Turn on thread page Beta

Do you revise for French reading/listening exams? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dolphins321)
    And did it work?
    Also, I edited my reply and added in some stuff you could do if you wanted to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhuzhu)
    We've done a LOT of past papers for French at school so I'm just hoping nothing out of the ordinary comes up for the actual exam and just go for it without cramming and stressing out too much.
    Yeah, we did a few in school and for the listening, everyone kept saying how it was like a game of luck We have done about 2-3 of each reading and listening

ReputationRep:
    I got given a booklet of all the vocab necessary to learn for the exams, iv just gone through that today and then i did a past paper in listening and reading and got an A* in both so i guess that works well... hopefully tomorrow goes the same way. To be honest as long as you got really good marks in your speaking and writing it doesn't really matter how you do as your mark will get bought up

ReputationRep:
    Yes by learning key words and vocabulary from revision guides for reading i think past papers help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    AQA
    I'm WJEC B,

how many case studies do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    Yeah, we did a few in school and for the listening, everyone kept saying how it was like a game of luck We have done about 2-3 of each reading and listening
    True last year's papers on AQA had really low grade boundaries compared to previous ones- hope we get something like that.
    What exam board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    I'm WJEC B,

how many case studies do you have?
    I have 11 for unit 1 (on Tuesday) and 9 for Unit 2 xD So 20 in total xD

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you on for geography?
    AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosbycasey56)
    YES Have you tried recording yourself on your phone going over questions or paragraphs that you think are essential for the exam and then listening to it over and over again until it sticks, like listening to a song and learning the lyrics. You could also get someone else to ask you questions on the things written in your book.
    Check out this website as it may also help you: -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesiz... OR past papers

I hope this helps
    Good luck in your exam
    this is also good
    http://quizlet.com/19581690/work-and...n-flash-cards/

ReputationRep:
    thnx

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=dolphins321;47537392]
    (Original post by chxrley)
    I got given a booklet of all the vocab necessary to learn for the exams, iv just gone through that today and then i did a past paper in listening and reading and got an A* in both so i guess that works well... hopefully tomorrow goes the same way. To be honest as long as you got really good marks in your speaking and writing it doesn't really matter how you do as your mark will get bought up[/QUOTE

So if you had A*'s in writing and A's in speaking (60% overall), what do you think you would need to at least get in reading/listening, to get an A overall?
    Not 100% sure, but i suppose you could still get an A if you get high Cs in both listening and reading, but i think aiming to get at least a B would be best - the grade boundaries are normally really low so it should be quite easy

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chxrley;47537470]

Not 100% sure, but i suppose you could still get an A if you get high Cs in both listening and reading, but i think aiming to get at least a B would be best - the grade boundaries are normally really low so it should be quite easy
    Ok thanks, hopefully I can get an A in reading, but probably lower in listening. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    for my french exam last year I revised the night before and used the workbooks that went with my course to go over vocab, also i studied edexcel and on the website there was a list of "essential vocab" which was useful as it's written by examiners hence those words come up. I was horrified when I came out as it was mega hard but the grade boundaries change regardless so I still came out with an a* so don't worry too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Listen to a french podcast to send you off to sleep. Radio Lingua are amazing. I used to listen to their podcasts before sleeping because I find it hard to go to sleep at night and thought, well french sounds nice so why not. And it was really good! I listened to the ones near the end of the course and tried to keep up, and it's great because after the conversation happens, they slow it down and translate each little bit so you understand everything. By the time the listening happened, I found it really easy because it was so slow compared to the podcasts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhuzhu)
    True last year's papers on AQA had really low grade boundaries compared to previous ones- hope we get something like that.
    What exam board are you on?
    AQA- I cant remember the boundaries but I lost a couple of marks in reading and a few in listening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by émiliemilia)
    for my french exam last year I revised the night before and used the workbooks that went with my course to go over vocab, also i studied edexcel and on the website there was a list of "essential vocab" which was useful as it's written by examiners hence those words come up. I was horrified when I came out as it was mega hard but the grade boundaries change regardless so I still came out with an a* so don't worry too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what did you already have for your speaking and writing grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Otter_)
    My teacher encouraged us to look over high frequency language that is bound to come up in the exams Best of luck to anyone sitting the french exam tomorrow
    Do you have a list of these vocabs? would really help

ReputationRep:
    It helps to go over past papers to get a feel for the questions. Also, you can "revise" by watching films, listening to French videos on YouTube and reading simple news articles on, e.g. Le Monde.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radical Lemon)
    This might not be your exam board, but this is what I use and I've got my exam tomorrow! Bonne chance!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82150-v...eas-1-to-5.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radical Lemon)
    If you have a edexcel revision guide they appear in the last few pages of the books. If not then i would advise going over verbs and adjectives. Also connectives and time expression appear frequently in the passages. I hope this has helped a little bit

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.