Social Phobia Watch

gaijin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok firstly I realise this will be a strange topic to those who are unfamiliar with it, but has anybody had any experience or known anyone with social phobia?

Ive suffered from it for years and it really gets in the way of my life. Ive started to see a therapist about it. Has anybody here suffered from it and successfully overcome it?
Yes and yes.....!

I couldn't go out of the house. I once stayed at home for 3 weeks without going outside. Even getting your arse off the couch and seeing a film or something does help a little.

I really just stopped caring about what people think of me... I think when you're young there is too much emphasis on you to fit in and fill a certain role. Thank god when you get older there are tons of people like me now - who really don't give a damn...

(Original post by generalebriety)
Wow... I googled it to see if you were making this up, because it sounds so fake, but no, it's real... but... um, no offence, but doesn't everyone get that if they're not used to social situations? Like shyness or reclusiveness? :confused: I know I do. I have often refused to meet people, especially in groups, because I was worried. But then when I get used to the people and the place I'm fine.
Someone who is shy can often be quite awkward around people and they are naturally inclined not to be outgoing and have no desires to be....

People who are social-phobic may well be naturally fine with people on a one to one basis and be more out-going than those who are shy but are blighted by extreme anxiety that cripples their natural behaviour. For instance, when they are at home or with people they know they may be a completely different person than if they are surrounded by complete strangers. You may see people scared of planes who are lively as hell, chatting all the time, but as soon as they venture into an airport, they go suddenly quiet and can't speak.

Also when a person is shy as you put it - the person in question does not get sweaty hands, palpations and an extreme sensation of about to die when faced with these situations.

I should know, I almost lost my life due its ugly problems.

Meeting new people, going somewhere new is always stressful regardless of social-phobia or not. A social-phobic will suffer extreme anxiety and feelings over the situation to the point of extreme isolation from it... Certainly it does help to branch out and the face the fears - but its not always that easy.

I think of a lot of the problem is the breakdown of a social life. This excerbates a Catch-22 situation though...

With regards to the initial poster - don't give up. I did it and so can you - one step at a time and all that crap. If you want support, I'll be more than glad to help you.
R1chyP
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Been there, done that, ruined a year of my life.

Went from a leader of men to a quiet listener, due to stress.

Woke up one day and realised what a pussy i was and it's all back to normal. Don't use alcohol to relieve your symptoms, believe me, it only works in the short term! Try stay of the marijuana too, induces paranoia(the root of this!)

I firmly believe it's routed in childhood experiences and social paranoia. I was a real quiet, yet intelligent and physically strong kid so never had any problems in school. Hit the real world, bubble burst, start to realise being with the same people 24/7 for 13 years does you know favours.
esmaraldo
Report 12 years ago
I am usually quite confident, ie, I did mock trials, and I opened debates...I even talked to a lot of random tiny kids with their not so random parents about their brains. But I had this acute irrational fear of attending my school prom.

It may have been because I knew somewhere deep down that a lot can go wrong when teenagers gather. Prom night certainly wasn't fun...I had acute deja vu. Several times.

I hadn't wanted to go. My friends made me buy a ticket, and made me go. It's 6 hours, max, how hard can it be?

I certainly wouldn't say that I have social phobia, as the problem isn't chronic. But I did have a taste of the absolute fear that apparently normal situations can cause for people.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok firstly I realise this will be a strange topic to those who are unfamiliar with it, but has anybody had any experience or known anyone with social phobia?

Ive suffered from it for years and it really gets in the way of my life. Ive started to see a therapist about it. Has anybody here suffered from it and successfully overcome it?
Absolutely. Although I never knew there was a name for it. For me it was basically a confidence issue. Got over it by faking confidence.
cuzman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

I had a really bad childhood (the kind that no-one would wish on their worst enemy). After several years of hell my life became increasingly better from the age of 13 and I became the life and soul of the party. I was quite popular and very outgoing, but my childhood never went away.

After becoming successful in my early working life I started to become more and more withdrawn. I was still doing well in some areas of life, but found it very difficult being around people I didn't already know. It got to the point where I couldn't leave my house, not agoraphobia, but a form of anthropophobia - a fear of people.

I ended up seeing a shrink for a few years, and was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder (amongst other things). I know this because I had all the psych reports for the criminal cases brought against the people responsible for my (and others') treatment as kids. Lots of prescription drugs and some of the lowest feelings humanly possible have all been through me, but I'm 98% better now.

I'm 28 now, and only just going off to university. I have a new lease of life so I'm doing a lot of things that I missed out on and making up for lost time. I can't suggest that your problems are caused by anything similar to mine, but talking to a professional will always make your situation much better. It often feels as if your ability to handle your problems gets worse as you go through therapy, but you should always stick with it.

"There's light at the end of the tunnel" (and various other cliches).
Ross_j
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i'm not trying to be condescending here or rude at all because this is probably my ignorance coming through but why does every problem in life has a scientific theory attached to it? why is it some people can't just be more confident than others, some more nervous, some more outgoing, some more introverted, some less comfortable with new social/work situations etc etc and that's it?
phoenixv
Report 12 years ago
hey, would like to highly recommend reading books by leil lowndes

she's really good and i think her books will help you out a lot. i read one yesterday, how to talk to anyone. it was GOOD.

yeah, and it takes practice as well. what doesn't?
R1chyP
Report 12 years ago
I'm not one for blaming childhood, i've got to say.

Fair point that it DOES have something to do with who you are BUT forget the past and live for the moment. No point worrying..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed