Do we go to uni to make an impression on others? Watch

allymcb2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shady lane)
They don't want to seem pretentious?

When I tell people I went to Stanford they tend not to believe me anyway, so I just say I went to university in Northern California...if they press I'll tell eventually.
Thats totally ridiculous. Even if you actually care about sounding pretentious (which is silly anyway). How can telling someone the actual university you are going to/ have an offer for be pretentious? Its just a fact, which, incidentally, they asked for.

Its not like you got up on your roof with a megaphone and shouted 'I'm going to STAANFOORRD LOOOSERS'. (I might have considered the equivalent for Ox if our roof wasn't pitched )
fatboy06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by allymcb2)
what does that show apart from idiocy?
It shows that those people don't want to make an impression on others with their uni :s
puppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fatboy06)
It shows that those people don't want to make an impression on others with their uni :s
I think that's more other people's problem than your own. It's not my fault Cambridge let me in and it's not like I've anything else to boast about, I'm hardly a typical Cambridge student so my view is that if I got in anyone could and if they have a problem with me going there then there's not a lot I can do.

Prestigious unis are usually that because of their academic record so people go there because the uni makes an impression on them, not so they can impress other people.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
It's not my fault Cambridge let me in
Haha so they just called you up and said "you've been accepted!"
fatboy06
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
I think that's more other people's problem than your own. It's not my fault Cambridge let me in and it's not like I've anything else to boast about, I'm hardly a typical Cambridge student so my view is that if I got in anyone could and if they have a problem with me going there then there's not a lot I can do.

Prestigious unis are usually that because of their academic record so people go there because the uni makes an impression on them, not so they can impress other people.
Nah, I'm not one of them...people will say "what you doing next year", and I'll say "music at uni" and they'll say "which" and I'll say "Oxford or Nottingham". Not embarassed, just don't shout it from the rooftops.
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Haha so they just called you up and said "you've been accepted!"
Do you have a problem with me?

I said 'let me in' not 'its not my fault I go to Cambridge' obviously I chose to apply there but it's not my fauly they let me in. I don't see what point you're trying to make, are you just trying to wind me up and upset me?
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fatboy06)
Nah, I'm not one of them...people will say "what you doing next year", and I'll say "music at uni" and they'll say "which" and I'll say "Oxford or Nottingham". Not embarassed, just don't shout it from the rooftops.
Well obviously no one shouts about it, that'd be weird whichever uni you went to. I'm just a horrible liar, I've considered not telling people before but I just can't lie to people and also it seems faintly ridiculous. If they found out you'd lied then they'd only assume you were even more stuck up and had done it to spare their feelings are something so it's not worth it. I'm sure a lot of people don't believe me or take me seriously but whatever, it's my life not theirs.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
Do you have a problem with me?

I said 'let me in' not 'its not my fault I go to Cambridge' obviously I chose to apply there but it's not my fauly they let me in. I don't see what point you're trying to make, are you just trying to wind me up and upset me?
That was a joke. And a pretty benign one, at that. Wow sorry.

I just think it's weird to make it seem as though you had absolutely nothing to do with your getting into Cambridge. I'm sure you prepared for the interview, studied for your A Levels, etc. I would never say it's not my fault that my unis let me in; I worked hard to get in dammit! But since some people react to me and think I'm some intellectual snob as a result, I don't mention it upon first meeting unless I'm in similar company or directly asked.
sheryl06
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm going to uni because I want to study my subject not because I want to make an impression on others. Although I suppose partly in a way its to try to impress future employers if you want to look at it like that but generally I would say no, not at all.
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That was a joke. And a pretty benign one, at that. Wow sorry.

I just think it's weird to make it seem as though you had absolutely nothing to do with your getting into Cambridge. I'm sure you prepared for the interview, studied for your A Levels, etc. I would never say it's not my fault that my unis let me in; I worked hard to get in dammit! But since some people react to me and think I'm some intellectual snob as a result, I don't mention it upon first meeting unless I'm in similar company or directly asked.
Well yeah, I studied for my A-levels because I liked my subjects, they weren't especially taxing anyway, everyone knows they're a joke these days. I certainly didn't prepare for my interview, I wouldn't have known where to start. I didn't realise Cambridge was a big deal until I read TSR and realised the lengths people went to to prepare themselves.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what does that show apart from idiocy?
Modesty?
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BovineBeast)
Modesty?
Saying where you are actually going to uni when someone asks you is hardly immodest. Like I said, its just a fact, which they have asked for.
Jazzza
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
going to Oxford is often about networking because you can end up working with people later, and/or staying friends for life - but that's kind of true for anywhere. In the past when not many people went to Uni that was important. Sometimes though it's your parents who swan about telling people (seriously embarassing) that their son/daughter is at Oxford. In some circles like top independent schools it's what's expected rather than going to a little known new uni.
Piers-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it is very pretentious for someone to actually lie about which uni they go to: essentially, it shows they think it overshadows the uni of whoever they're talking to. I would prefer a bragger over someone being quietly smug. But, realistically, very few are either.

However, of course, it all depends on the motive. I will be going to the "School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London", but inevitably, if asked in day-to-day life, I'll simply say I'm going to the University of London. It's too much fuss to explain it all.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Saying where you are actually going to uni when someone asks you is hardly immodest. Like I said, its just a fact, which they have asked for.
I didn't say it was immodest. Simply that being reluctant to say it is due to (perhaps overeager) modesty.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't say it was immodest. Simply that being reluctant to say it is due to (perhaps overeager) modesty.
That doesn't make any sense. I would find it arrogant that they presumed I wasn't going too.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Piers-)
However, of course, it all depends on the motive. I will be going to the "School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London", but inevitably, if asked in day-to-day life, I'll simply say I'm going to the University of London. It's too much fuss to explain it all.
Yeah, I do the same. Well, generally I just say "London". It's simpler, less of a mouthful.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That doesn't make any sense. I would find it arrogant that they presumed I wasn't going too.
Who said they did? Being embarassed at having to announce their own success isn't the same as assuming that you're unsuccessful.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who said they did? Being embarassed at having to announce their own success isn't the same as assuming that you're unsuccessful.
If they thought you were going too, they wouldn't be embarrassed.
BovineBeast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If they thought you were going too, they wouldn't be embarrassed.
That's a huge assumption. Some people *are*, either because they feel they don't deserve to have got in, and thus don't want to air it, or they're afraid you'll think they're just blowing their own horn. It's best to be tolerant of people's worries like that, even if they are irrational.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.84%
No (661)
60.75%
Not really bothered about them (222)
20.4%

Watched Threads