Turn on thread page Beta

Is racism a problem when going to uni. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownbearxo)
    I don't think you should let this bother you! You seem to be very sensible in acknowledging that racism happens everywhere. In my experience for every racist person there are hundreds that think it is abhorrent. Uni should have structures in place to deal with the racism as well if you can prove it I think.
    Thank you hopefully i won't encounter any major cases of it

ReputationRep:
    I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree I'm going to Cardiff and I've worried about it too, so I'm really happy someone else feels the same (I'm from London as well) . When I went on the department open day everyone seemed really nice (public and students), not gonna lie at first I was pretty intimidated I was the only black girl in that huge lecture theatre of other students. And the only in our class thing, but once I got talking to some girls they seemed normal and friendly. I personally don't care if I'm the only black girl as long as others aren't treating me differently or excluding me

But, it's not helping so much people pointing out 'there's no black people there' 'I've heard it's one of the most racist areas' 'there are people there not used to hanging out with black people' y'know...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, it's just typical white people think they're better than everyone else. They are better at hiding their racism than others though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Racism can occur anywhere you go.

Uni students aren't racist, do you mean members of the public in the town at which your uni is located in?
    Some are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalz)
    I currently live in London and from what i know it is the most diverse place in England. However i've lived here my whole life and i don't really want to stay for university. I'll be applying to university in September and i've currently been looking at places such as Leicester, Manchester, Bristol and Southampton. All major cities as i don't want a drastic change but all not as multicultural as London. I know racism exists everywhere i've experienced quite a bit in London (although all from other ethnic minorities which is surprising) but as these places are less diverse i'm a bit worried there will be more than i can handle especially as i'll living with strangers in the halls. I just read a thread where another black girl described having a horrible time due to racism received from house mates and i guess it worried me. I love the idea of living in halls currently and i can be a VERY social person. I wouldn't say i was shy at all. I think i'm just worried that my house mates won't love the idea of living with me? Any advice on how i can avoid an uncomfortable situation like that or how likely this is to happen.
    Not one bit...at least at my uni anyway

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.