This might float your boat… Watch

cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find it intrusive.

And it's not even doing it's job seeing as it's only recommended threads I already subscribe to.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jelephant)
Of all places you could choose to put it, why there, disrupting the flow of conversation? Surely it would make far more sense to either be at the bottom of the thread or on the sidebar along with latest discussions etc.
Thanks for your suggestions elephant. There are different variations so not all of the pop ups and popping up in the same place if you get my drift! Thanks for the feedback that is noted
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cambo211)
I find it intrusive.

And it's not even doing it's job seeing as it's only recommended threads I already subscribe to.
Hey cambo211,

Thanks for letting us know - the same happens for me too so I hear what you're saying.

This is only the first test from the initial phase of dev work so it's really helpful to hear everyone's thoughts at this stage.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It looks annoying where it is. Why not just treat it as a regular 'related posts' feature and keep it at the very bottom of the page?
someone97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
It looks annoying where it is. Why not just treat it as a regular 'related posts' feature and keep it at the very bottom of the page?
yeah exactly but how many are required?
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like the concept a lot (in fact I'm pretty sure I suggested it a wee while back lol) but I think position wise would be much better in latest discussion as a tab like the popular discussions or even a sidebar widget on it's own that could be disabled.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
Hello james1211,

We're currently testing this so you are one of the lucky few selected at random - it's an AB test.

Thank you for the feedback

Could it be positioned better if we were to go ahead with this in the future?

What is interesting and helpful is that when I just posted in N&FB your (this) thread just came up as a thread as one I might be interested in so it made me aware immediately.

You guys haven't been selected at random to try this out as a test.

We'll post a screen print so you can have a look
Can you please remove me from the test? It's incredibly annoying.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Can you please remove me from the test? It's incredibly annoying.
:ditto:

I know how to find threads that interest me - I don't want to be reminded every time I post if I wanted this I'd rather it was a widget not displayed in my posts when I'm posting.

Edit: also BUGREPORT on threads where I've posted it is not flagging the thread as read (so my own post is bumping the thread to the top of my watched threads list :| )
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
:ditto:

I know how to find threads that interest me - I don't want to be reminded every time I post if I wanted this I'd rather it was a widget not displayed in my posts when I'm posting.

Edit: also BUGREPORT on threads where I've posted it is not flagging the thread as read (so my own post is bumping the thread to the top of my watched threads list :| )
I wouldn't mind it if it appeared in a sidebar. It's very irritating having it so prominently displayed just below your new post and it is actually distracting, as I like (as do many people) to give my fresh posting a quick once over to make sure there are no typos and I didn't offend anyone.

Could the programmers be persuaded to fix things that are actually broken in the site, like the pathetically slow, inadequate and irritating search? Or the fact that lots of us still can't see the whole list of who is following or who we are following?

It might be best to get the site working properly before providing additional features that we don't want or need.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought that this function had been taken off my account. Unfortunately, it's back. :sad:

It is now showing up in random places in threads, not just at the foot of a new posting.
lyrical_lie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't really like where it is and it gives me threads that like others have said I have already subscribed to or are megathreads which I have no interest in. Also do we not already have this with latest discussions etc? I do find it a bit irritating too as it's so big and in the middle of my screen.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From my vague memories of working on TSR from the other side:

If this thing is using the original vbulletin search tool OR the "related threads" vbulletin feature then there's a pretty good chance that it is *this* that is causing the problems with the site going slow atm.

There is a reason that both of those features were turned off/replaced with less resource intensive substitutes.

WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my view on the float your boat thing is its not bad idea, however my mine gripe with it is it comes up on your post. so if it comes up but doesnt get attached to my post it would be fine.
WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Question

do other users see the 'float your boat' thing in your posts?
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WeeGuy)
Question

do other users see the 'float your boat' thing in your posts?
(Original post by WeeGuy)
my view on the float your boat thing is its not bad idea, however my mine gripe with it is it comes up on your post. so if it comes up but doesnt get attached to my post it would be fine.
:nah: My understanding is that this is something that only you will see, and only immediately after posting. Once the thread moves on/you refresh the page, you'll not see the boxout.
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not really necessary - I'm capable of finding threads I might 'enjoy' (using this term loosely), especially if they're based on threads I've already visited...
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh right, that's deliberate! I kept seeing it and thought it was a glitch...

But yeah, I echo what others have said about the positioning. Especially not keen on it showing up 'within' users' posts between the content and the sig - just seems a little odd and disruptive, and makes the post it shows up in seem too much like one of the adverts, which I normally no more than glance over without reading properly. If it had its own little section below your post that might work okay, although if as Illusionary says it's only visible to you and moves on when you refresh the page I guess it's not a major issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1373)
79.55%
Leave (353)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed