Urgent housing situation. watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    try www.gumtree.co.uk
    Brilliant advice.

I used that palce (I think after advice from someone on here) and found another randm person looking for someone to share a house.

We met up and we got a place together.

We're moving in at the end of the month

ReputationRep:
    If it's for uni I'd also suggest contacting the student's union or the universities advice centre for help in clearing the problem up. Clearly the hassle and cost involved with legal action would be best avoided and the University could provide some sort of mediation service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharan)
    u need to speak to the landlord. contact him asap, ignore the girls, theyre trying to scam you and its illegal, u can sue their asses. just ring your landlord
    You can't sue your housemates because they say you don't fit in. As the OP said, they can't stop him living there as he has a contract. Similarly, he doesn't have to pay them any money unless they provide paperwork to prove that he is in debt to them. So the situation, as unfortunate as it is, is an emotional one, and not one which you can sue anybody for. The best the OP can hope for is ever making up whatever problems he has with these people, or convincing his landlord to release him from his contract without a penalty.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm a girl. And I don't have any problems with these people, they simply deduced from the fact that I'm not big into partying and clubbing that I must not be interested in making friends... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    You can't sue your housemates because they say you don't fit in. As the OP said, they can't stop him living there as he has a contract. Similarly, he doesn't have to pay them any money unless they provide paperwork to prove that he is in debt to them. So the situation, as unfortunate as it is, is an emotional one, and not one which you can sue anybody for. The best the OP can hope for is ever making up whatever problems he has with these people, or convincing his landlord to release him from his contract without a penalty.
    They could just not give her a key, in which case, legal action would be necessary. Otherwise just move in and tell them to **** off you live there and its tough if they dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, you all signed a contract. They have no control on whether or not you stay in the house unless they can prove that in some way you are in breach of the contract. Most landlords will release you from your contract as long as they are still getting the same amount of money. This means you will still have to pay rent unless a) you can find someone else to replace you or b) your other housemates decide to split your rent between them and pay extra room. As long as you are still paying rent, you are entitled to stay in the house. Whether or not you still want to, given the current atmosphere is up to you. However, even if you do decide to move out, stay in the house until you've found alternative housing and found out some solution to the rent situation.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Here's the kicker: they're telling ME that I owe THEM money. For a house I never lived in. They have not seen me since we have signed the contract, so it's reasonable to expect that they did not like me at that time and had no intention of letting me live with them. Everyone I have spoken to says that they should give me back all the money that I spent on the house. I have told them that I want all my money back, and that I will contact a solicitor if they do not comply. But what are my legal rights? Do I have any? What do I do?
    When did your contract start. If it started in July, then even though you weren't living there, you are contractually obliged to pay rent for the summer. As for legal rights, they cannot force you out the house. However, if you volontarily go, then you are still contractually obliged to ensure that your part of the rent is paid until an alternative solution can be found. I don't really see how you can sue them. They cannot make you leave, unless you leave on your own volition. Therefore, you won't have a case to get back any money that you have claimed. So far, while what they've done is not particularly nice, at this point, you don't have much of a legal case. They are entitled to ask you to leave, and you are entitled to refuse the request. Unless, they do something like take your keys or change the locks, you won't really have a case to sue them. Your choice is either to live with them anyways or to move out, most likely lose the money, and find an alternative for the rent situation.

I am not an expert on law and without seeing your contract, I can only make assumptions, so I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    What *****es! Sorry to hear you have this hassle and i hope you find somewhere much nicer. I would offer suggestions for revenge, but thats not what you need right now.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.