Not Sure (4)
4.3%
exiled-student
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 1013)
What will? Having more black people on the force?

I don't agree with positive discrimination any more than I do negative. If we are supposed to view everyone equally, then everyone should be treated equally. I can see stuff like this just causing more and more racial tension and we really don't need that right now.
Havign more asian people on the force in asian populated areas, or black in black populated areas increased the chances of corruption, since they maybe lenient towards 'their own people' . There was a recent report about Asians particularly Cops of Pakistani origin being the most corrupt for this very reason.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by exiled-student)
I think the met has such a bad name and rep amongst ethnic minorities as an institution that they just dont have the confidence in it, let alone join it.
Thats probably because those who are criminals tend to hate the police, and we all know black communities have high crime rates.
gas_panic!
Badges: 12
Report 12 years ago
Havign more asian people on the force in asian populated areas, or black in black populated areas increased the chances of corruption, since they maybe lenient towards 'their own people' . There was a recent report about Asians particularly Cops of Pakistani origin being the most corrupt for this very reason.
Exactly. They will always try to look after their own.
Laika
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gas_panic!)
Exactly. They will always try to look after their own.
Well then if we have an all-white force surely minorities will be discriminated against?

I mean, that's just a genius argument.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think its a non-issue. if the ethnic minorities aren't racist (as they claim they aren't) then why should they care what the race of the police officer is?

You can't say on one hand that all races are equal and classification is meaningless and then in next breath say how the police force should be ethnically representative of the community.

Again, its hypocrisy. Except it allways works in whatever way favours the ethnic minority. Conveniently.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the met has such a bad name and rep amongst ethnic minorities as an institution that they just dont have the confidence in it, let alone join it.
Well, the Police have branded themselves as "institutionally racist" so it's hardly surprizing to learn that black people are not exactly flocking to join.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Laika)
I don't agree with quotas but the police need to stop being racist.
maybe black people need to stop committing so many crimes?
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Did it ever occur to these geniuses that black people don't feel that attracted to a career as a pig?
I was about to say the same thing, in so many words.

Being half-black myself, i've been around black people my whole life, and can attest that police aren't really liked by a lot of black people, particularly young black males, who see them as "pigs". Indeed, one black guy i know who joined the police force was quickly shunned by his friends, and even some of his family. There is a real chasm between the police and black people, due to a lack of trust because of the stories of racism, and because of the amount of petty criminals who are black. It is a fact that a disproportionate amiunt of black males commit crimes. Well, the police are the enemy of the criminal, so it follows that more black people won't like police.

Until the police are more open, and show they care about all races, and social issues are tackled so that many black people don't have to resort to crime to get out of financial holes, the problem will continue.

Personally, i would love to see more black people in the police. I know in my heart though, that is has little to do withh discrimination at the application process, and a lot to do with black people viewing the police in the same way that Howard describes: as pigs.

Getting more black people in the police would be easy. A lot of black males have the attributes needed to be policemen. They would be sympathetic to the plight of crime in poor communities, often having grown up in them. They are usually quite strong athletictypes- very good at chasing down robbers...very stereotypical, but i can get away with it, i'm half down with it.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well if this is the level of your debating skills, you need to be literally exiled as a student.

You could say the precise same thing about all-white police forces in mainly white areas. How dare you suggest that if you aren't white, you just have to be corrupt and untrustworthy with your job.

Those "lots of recent reports" were tosh, and when you say "lots" i think you mean one man saying it in the media. Dont try to distort the situation, we aren't stupid.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
maybe black people need to stop committing so many crimes?
This isn't really what it is about totally, but it is part of it. Only in a literal, statistical sense. But it isn't relevent when talking about non-criminal black people joining the force. Guess what? Not all black people are criminals, and yet most still despise the police.
shady lane
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Black people don't like the police. Period. I don't know what would make more of them want to join the force.

Many white police officers are not highly educated, and are often more likely to have prejudices or racist tendencies as a result. They should make sure that all of the officers are prepared to deal with multicultural issues. I don't care what color a police officer is if he does his job properly.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shady lane)
Black people don't like the police. Period. I don't know what would make more of them want to join the force.

