Tweeter gets a visit from the police after UKIP complain to them. Watch

DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Burridge)
They support flatter tax rates, privatisation, greater levels of individual liberty, smaller state spending, amongst others. What makes you say that they're not libertarian (granted, they're not die-hard libertarians)?
Well, I am not sure how they promote greater levels of individual liberty.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
This is very funny.

UKIP used to have its manifesto available to read. It contained some pretty silly policies and when Farage was questioned on them, he pretended not to know anything about the document. That was odd because he endorsed it and wrote a foreword for it. All of a sudden, the manifesto was ripped up and deleted from the party website. Now UKIP seem to become very upset when their dodgy past policies, voting records, and views of their members are highlighted. This is perhaps because it shows them up for who they are and damages their efforts at presenting themselves as the party for the normal man, standing up against the elite.

I do wonder what would happen should this silly party ever get some power. I fully expect that they would ban any critism of them - little surprise that Farage is such a fan of Putin really.

I've asked this before and I'll ask again - why would anyone in their right mind vote for these people?
Yes, their basic position right now is that they have no policies. They are standing on a platform of not liking the EU and being opposed to foreigners. Apparently that alone is enough to get them 15% in the polls. :sad:

Farage is probably calling the police in Brighton to go round and arrest Captain Jack for this thread.
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Well, I am not sure how they promote greater levels of individual liberty.
That I agree with, to be honest. They say they promote great levels of individual liberty, but take their position on gay marriage for example - they seem to have such a neo-conservative social agenda.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd don't believe that renders them non-libertarian. I think they're moderately libertarian - certainly more so that all of the other main parties; but they're definitely not bonafide libertarians.
Well it seems to be their raison d'etre for a lot of their voters.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Peter Reeve, the UKIP councillor who called in the cops.

http://applications.huntsdc.gov.uk/m....aspx?UID=2414
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jacob-C)
So the rest is true?
No, the rest of your post is opinion.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Why on earth are the police involving themselves in things like this?

Breirtbart? :lol:

They are not a reliable source, for anything.

Oh I see because it doesn't in with your personal bias it must be unreliable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-27378302

"Cambridgeshire Police confirmed the visit, but denied Mr Abberton was told to delete the tweet"

This does not necessarily mean the blogger is lying. It does means either the blogger or the police are lying.
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That I agree with, to be honest. They say they promote great levels of individual liberty, but take their position on gay marriage for example - they seem to have such a neo-conservative social agenda.

They opposed gay marriage because of the chance that the ECHR could force churches to conduct them. I do understand there are the typical social conservatives in UKIP that are against it for religious reasons.

Of course the libertarian position on gay marriage is to completely privatise marriage, separate it from the state. Each individual community or church can make its own policy.
Jacob-C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
No, the rest of your post is opinion.
I was referring to the "10 good reasons to vote for UKIP" image. You cannot deny that they are not the truth as they formed the UKIP manifesto for 2010 (which has been removed).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was referring to the "10 good reasons to vote for UKIP" image. You cannot deny that they are not the truth as they formed the UKIP manifesto for 2010 (which has been removed).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many of them has been grossly misinterpreted though.

Example being flat tax.
Many say UKIP would want a 31% flat tax, this indeed has been a UKIP policy.

But critics don't mention that UKIP would combine national insurance in with income and that those on minimum wage wouldn't pay any. So the poorest would not be worse off due to this tax policy.

Not sure what their policy is now, but I think they did mention perhaps 2 tax brackets so flatter taxes rather than absolute flat taxes.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is a very serious matter constitutionally for the police to intervene improperly in electioneering.
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can deny that they were on the 2010 manifesto. If you look at the tweet which started this, you'll find that none come from the 2010 manifesto, with most coming from a UKIP councillor in Birmingham, some from people who aren't UKIP representatives at all (donating money doesn't automatically make your opinions the policy of the party you donate to), and some of the claims are just made up.

See here: https://twitter.com/MichaelAbberton/...213696/photo/1
Jacob-C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Falcatas)
Example being flat tax.
Many say UKIP would want a 31% flat tax, this indeed has been a UKIP policy.

But critics don't mention that UKIP would combine national insurance in with income and that those on minimum wage wouldn't pay any. So the poorest would not be worse off due to this tax policy..
We won't know if anything is a UKIP policy until they release their election manifesto officially. I know the flat tax is their policy but what percentage and whether it is combined, we will have to wait and see.
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
I say didn't it was the fault of UKIP. In fact I am voting for them on 22nd May. I was just correcting the OP.
You refuse to condemn UKIP for using police time to investigate a tweet that mocked the party and its policies? Are you one of those people who call 999 over anything?
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Forgive me, but are you sure you didn't mean paleo-conservative?
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reformed2010)
You refuse to condemn UKIP for using police time to investigate a tweet that mocked the party and its policies? Are you one of those people who call 999 over anything?
No.
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
No.
So no you don't refuse to condemn UKIP and no you don't waste police time. Glad we are on the same page.
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
Yeah, because the fault here is with UKIP, not with the police. If it's not a police matter, that's for the police to decide. UKIP reporting it is just them misunderstanding the libel laws, which happens. The police deciding to act is not UKIP's fault.
I'd be very concerned if anyone who wishes to take a role in our law making thinks that libel is a Police matter without first going to court and obtaining one of the available orders which would make it so (incidentally if he considers it libellous, why isn't he suing them?). I would hope he thought it might come under some kind of criminal law, the kind the Police are actually meant to deal with.

That the Police are well trained enough that they realised they had no power to make him do anything is comforting, that they nevertheless went along when they are clearly, you would think, wading into a constitutional minefield is somewhat concerning. Unless one or both of said PCs is actually a constitutional lawyer in a past life and made a well thought out decision to intervene based on an intimate knowledge of the area.
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Le Nombre)
I'd be very concerned if anyone who wishes to take a role in our law making thinks that libel is a Police matter without first going to court and obtaining one of the available orders which would make it so (incidentally if he considers it libellous, why isn't he suing them?). I would hope he thought it might come under some kind of criminal law, the kind the Police are actually meant to deal with.

That the Police are well trained enough that they realised they had no power to make him do anything is comforting, that they nevertheless went along when they are clearly, you would think, wading into a constitutional minefield is somewhat concerning. Unless one or both of said PCs is actually a constitutional lawyer in a past life and made a well thought out decision to intervene based on an intimate knowledge of the area.
I'm not sure what the nature of the original complaint was. As far as I can tell from what the guy said, the police didn't seem to know why they were there either, except to ask him to take it down. The fault lies with whoever sent them there in the first place rather than telling whoever from UKIP complained that it wasn't a police matter.
The Socktor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here is the "10 great reasons to vote UKIP" which was tweeted to the councillor. I see nothing wrong with it and all of the points which are included on it, have been a part of previous UKIP manifestos.

It's funny because often it is UKIP that are blathering on about how free speech is being hampered and then their own members are calling the police about incidents like this, which do not warrant police intervention at all.

Attachment 284216
Adding to that:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (73)
19.21%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (154)
40.53%
Nope, not that interesting (153)
40.26%

Watched Threads