?
Report 12 years ago
Radiohead
space_aura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what does "godspeed you black emperor" come under?
are they "progressive"---all i know it that they're pretty damn good!
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by space_aura)
what does "godspeed you black emperor" come under?
are they "progressive"---all i know it that they're pretty damn good!
Post-rock.

As for this poll, Jethro Tull are by far the best. I love them so much it's unhealthy. They have great guitars, great flute, great lyrics and I adore Ian Anderson's vocals. 'A Passion Play' is perhaps the proggiest thing ever written and is immediately what I think of when I think of the genre.

Then I'd say Yes are my second favourite on the strength of albums like 'Close to the Edge' and 'Fragile', among others. Rick Wakeman is a sensation.

Then it's probably Genesis. 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway', 'Nursery Cryme', 'Foxtrot' are ace.

Although I do like Pink Floyd, I do think they are horribly overrated. I would much rather listen to any of those three aforementioned bands than them. I'd take 'Thick As A Brick' or 'Close To The Edge' over 'Dark Side of the Moon' any day of the week.

As for modern prog-rock, Coheed and Cambria are easily my favourite. I don't understand why prog-rock is such a maligned and stigmatised genre. It's fantastic. :eek:
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PinkPigeon)
For 'new prog' it's all about Pure Reason Revolution (if you like any type of prog I seriously suggest you check them out) their debut album The Dark Third is epic, harmonies all over the place and big building sections, if that makes sense?
Just had a listen to them. Started out a bit slow but wow, when it built up it got pretty damn good. I shall be investigating more.
PinkPigeon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by TommehR)
Just had a listen to them. Started out a bit slow but wow, when it built up it got pretty damn good. I shall be investigating more.
Yeah, they're very into their light and dark...quiet sections building into big epic 'opuses' as they call them haha
Off to see them do a free acoustic set in London tonight, will hopefully take my mind off results!
Moriarty Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I saw Pure Reason Revolution a while ago, when they supported Mew. I'd never heard of them before, but man they blew me away that night. They're a really great, interesting band.
PinkPigeon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Moriarty Man)
I saw Pure Reason Revolution a while ago, when they supported Mew. I'd never heard of them before, but man they blew me away that night. They're a really great, interesting band.
I'm gutted I didn't know about them ro Mew before that tour, I love both bands and I'm sure it would have been a really great gig.
mr_danny87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I listen to... Pink floyd, pelican, , coheed and cambria, Tool, The mars volta, At the drive-in, oh and Opeth.
ArbitraryConstant
Report 12 years ago
Genesis all the way.
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mr_danny87)
I listen to... Pink floyd, pelican, , coheed and cambria, Tool, The mars volta, At the drive-in, oh and Opeth.
At The Drive-In are almost anti-prog.

Good band, but they are about as far away from prog as possible.
TommehR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Where's the love for Tull?
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've got Thick As A Brick, I've always meant to check out more stuff by them.

And I need to buy The Yes Album and Nursery Cryme at some point.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.34%
No - I got the required grades (132)
56.41%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.25%

Watched Threads