Many white police officers are not highly educated, and are often more likely to have prejudices or racist tendencies as a result. They should make sure that all of the officers are prepared to deal with multicultural issues. I don't care what color a police officer is if he does his job properly.
Very true, most leave school at the earliest oppurtunity to join the force, and so are less educated than a lot of other professions, which require more intelligence.

Multiculturalism is an issue, and the fact is, police do need proper training on the issue. It can be assumed that these factors would be easier to cope with with a representative police force, as each racial group will have better ties with their respective "communities" But as you say, if white police were properly trained to deal with racial issues, at least to the standard that an ethnic minority could deal with their own racial group, then who cares what colour they are?
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
This isn't really what it is about totally, but it is part of it. Only in a literal, statistical sense. But it isn't relevent when talking about non-criminal black people joining the force. Guess what? Not all black people are criminals, and yet most still despise the police.
A lot of white people hate the pigs too.
rt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Next they'll be calling for the goverment to make this country a muslim state.
poltroon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Laika)
It probably isn't. However since they are performing a public service which directly affects the lives of citizens, the racism becomes more grave. Furthermore the police have been publicly dogged with accusations of racism moreso than other organisations..
The reason those accusations receive coverage is, as you said, because it is important that they do their service without prejudice, thus accusations of racism are treated more sternly. The conclusion to draw is not that the police force is institutionally racist but simply that charges of racism are treated more seriously. Therefore you cannot use the argument that we need to recuit more ethnic minority members because the current members of the police force are racist; even if they were, education and not positive discrimination would be the solution.

(Original post by Laika)
Agreed, but I feel that a police force, as a collective unit, will function more effectively when it encompasses a range of officers who accurately represent the community. I don't think that the quality of policing should be affected to achieve this goal by filling quotas, but I do fool that part of being a good police force is representing all sections of the community fairly..
Politicians represent the community, police officers fight crime.

(Original post by Laika)
As a white male, I do not feel the specific need for more black police officers. It doesn't really impact me greatly. However, if I was a youth from a minority, I might suspect the police due to criticims of institutional racism, and feel that I am discriminated against or not adequetely represented. The police should address concerns such as this in order to fairly represent the whole population.
Why do you need someone of the same race to 'represent' you?
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree.
tehjonny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Laika)
I don't agree with quotas but the police need to stop being racist. I recognise the need for representation of all areas of the community in the police.
Evidence for this please? Hopefully something more substantial than 'everyone knows they are' or 'these two cases here'. I want irrefutable proof that EVERY officer in this country who is white is racist.
tehjonny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Laika)
Look the police have been criticised in the past for institutional racism as well as being accused of a number of racist crimes. I appreciate this is probably a minority of officers, and if I have made an incorrect assumption then I'll issue the police with a written apology. But you know exactly what I am getting at without the need for me to dig up evidence, which you would dismiss anyway, thus rendering the exercise pointless.
Criticism is not evidence. Innocent until proven guilty anyone?
I don't think I do know what you are getting at...and if you did find evidence and it checked out I don't think either I or Poltroon would be so childish as to dismiss it out of hand.

(Original post by Laika)
Not necessarily, especially if doing so is at the expense of the quality of the force. But I think it helps to have officers from different ethnic background in the force to help accurately reflect the composition of the community and act as role models, yes.
Where did this ridiculous idea come from? Why do we have to be represented by someone of the same ethnicity? I don't care if my MP is a muslim jamaican women in a wheelchair, if she does the job well. Why do people assume racism if every walk of life, work and government does not exactly mimic the demographic it represents? Absolute ****e.
tehjonny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SolInvictus)
While I must say that I disagree entirely with this whole positive discrimination nonsense, has it occured to anyone that a police force that is representative of a community deals better with members of those communities?
So a white person is unable to communicate with a black person, and vice-versa? Thats simply not true.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tehjonny)
So a white person is unable to communicate with a black person, and vice-versa? Thats simply not true.
It's not just about communication; it's about respect and being able to relate to someone. If a black person hates the police because he sees them as a bunch of racists, he might react better to a black police officer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.27%
No (656)
72.73%

Watched Threads