Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B647 - Metrication (Completion) Bill 2014 Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I feel this likely costs of enacting this Bill will massively outweigh the potential benefits, so it's a no from me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    What would it actually gain us though? Do you really think in the midst of austerity and country's financial crisis people want to see this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's about finishing a transition started in the 1960s, which was originally scheduled to be completed in 1975. This isn't some new idea, it's merely tying up the loose ends.

(Original post by Lipvig)
    Nay. This could cause all sorts of problems for the older generations who still don't fully understand the metric system.
    Well they've had enough time to get to know it now. If they've been deliberately trying to avoid it it's their own fault. They've known metrication was on the way (albeit not when it would finally arrive) and should have at least got some kind of knowledge by now.

(Original post by bun)
    Definite nay. Would cause too much confusion for much of the population, would likely see an increase in road accidents and injuries, and finally... I just don't see the point.
    In what way is it beneficial to do this just because 'other countries do'?!
    Next yo'll be wanting us to drive on the wrong side of the road!
    It's only us now than use the imperial system. The US and Liberia are still using the US Customary system (which shares some but by no means all of its units with imperial). Everyone else uses metric. Believe me, if we were the only country driving on the left hand side of the road I'd be pushing for that to be changed too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I feel this likely costs of enacting this Bill will massively outweigh the potential benefits, so it's a no from me.
    And what do you see as the likely costs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    And what do you see as the likely costs?
    Replacing every single speed sign in the country for a start. What do you see as the likely financial benefits?

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to see more detailed information on the costs of this metrication (great word!), but I essentially agree and will vote with the government on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    It's about finishing a transition started in the 1960s, which was originally scheduled to be completed in 1975. This isn't some new idea, it's merely tying up the loose ends.

Well they've had enough time to get to know it now. If they've been deliberately trying to avoid it it's their own fault. They've known metrication was on the way (albeit not when it would finally arrive) and should have at least got some kind of knowledge by now.

It's only us now than use the imperial system. The US and Liberia are still using the US Customary system (which shares some but by no means all of its units with imperial). Everyone else uses metric. Believe me, if we were the only country driving on the left hand side of the road I'd be pushing for that to be changed too.
    And while you're at it, jump off a cliff just because everyone else is doing it.
    Sorry, but it's a definite nay from me. Pointless meddling
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Which system does Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    And while you're at it, jump off a cliff just because everyone else is doing it.
    Sorry, but it's a definite nay from me. Pointless meddling
    If everyone's jumping off the cliff there's got to be something good at the bottom.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Which system does Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have?
    The US uses US Customary, which is part imperial part other units entirely. All of the other countries you mention are metric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    If everyone's jumping off the cliff there's got to be something good at the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    I'd prefer to see more detailed information on the costs of this metrication (great word!), but I essentially agree and will vote with the government on this.
    You'll be the first one...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Replacing every single speed sign in the country for a start. What do you see as the likely financial benefits?
    We align ourselves with the rest of the world, we use a system that is a lot more logical, our population is familiar with one system of measurement (as supposed to the jack of all trades, master of none situation we have at the moment), our cars no longer have to be made with a speedo in miles (which is going to push up the UK market price), we have (enforced) consistency in measurement units used in retail (because price per pound looks a lot lower than price per kilogram). Okay, not all these benefits are financial, but we're a parliament not a business, making money is not our sole goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    The US uses US Customary, which is part imperial part other units entirely. All of the other countries you mention are metric.
    Canada is just like us isn't it?

(Original post by O133)
    Or they've been told there is, when actually, there isn't.

I really hate this 'other people do it this way, so it must be better, lets copy them' approach. No, no, no.

Most of the world use to drive on the left. It was Hitler and Napoleon who changed that. So there's no way we should be looking at switching - if anything, other countries can revert back.
    I realise that's not what the debate is here, but worth mentioning anyway, as its on similar lines

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn. I think we should switch on the roads, but I like the fact we measure beer in pints. It's the ideal unit.

I would support this is certain limited exceptions were instituted, and I had a better idea of how the conversion is to be achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    We align ourselves with the rest of the world, we use a system that is a lot more logical, our population is familiar with one system of measurement (as supposed to the jack of all trades, master of none situation we have at the moment), our cars no longer have to be made with a speedo in miles (which is going to push up the UK market price), we have (enforced) consistency in measurement units used in retail (because price per pound looks a lot lower than price per kilogram). Okay, not all these benefits are financial, but we're a parliament not a business, making money is not our sole goal.
    More government revenue = more wealth to be re-distributed, I thought you guys wanted that. When I go from one country to the other, within 5 minutes my mind has adjusted, I suggest that anyone clever enough to have a driving licence would be able to do this. I have never seen price per pound (weight) without price per kg alongside. What is the predicted cost?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Each speed limit sign could be converted for ~£40 a sign using sticky vinyl - I've tried digging around but I can't find the exact number of speed limit signs. The problem is the variable speed limit signs on motorways - if they cannot support the 3 digits needed for metric limits (which is a lack of foresight on the behalf of the Department for Transport) we have three options: replace them, turn them off entirely, or only use them to show limits of 90 km/h and below - which is 56 mph so not unrealistic.

Of course if this bill did pass we would need a new law changing the national speed limits to round metric values.

All other sign changes would happen when the sign is naturally replaced (about every 20 years). Alternatively if we wanted to change all the road signs at the same time it would cost £150 million.

And perhaps this video is required viewing for certain members:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    I'm torn. I think we should switch on the roads, but I like the fact we measure beer in pints. It's the ideal unit.

I would support this is certain limited exceptions were instituted, and I had a better idea of how the conversion is to be achieved.
    I'm sure if we were to exclude the head from the volume measurement the new "half" (litre) of beer would be almost identical to the old pint.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    More government revenue = more wealth to be re-distributed, I thought you guys wanted that. When I go from one country to the other, within 5 minutes my mind has adjusted, I suggest that anyone clever enough to have a driving licence would be able to do this. I have never seen price per pound (weight) without price per kg alongside. What is the predicted cost?
    I thing the more government revenue = more wealth to be re-distributed is a gross oversimplification. Our party wants to do what is best for society - and part of that is allowing them one, logical, system of measurement for all their needs.

I'm not talking about just driving when I talk about competence. The fact that some things use metric and some things use imperial means that the population is generally not familiar with one system. Individual units yes, but the system (and metric is a much better system than imperial - it's very hard to argue against that) as a whole no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I'm sure if we were to exclude the head from the volume measurement the new "half" (litre) of beer would be almost identical to the old pint.
    'Barman, give me a half litre of beer'
    'Barmen, give me a pint'

One has a ring, the other doesn't.

Will this lead to litre beer glasses?

EDIT: Yes, I am quite tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I'm not talking about just driving when I talk about competence. The fact that some things use metric and some things use imperial means that the population is generally not familiar with one system. Individual units yes, but the system (and metric is a much better system than imperial - it's very hard to argue against that) as a whole no.
    The vast majority of people I suspect only drive abroad, tops one week a year. Non issue.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.