Turn on thread page Beta

What's your take on humility? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think there are plenty of humble people who have achieved: Benjamin Franklin, Socrates, Bertrand Russell, Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, etc. Humility is often a trait of the wise. I think humility is not the issue, rather it is meekness.
    There seems to be a misunderstanding generally about what 'humility' is. I don't think it's going around with timidity. It's more like an attitude of mind, where you don't act in an arrogant way with people and you are open to each new person and situation, treating them as if you don't know anything - almost like a Buddhist kind of approach.

I don't know everything about all of the people you listed (note my effort to be humble, she said rather obviously ) but I think Einstein and Russell definitely score well on humbleness in that way of meaning that they were open to people and didn't presume they were right all the time. Part of Albert Einstein's genius seems to have been an almost childlike unwillingness to assume he knew anything.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There seems to be a misunderstanding generally about what 'humility' is. I don't think it's going around with timidity. It's more like an attitude of mind, where you don't act in an arrogant way with people and you are open to each new person and situation, treating them as if you don't know anything - almost like a Buddhist kind of approach.

I don't know everything about all of the people you listed (note my effort to be humble, she said rather obviously ) but I think Einstein and Russell definitely score well on humbleness in that way of meaning that they were open to people and didn't presume they were right all the time. Part of Albert Einstein's genius seems to have been an almost childlike unwillingness to assume he knew anything.
    Yes, you're right. None of the people I listed were timid - they were go-getters or challengers of authority. Humility is in my mind a virtue, whereas I think timidity isn't particularly.

ReputationRep:
    im humble and im destined for greatness.
    Come at me bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    im humble and im destined for greatness.
    Come at me bro
    Well then I sure am glad you can use grammar properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalal Uddin)
    Well then I sure am glad you can use grammar properly
    lol of course. Grade a student out here

ReputationRep:
    Of course they get as far. The people who get their head down and work hard rather than spend all their time chatting **** are the ones who do best.

Nobody likes an arrogant prick which is exactly what ali was. I understand black people were discriminated against back then but I don't understand how saying things like 'my enemy is the white people' would have helped racial relations. Just look at him in the Parkinson, some people say it is brilliant but all I see is a man full of hate, treating his interviewer with no respect and not really saying anything sensible. I have huge respect for the civil rights campaigners who didn't hold the past against white people. Despite the terrible treatment they received, they somehow managed to rise above it and make constructive steps towards change. The fact they were able to achieve what they did non-violently is truly inspirational. Ali on the other hand spewed racial hatred and was totally divisive in his attitude. Yes he didn't want to fight in a war which is fair enough but his reasons were not a rejection of violence, he said 'we are not supposed to take part in no wars unless declared by Allah or The Messenger' but violence in the name of Allah has proved to be no better than any other. Even if we let him off hating whites because of the lack of equal rights, he treated black opponents equally disrespectfully.

He gets far to much credit for Vietnam. The fact is, for exactly the same reasons he would have refused to take part in ww2. That is not a criticism, I haven't fought in a war either but why don't anti-war campaigners ever mention the "heroes" who went before him and refused to fight against Nazism? Neither the war in Europe or Vietnam directly involved America and communism killed just as many of its people as Hitler. Its easy to say the Vietnam war was an impossible task but that is only because people have the benefit of hindsight, nobody had any idea before. The reality is that men fighting in both wars were fighting to prevent the spread of evil in the world and that requires much more courage than sitting in jail. It is only because America happened to get their arses kicked that people started taking him seriously. He got lucky though, of course he didn't know the chances of defeat better than the president. If the American's had won in Vietnam and the Soviet Union had collapsed soon after and the extent to Stalin's crimes been revealed, Ali would be regarded as a coward in America.

All the attention went to his head and he became even more arrogant. He clearly thought of himself as some wise man and the more people listened to him, the more *******s he came out with.

He is way over rated as a boxer. Obviously he has world champ but his record doesn't stand out as better than any other. He lost plenty of times and was actually a pretty boring fighter to watch.

Obviously his arrogance is what gained him his iconic status and what he is remembered for. While boxers try to copy him even today, nobody likes arrogance. There is a demand for it in boxing because there is money in being the villain who everybody wants to see get knocked out to shut them up. Anywhere else though it doesn't help. Would you really want to work with Ali? Would you hire him if he acted as he did in a job interview? Give me a man like Joe Frazier over Ali any day. The man was a fantastic fighter. He worked hard on his technique and let his boxing do the talking in the ring, even defeating Ali. He always handled himself with class and treated everyone, no matter who they were, with respect. He served bravely for his country and lived by his Christian beliefs. When he retired, he turned his attention to coaching and passing on his skills to youngsters. But keeping poor kids off the streets was more important to him than training a world champion so he had time for all the kids that came to him, no matter how good they were. Joe was a boxing legend and a great man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)

He is way over rated as a boxer. Obviously he has world champ but his record doesn't stand out as better than any other. He lost plenty of times and was actually a pretty boring fighter to watch.
    http://imgur.com/LRZwzN5

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.