?
Report 4 years ago
Who cares?
stephanieuwa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know this is bad, but I still say it occasionally. I mix it between 'That's so Gay,' and 'That's so Raven."

I know it's wrong but in my mind it's like South Park, I've created a new definition of the word in the context I use it in, I'm not homophobic. I know it's politically incorrect and I try to avoid using it, but idk, sometimes I forget.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ppppar)
I agree, it's like using the word 'black' to refer to something one doesn't like... obviously there would be an outrage from the black community, and it's perfectly understandable why people would be offended like this. I think some people just don't think of it like this, when it slips into my speech it's usually just an unconscious association of ideas if you will (i.e i used to say that guy looked gay so its the thing that comes to my head now).
You mean like the way people say "he's so white", to mean straight-laced and geeky?
ppppar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
You mean like the way people say "he's so white", to mean straight-laced and geeky?
Never heard of this before :/
TheBluePianist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hear it so many times at school, especially in media. The guy who used to sit next to me always said 'that's so gay' every time he couldn't do something on Photoshop...that was literally every 5 minutes and I had to sit next to him for about 6 months -_-. I even kept telling him to stop saying that but he said it was "by accident" -_-
FelixTheKat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carlisomes)
never understood the balling to be honest...

words are used in different contexts.... doesn't mean any teen who says it hates gays and wants them dead...

**** PC bull**** lol..
How would you feel if the first time you heard your sexuality's name (a large part of your identity) was as an insult
WolfMann
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thesabbath, no left turn - Young Conservative and total w***er.
Barny army
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
prefer alternatives e.g. bent
BoBosus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stephanieuwa)
I know this is bad, but I still say it occasionally. I mix it between 'That's so Gay,' and 'That's so Raven."
Why are you not in America?
I know it's wrong but in my mind it's like South Park, I've created a new definition of the word in the context I use it in, I'm not homophobic. I know it's politically incorrect and I try to avoid using it, but idk, sometimes I forget.
Never heard a female use this word,it seems like aggressive men use it , but then again it seems like I'm in a more sophisticated environment..
Reeeeyah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hear it now and again, not that much anymore.

I wouldn't say it myself either.
stephanieuwa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BoBosus)
Why are you not in America?
lool, I wonder the same thing tbh. But I'm Tooting born and Essex bred

Never heard a female use this word,it seems like aggressive men use it , but then again it seems like I'm in a more sophisticated environment..
So you're calling me a guy? :K:

And an unsophisticated one at that?:unimpressed:

hmm. hmm. Yas. I am offended. I am very offended.
BoBosus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stephanieuwa)
lool, I wonder the same thing tbh. But I'm Tooting born and Essex bred
Weird

So you're calling me a guy? :K:

And an unsophisticated one at that?:unimpressed:

hmm. hmm. Yas. I am offended. I am very offended.
If you are not a guy then you are not a guy. That depends on your background and behaviour, using words incorrectly and indeed offensively does not make you sophisticated if that is what you are hoping for.
RandZul'Zorander
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
Do you think the use the word gay to mean bad/rubbish/undesirable has declined?

It has been ages since I last heard it (and not being a schoolboy anymore, I didn't hear it that much anyway). It seems as though people aren't really saying it anymore, probably because linguistically we have moved on (just like all word usage has a sell-by date, it's a bit dated) but also because of the social changes that have also occurred during this time.

What are your views?
I read some research a while back that said that teens do still use it, but they don't have the explicit homophobic views that are generally associated by many activists. So like, they support LGBT friends but they still use the word to mean bad.

To me that just seems odd. I can understand that words can have multiple meanings but we know from plenty of research that it can and is hurtful to young lgbt psyches and so if you have lgbt friends or just know lgbt people and don't want to negatively affect them why wouldn't you use different language? Its not like there aren't better words out there.
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This thread is so gay.
VladThe1mpaler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
So-called "gays" stole the word in the first place to employ as a political euphemism to try and make their activity sound less repugnant, they can't therefore complain if its meaning shifts to cover that which is generally undesirable just as "bent", "queer" et al refer to that which ain't quite right. You might say "well those meanings changed too", but they retained the negative connotation: the reason "gay" is so contentious is because it was a positive word before the homosexual lobby took it, but the next stage (it becoming a negative due to its association) should have been obvious.
I never really thought about this before but you're right, the word changed meaning from "happy" to "homosexual" so really how can anyone complain if it changes meaning again?

Except now it is being used to describe something negative and therefore means the people using it find homosexuality to be negative. Which is a very ignorant and offensive view to have.

As for the OP, I don't hear it very often anymore. There was this one guy I met during a temp job I had a while back and he said it all the time. I still see him around college occasionally and it really gets on my nerves when he says it (mostly because it is a very juvenile phrase to use).
stephanieuwa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Weird
It's weird that I moved from one part of England to another part of England?
Okay. :confused:

If you are not a guy then you are not a guy. That depends on your background and behaviour, using words incorrectly and indeed offensively does not make you sophisticated if that is what you are hoping for.
It really doesn't sound like you believe that I am not a guy.

No I'm not hoping for anything. I already stated in my post, that I know it's politically incorrect and I avoid using it, but it does slip out. It does. I agree that my setting is probably the reason for it. But to base my sophistication on that alone, is kinda dumb. Especially since I have stated that the word has a different meaning to me.
ppppar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FelixTheKat)
How would you feel if the first time you heard your sexuality's name (a large part of your identity) was as an insult
People need to stop identifying as things, you're not black or white, gay or straight, male or female, conservative or progressive, english or italian, you are humans.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ye I say it. Also fag
RandZul'Zorander
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
So-called "gays" stole the word in the first place to employ as a political euphemism to try and make their activity sound less repugnant, they can't therefore complain if its meaning shifts to cover that which is generally undesirable just as "bent", "queer" et al refer to that which ain't quite right. You might say "well those meanings changed too", but they retained the negative connotation: the reason "gay" is so contentious is because it was a positive word before the homosexual lobby took it, but the next stage (it becoming a negative due to its association) should have been obvious.
Its not really accurate to say that homosexuals 'stole' the word. From what I remember it was a term assigned to them not necessarily one that was 'chosen'.
StrangeBanana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep, still pretty prevalent among teens
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise