Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The area around Queen Mary isn't ideal but it's better than, e.g. Peckham. Hackney isn't great either.

ReputationRep:
    Catford seemed rough when I went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    Are you female? Are you non-muslim? Are you gay? Are you white?

All of these things must be taken into consideration when considering moving to a **** hole like Whitechapel/Aldgate.
    You forgot do you carry alcohol in the street lol!

ReputationRep:
    I can give you a bit of a breakdown on Whitechapel

In the relatively distant past, it was an economically poor, working / peasant class English and Jewish ghetto; it later became associated with gangland crime and then in more recent years the area was the scene of Bengali gang feuds and poverty.

Now, it is gradually becoming regenerated and the Bengali population, whilst still in the area, is not so beset with gang fighting, although there is a large drugs trade in the area, being as it is a central part of East London.

Most of the violence which happens is concerned with this drugs trade and is most evident among the semi-homeless poor who are involved in the lower levels of the trade either as addicts or small time dealers. There are several drug treatment centres and hostels in and around the Whitechapel Road. The other points people mention - of there supposedly being an intimidating atmosphere based on sexuality or religion - are really far less prevalent and it is unlikely the vast majority of people would notice anything other than men and women near the mosques in the area wearing religious attire. So, if this doesn't bother you and you aren't scared witless by a few vulnerable people in the midst of addiction, you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Is the area beautiful - it depends - I would say parts are certainly quaint, and the architecture of the old Royal London is fine. Around Whitechapel Station is a bit run down, further westwards close to the Mosque a bit less so, and then the area around Whitchapel High Street and the art gallery (sometimes erroneously called 'Aldgate', mainly due to estate agents as Aldgate East tube is there) is now very gentrified and sadly becoming covered with shiny glass city blocks.

ReputationRep:
    I want to live in London but no if it is safe to live in
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Katielane)
    I want to live in London but no if it is safe to live in
    You've just bumped a 4-year-old thread...

As with any city, as long as you stay alert and don't do anything stupid then you'll most likely be safe.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.