The better of two evils? Watch

Blue!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
You are basically denying the existence of moral absolutes. If that is true, then why, in almost every single context, raping and killing is wrong. Surely that kind of occurance suggests that there is something about rape and murder that makes is simply wrong?
Foxius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wrong in, I daresay, the majority of situations. But when placed into a position whereby you see another action as being worse, as in your thought experiment, then how can you place such a confident judgement?

Here's my definition of a moraly good action - a situation where all choices considered, you make the most rational decision. And I think this leads to another one of Blue's threads.
rawkingpunkster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Blue!)
You are basically denying the existence of moral absolutes. If that is true, then why, in almost every single context, raping and killing is wrong. Surely that kind of occurance suggests that there is something about rape and murder that makes is simply wrong?
Well I would think that something is considered wrong because universally, globally, rape in any context is wrong. Forcing someone to have intercourse is wrong. Killing is wrong.

But when you contextualize and put a situation to it, you need to consider more factors. If you don't carry out the rape and murder, you leave the person to suffer MORE, worse still you will get killed. Not doing anything is considered wrong here because u subject that person to an even WORSE fate. If the intentions are good and the soldier does indeed make it less painful, surely this is a better course of action?

Besides, the fact that you wont be killed yourself if you carry out those acts is some sort of an incentive; it appeals to the human nature of wanting to live.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (82)
46.07%
Pro-humanity (96)
53.93%

Watched Threads