Turn on thread page Beta

B22 - Tobacco Bill 2006 Second Reading watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by law:portal)
    It's not the point of stopping them, really. I mean to buy alcohol you need to be 18, but that doesn't stop minors getting it and drinking it. What makes you think this bill is worthwhile and its goals achievable?
    The higher you set the age limits the harder it becomes for younger people to get old of the stuff.

Also, as people have said, this Bill looks in to punishing those who do the supplying. How many 18 year olds will want to be faced with a fine for buying tobacco products of any sort for someone younger than them? It's not worth the hassle is it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying this wouldn't work at all, just that I feel more emphasis should be placed on prevention rather than cure i.e. educate young people in greater detail so they don't want to smoke. Many children grow up with their parents smoking, friends smoking and add pier pressure to that this Bill, in my opinion, would not scratch the surface.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think this is already happening (and not working) in schools?
    There is no easy way to bring teenagers to this view.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'm not saying this wouldn't work at all, just that I feel more emphasis should be placed on prevention rather than cure i.e. educate young people in greater detail so they don't want to smoke. Many children grow up with their parents smoking, friends smoking and add pier pressure to that this Bill, in my opinion, would not scratch the surface.
    That may be true, but I feel many people them start smoking becuase (1) they see people in their freinds and family smoking and then (2) becuase they can easily get hold of cigarettes while at an age where they still feel peer presure to be smoking.

The Bill will at the very least make it harder for such people to get hodl of tobacco products at an age when they are more suseptable to peer presure to do things.
    But at the very least, this Bill will not mak anybsituatrion worse than it already is. You seem to want to 'cure' young people from taking uo smkkoing,. I feel this Bill will significnatly go towards helping this. Please do not vote against it on the fact you don't think it goes far enough or comes compeltely from the wrong direction. What would be better is for you to vote for this then submit your own Bill taclkling the problem from a dirfferent perspective (I fell like I'm trying to defend one of my own parties bills here).

ReputationRep:
    Well i know many places that sell alcohol have a policy of asking for ID if you don't look older than 21. Maybe something like this can be made law through this bill. I know it can be hard to judge the age of certain people but if there can be some way of asking young people for ID this would be even more successful.

ReputationRep:
    Shops will be forced into making every effort to ask for ID. Because there are fines or even suspensions from trading afoot should they be too lenient.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Well i know many places that sell alcohol have a policy of asking for ID if you don't look older than 21. Maybe something like this can be made law through this bill. I know it can be hard to judge the age of certain people but if there can be some way of asking young people for ID this would be even more successful.
    I don't think it's a law wich makes them do that, but rather the shop/shop keeper/business which is taking extra precautions above a la to ensure they can prive they have done what is asked in what is written in the fourth bullet point of this Bill.

I would expect a shop would automatically bring in similar requirmwents here shoudl this Bill be passed.

ReputationRep:
    If the age was kept as it currently is, how could you ask for proof of ID at age 16? there is no way you could...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    If the age was kept as it currently is, how could you ask for proof of ID at age 16? there is no way you could...
    I f ID cards were introduced then one could...assuming they were introduced for people as young as 16, if not younger.

ReputationRep:
    Pass :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    I f ID cards were introduced then one could...assuming they were introduced for people as young as 16, if not younger.
    no thanks!

ReputationRep:
    This bill is intended to make shops more alert about suspicious people buying tobacco - either minors or the suppliers of minors. And they will be more compelled now to ask for ID more scrupulously than in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i know it is not law to ask for ID
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    no thanks!
    Your loss then

But there are doezens of other simialr situtations where ID cards would solve a problem.

I'll point them out to you in future if you identify a situation which currently poses a problem

ReputationRep:
    Your loss then

But there are doezens of other simialr situtations where ID cards would solve a problem.

I'll point them out to you in future if you identify a situation which currently poses a problem
    pfft...I dont oppose the idea per se., but the mechanism of introduction is ridiculous - if it had been combined with, say, driving license photocards it would have been a lot better, but it just seems to be a way to make more money.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    pfft...I dont oppose the idea per se., but the mechanism of introduction is ridiculous - if it had been combined with, say, driving license photocards it would have been a lot better, but it just seems to be a way to make more money.
    As far as I was aware it is going to be...either ID card, ID-driving license, ID-passport or a triple...or am I mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I was aware it is going to be...either ID card, ID-driving license, ID-passport or a triple...or am I mistaken?
    but I have already paid 50 quid for a provisional, then 50 quid for a license, now these are going to be made redundant and I'll have to pay between 85 and 300 quid for a ID card - its a farce!

I personally would like to see an ID card with driving license, i.e., one that is able for daily usage, but not as a passport, as that holds more prestige and responsibility outside of the nation, and considering the ease to lose the card.etc.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    but I have already paid 50 quid for a provisional, then 50 quid for a license, now these are going to be made redundant and I'll have to pay between 85 and 300 quid for a ID card - its a farce!

I personally would like to see an ID card with driving license, i.e., one that is able for daily usage, but not as a passport, as that holds more prestige and responsibility outside of the nation, and considering the ease to lose the card.etc.
    And by the time the ID cards become compuslary your pass port will most lielyl need to be updated and so you can pay for the ID-passport rather than the passport on it;s own.

And the current estimates aren't anywhwre near £300. The last figures I saw put it around £40-£100, when a current passport probably costs about £60

ReputationRep:
    how would you feel about a £100 fine rising to £250/£500.etc., on failure to pay.
    that sounds like a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, how would the Government seek to enforce this? I'm quite sure there are not enough Policemen or Trading Standards Officers to stand outside all newsagents.

Secondly, whilst smoking may or may not cause as much harm to a person as drinking, it is not responsible for town centre brawls or multiple vehicle accidents so can you really put it on an equivalency with alcohol?

Thirdly, the legal age of consent is 16. The legal age to drive a motor vehicle is 17. So, by this token the Government is saying it requires more maturity to decide to smoke than it does to be responsible for a young life or for one of the country's biggest causes of death and injury.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.