reliable and consistent.

FTTC is the term for BT's fibre cables that run from the exchange to the little green cabinets on your street. Virgin's cable is of the coaxial kind that they laid many years ago. They're two very different pieces of equipment; Only Virgin use their cable, everyone else uses BT's fibre to the cabinet (FTTC).

Can I just ask which package you pay for? As I know a number of people on the 120Mbps package who only got 60Mbps.
    Virgin 50mb and bt 60mb. Bt have sent a new hub which should arrive today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Virgin 50mb and bt 60mb. Bt have sent a new hub which should arrive today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, that last question as directed at ThatPerson.

Good to know nonetheless :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)

Ah, I didn't know that.

I pay for the 60Mbps package, though I believe Virgin are upgrading it to 100mbps in the summer.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.