land economy Watch

Nonsmoking
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh dear... speaking to any of the other land economists/applicants on here, what sports do you play?
username61396
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nonsmoking)
Oh dear... speaking to any of the other land economists/applicants on here, what sports do you play?
I have to apologise to the land economy applicants/students if I offended anyone. It wasn't my intent.

And in reference to my last post, I got a bit carried away.
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yup, no worries mate. Thanks for the apology. It does get the teensiest bit annoying to get one's subject knocked repeatedly!

And you can tell your 3rd yr friend who's there already that they should know better
CamSPSer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yup, no worries mate. Thanks for the apology. It does get the teensiest bit annoying to get one's subject knocked repeatedly!

And you can tell your 3rd yr friend who's there already that they should know better
Mate get used to it and get over it, you are going to be hearing it for three years. Every subject gets knocked, you just happen to be doing one of the smaller subjects that gets a fair bit (along with ASNAC, SPS, HoA etc). If this is annoying you now god knows what you are going to be like in 3 years.
username61396
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Thanks. He's a physics student and admits that he doesn't go to half his lectures...

Cambridge degrees have a deserved reputation no matter what subject they are. I'm sure the "knocking" is only a bit of fun and is not malicious.
brunswick
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by swntzu)
Thanks. He's a physics student and admits that he doesn't go to half his lectures...

Cambridge degrees have a deserved reputation no matter what subject they are. I'm sure the "knocking" is only a bit of fun and is not malicious.
Well I've experienced the 'malicious' knocking first-hand, so I hope you can understand why I get more than a little riled when someone knocks my subject for no good reason.

In response to the other poster; football, tennis (both badly), dressage, SJing, eventing. Used to row, and would teamchase if the season didn't clash so horrendously with term dates.
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by CamSPSer)
Mate get used to it and get over it, you are going to be hearing it for three years. If this is annoying you now god knows what you are going to be like in 3 years.
Heh, I'll prob be a homicidal maniac...

I play badminton and used to play rugby, but would love to get back into that at a college level mebbe (I was a bit small for two or three years but filled out again). Would also like to have a stab at boxing, especially with it being the 100th aniversary of the Truelove Bowl! (Must be a wicked atmosphere!)
Jarvis
Report 12 years ago
Football and cricket for me, probably just at college level if I get my grades tomorrow. Not one for big commitment. I definitely won't be fulfilling the rugby stereotype, haven't played it in years. Where does that one come from?
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The rugby stereotype? LE was apparently the subject they let good rugby players with bad grades in on, just so as they could play for Cambridge. The same was meant to apply to rowers :s
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good luck btw!
Jarvis
Report 12 years ago
The rugby stereotype? LE was apparently the subject they let good rugby players with bad grades in on, just so as they could play for Cambridge. The same was meant to apply to rowers :s

Good luck btw!
Interesting stereotype. Cheers, fingers crossed.
username61396
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brunswick)
Well I've experienced the 'malicious' knocking first-hand, so I hope you can understand why I get more than a little riled when someone knocks my subject for no good reason.
Well if you read my post carefully, you will see that I never actually knocked it myself. I mere stated that other people were knocking it. Also, even if you do get riled, it is no reason to take out your anger on a person who is already on edge, attcking them where you know it will hurt. I would have thought that you would have had more tact than that, seeing as you know how it feels. Don't become what you despise.
jonas123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yawn
username61396
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jonas123)
yawn
Thanks
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do we have success on the results front?
username61396
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do we have success on the results front?
For land economists or just in general?
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I meant LE'ers, but I'll be pleased to hear from anyone really!
username61396
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I meant LE'ers, but I'll be pleased to hear from anyone really!
Nothing for me. I'm going to phone up St Catharine's just now.

Aren't there something like 3 LE places for the whole uni per year? Seems like a very exclusive club.
Nonsmoking
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, it's about 30-40 in the uni per year. So one or two per college. Good luck!
French Pikachu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok let's clear things up a bit... as holly said land economy entrance requirements vary a lot from one college to the other... i got the hardest for downing last year with 2 places given out of 19 students who applied... but then managed to miss my IB offer and got pooled to Queens where all 3 accepted students had missed their offers too... we ended up being 2 (so whoever is coming to Queens' for land economy next year feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, otherwise i'll see you in october as i'll be your subject rep...) on the other hand it's true that Homerton entrance ratio approximated 1:3... but anyway if you do the average then you realise thst land economy isnt an easier course to get unto than most... it's increasing in popularity every year due to teh great employment propects and in our year numbers were increased from 35 in 2004 to 55 in 2006... but tbh it's roughly the same for every subjects : getting in Cambridge is often a question of luck and depends on lots of unpredictable things such as how you feel on the day of your interview, how does your interviewer feels, if you get on, if you apllied to a college where that year there happened to be less applicants... i'm not saying that students who are at cam dont all deserve to be here but simply that even if you didnt get accepted you cna be just as bright and you were just unlucky... but life goes on and one day you'll be lucky and take your revenge... anyway back unto land economy... yes it is reputed for being one of Cam's dossy subject but as i experienced, when exams come there is no such thing as a dossy subject... i had the most amazing year ever : played 4 college sports, rugby (we won the plate), rowing (i got blades), football, lacrosse.... headed our freshers' girls drinking society, became a committee member of Queens' Ents, participated in several social events, went clubbing loads, basically out at least 4 nights a week.... i was able to do all this because yes LE's get set less work than other subjects and are less strict on the quality of work...but we do have 4 totally different subjects and when exams came in june i realised i didnt know anything at all... my dos and supervisors had expected me to do a whole lot of individual research and work that i hadnt done... i let myself have far too much fun and did absolutey nothing during the year because i had just listened too much to eveyrone saying i'd get a 2.1 easly, that land ec was a doss... in the end didnt do that bad coz i got the highest possible 2.2 with 59% but was highly disapointed and ashamed for having done so little work at such a good university.... all my friends who worked even just a little bit more all got 2.1s and 1sts... so ok some of my land ec friends who did nothing did manage to scrape a 2.1 with very little work but most were real lucky.... so land economy may appear like a doss but be aware Cambridge exams are difficult and that for everyone.... so i dont regret my year in the end because never had that much fun before, but now i will definitely work harder this year and i might not be able to do an intership next summer as i wanted because they require usually a 2.1 minimum... nyway good luck to everyone i know how difficult it is to wait for resut day !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)