Recommend me a laptop that has better or same spec as Macbook Air and is less priced Watch

C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
And wow, I just went on the Apple UK site for the first time (I am Canadian) and holy @#[email protected]#% laptops are overpriced in the UK!

The MBP I got is $1,499 here (~£889), and £1249 on Apple UK. Crazy stuff.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot about VAT. It's £1040 before VAT (North American prices are always before tax). I guess that's not TOO bad.
Japan is even cheaper! MBP 13 inch retina (cheapest retina one) is £748 in Japan :P

And Japanese average wage is higher than France (here) yet French MBP are very expensive.

I assume it's got to do with the distance from the factory. Macs are made in China so it's cheaper to transport them to Japan than to UK or France. Uh I don't think Canada-China is any close lol but maybe because US is where Apple is designed and Canada is next to US...
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
Japan is even cheaper! MBP 13 inch retina (cheapest retina one) is £748 in Japan :P

And Japanese average wage is higher than France (here) yet French MBP are very expensive.

I assume it's got to do with the distance from the factory. Macs are made in China so it's cheaper to transport them to Japan than to UK or France. Uh I don't think Canada-China is any close lol but maybe because US is where Apple is designed and Canada is next to US...
It could also be (unverified, just a thought) that Apple is much less popular in those markets and/or the competition is more competitively priced; good luck selling a mac for 50%+ more than the equivalent competition unless you have a lot of fanboys, so they have to have lower prices. Supply and demand and all that crap.
C0balt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It could also be (unverified, just a thought) that Apple is much less popular in those markets and/or the competition is more competitively priced; good luck selling a mac for 50%+ more than the equivalent competition unless you have a lot of fanboys, so they have to have lower prices. Supply and demand and all that crap.
oh yeah Japan has a lot of good computers like Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic blah blah blah so maybe that's it.
I assume US does as well
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)

Ah! I was looking at the middle one. So it's £858. Still cheap, but closer to US price, and higher than Canadian price.

And then there's Brazil. £2057. I heard it's mostly tax due to all the corruption.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah! I was looking at the middle one. So it's £858. Still cheap, but closer to US price, and higher than Canadian price.

And then there's Brazil. £2057. I heard it's mostly tax due to all the corruption.
PS4 in Brazil is $2k, they have ridiculous import taxes though.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PS4 in Brazil is $2k, they have ridiculous import taxes though.
Yeah the government are trying to encourage domestic manufacturing to stimulate growth, so they ramped up the import taxes on everything - but electronics especially - to some of the highest rates in the world.
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you change to windows, not only will you sacrificing OS, you'll be going onto windows 8 (...the horror)

Try and stick with apple, once they bring out the 2014 MBA, the 2013 prices will go down, so you''l be able to get one then.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is it that people have against windows 8/8.1? I swear people don't realise that you can use it in almost exactly the same way as 7. Metro may be there, but you don't have to use it. Do you complain that a bus service runs simply because you don't use it?
C0balt
Rep:
?
(Original post by aoxa)
If you change to windows, not only will you sacrificing OS, you'll be going onto windows 8 (...the horror)

Try and stick with apple, once they bring out the 2014 MBA, the 2013 prices will go down, so you''l be able to get one then.
I believe it's already 2014 version and it's just cheaper and faster. Just minor update from 2014. They may bring out major change later in 2014 though
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is it that people have against windows 8/8.1? I swear people don't realise that you can use it in almost exactly the same way as 7. Metro may be there, but you don't have to use it. Do you complain that a bus service runs simply because you don't use it?
It breaks compatibility with some programs, and doesn't offer anything new that's useful. And for me compatibility is the only reason I would use Windows, since if I actually wanted a good OS, I would use Linux or OS X (I have used both Windows and Linux extensively for many years, and OS X for 1 year).
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It breaks compatibility with some programs, and doesn't offer anything new that's useful. And for me compatibility is the only reason I would use Windows, since if I actually wanted a good OS, I would use Linux or OS X (I have used both Windows and Linux extensively for many years, and OS X for 1 year).
Programs such as?
And tell people who have touch screens that it doesn't add anything useful, those with hybrid devices for example.
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Programs such as?
And tell people who have touch screens that it doesn't add anything useful, those with hybrid devices for example.
Solidworks 2012 (it's a very expensive CAD program that most people cannot afford to upgrade often) and MS Office 2003 (yes, my dad was actually still using that - his needs are very basic, why buy a new version?) are the 2 I personally encountered.

It's true that it's probably better for people with touch devices. I just prefer Android for my touch devices.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Solidworks 2012 (it's a very expensive CAD program that most people cannot afford to upgrade often) and MS Office 2003 (yes, my dad was actually still using that - his needs are very basic, why buy a new version?) are the 2 I personally encountered.

It's true that it's probably better for people with touch devices. I just prefer Android for my touch devices.
If his needs are basic then surely open office is sufficient? And you can hardly expect them to give support to a 10 year old piece of proprietary software when there are two more recent versions.

And as for Solidworks, I would assume the 2012 is used in the conventional sense to show the year if release, so (1) why the need to upgrade already? If the software could run on an older machine before then it still can (2) there is a more recent version that, I should think, is 8/.1 compatible. Also, from my quick Google it doesn't look as if it falls into the "very expensive" category. Not to mention that it's still possible to get Windows 7 if you really need to run it. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of unofficial patch that will make it work on 8/8.1 somewhere online.

My sister has a surface, so I know that the combined tablet/desktop OS is beneficial for hybrid devices, does Android even have desktop optimised capabilities?
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If his needs are basic then surely open office is sufficient? And you can hardly expect them to give support to a 10 year old piece of proprietary software when there are two more recent versions.

And as for Solidworks, I would assume the 2012 is used in the conventional sense to show the year if release, so (1) why the need to upgrade already? If the software could run on an older machine before then it still can (2) there is a more recent version that, I should think, is 8/.1 compatible. Also, from my quick Google it doesn't look as if it falls into the "very expensive" category. Not to mention that it's still possible to get Windows 7 if you really need to run it. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of unofficial patch that will make it work on 8/8.1 somewhere online.

My sister has a surface, so I know that the combined tablet/desktop OS is beneficial for hybrid devices, does Android even have desktop optimised capabilities?
Yes, I have switched him over to OpenOffice, but it's still a pain because he already has a lot of Word documents with tables and such that don't always render perfectly in OpenOffice. And it's something new for him to learn, and he is old.

Single seat standard license for Solidworks is $4000 (~£2400), and professional $5500. I don't know about you but that's definitely in the very expensive category for me.

As an example, I was involved in a fairly big student engineering team (that competed internationally). We had sponsored licenses of SW2012 from years ago (perpetual licenses), but they stopped doing educational sponsorship, so if we wanted SW2014, we would have to pay for it, and there aren't many poor students that can afford it, especially since SW2012 has everything we need. Now what do we do when someone joins the team with a new Windows 8 laptop?

Yes, there are unofficial hacks to get it to run. They don't work very well. Most people with Windows 8 laptops end up pirating a newer version.

Combined tablet/desktop devices are definitely personal preference, and I'm sure there are people that prefer it. Android isn't desktop-optimized. I prefer to use 2 separate devices because I like my bed time reading and Youtube-watching device to be 300g instead of 2kg.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Somebody really needs to update OpenOffice.

shotgun not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1278)
79.73%
Leave (325)
20.27%

Watched Threads