Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im_smartypants)
    How would you find out who is a muslim though? I could be a muslim even though I am from a Catholic background and an white/english. It would be too hard to police, not to mention all of the racism problems it would raise with governments
    The grand majority of muslims are second generation arabs/pakistani/bangladeshi. A minority maybe white converts, but lets not pretend you 'can't tell who is a muslim' because you can, just as I can tell when someone is black :p: . Then lets factor in that the majority of these extremists are young males...you wouldn't be inconveniencing many people.

In the end, are we willing to endanger the majority, to avoid offending the minority?

If a town was 90% black but white people committed 96% of the crime, you'd expect them to be profiled and targetted. Thats not racist, its common-sense. If a plane was blown up tomorrow, would you really be happy that 'at least the guy wasn't subjected to ''racism''?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Do you have any idea how much terrorism that would inspire among the muslim community? You have to understand that terrorists are extremely rare among muslims, but segregating them like that would create many new extremists among the muslim population due to the fact that segregating them would be treating them like guilty people.

Any sensible person can see that working against terrorism is not a case of alienating muslims; quite the opposite in fact. Think about it for a minute - if you had to board separate flights because of your religion, because everyone else suspected that you or your kind were terrorists, would you be happy with that situation?

EDIT: Ah, I hadn't read you signature. I'm guessing you'd actually promote this system not to decrease terrorism, but to separate yourself from muslims.
    You have to remember though, that everytime the government announces new anti-terror measures, Muslims complain anyways. You can't win, but you do have to protect this country. If that means offending a minority, so be it.

You also have to remember that many Muslims actively segregate themselves into separate communities. If we have to work with them, surely the first step is to discourage this ghetto mentality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    I hope there is one more terrorist attack. A white converted Muslim attending a BNP rally, while sitting next to coaster......

When i saw the title, i just laughed my head off.
    Thats a bit crass :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think this measure would be playing directly into the terrorists hand. It would give them more ammunition against us and divide the nation even more.
    Plus, the whole idea is impractical - it would basically be a 'no brown people' rule! Have we suddenly travelled back in time?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one (and admittedly I've skimmed the topic) who notes that on 9/11 FAR MORE people died as a result of where the planes hit then actually died on the planes. So you could set up an all-muslim airline in the ridiculous belief that muslims wouldn't kill other muslims (considering that the biggest victims of Islamic terrorism are Muslims - that seems quite absurd) or that that would keep other planes safe... But what's to stop those planes being used as make-shift missiles (as on 9/11) and going plowing in to Canary Wharf, undoubtedly killing more on the ground than there are on the plane?

ReputationRep:
    Most Muslims in this country are happily integrated into our community anyway, therefore they are stil victims of terror attacks putting British muslims on a flight with terrorists will not act as a deterrant, besides look at all the terrorist plots not involving planes, what should we do? Make muslim only football matches and muslim only tube trains? It seems to encourage segregation at a time when we need to come together as a society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehjonny)
    The grand majority of muslims are second generation arabs/pakistani/bangladeshi. A minority maybe white converts, but lets not pretend you 'can't tell who is a muslim' because you can, just as I can tell when someone is black :p: . Then lets factor in that the majority of these extremists are young males...you wouldn't be inconveniencing many people.
    Dear Christ, is Islam now a race as opposed to religion? Everything you write is ****ing stupid, may I suggest in future you actually think before you type.

How about we ban all middle class white males from being businessmen, because the majority of convicted fraudsters fall into this category?

ReputationRep:
    The grand majority of muslims are second generation arabs/pakistani/bangladeshi. A minority maybe white converts, but lets not pretend you 'can't tell who is a muslim' because you can, just as I can tell when someone is black :p: .
    In my office is an Indian gentleman who is a Hindu and a Pakistani gentleman who is a Muslim. They look kind of similar to me.

Additionally, a dear friend of mine is Egyptian. He looks like he could be a muslim but is in fact a Copt; he's about the most devout and orthodox Christian I have ever met outside of the priesthood.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember though, that everytime the government announces new anti-terror measures, Muslims complain anyways. You can't win, but you do have to protect this country. If that means offending a minority, so be it.
    There's a big difference between offending a minority and directly discriminating against one. The government can't stop making policies because they might offend people, otherwise it wouldn't be able to make any policies at all, but on both practical and ethical grounds the government can't discriminate against a whole religion because a very small number of it's members are willing to commit acts of terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    I think the general view is that it is a Bad Idea!

ReputationRep:
    ^o) Not really dude... What happened to the African muslim countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    Dear Christ, is Islam now a race as opposed to religion? Everything you write is ****ing stupid, may I suggest in future you actually think before you type.

How about we ban all middle class white males from being businessmen, because the majority of convicted fraudsters fall into this category?
    I was suggesting dear boy that the majority, by no means all, but the majority of muslims in this country are of arab/middle-eastern origin, if you can find me figures showing that in actual fact they are mostly white, I'll take back this view. It is very easy to tell if someone is muslim in this country via race and clothing. It is a religion, but it is deluded to think that the majority of them are not from a specific racial background.

I was not even supporting the proposition, actually arguing against it. I suggest you read my posts, rather than simply typing a load of vitriolic ****e without thinking. Did I anywhere suggest that muslims should be banned from planes? No, I did not, and so your second 'point' just makes you seem presumptious and arrogant.

How do you know everything I write is stupid, are you spying on me creak? I'm flattered if so. I do however find this amusing coming from you, because I have yet to see you make one valuable contribution to a debate, in fact all I've seen you do is throw insults around and throw your toys out of the pram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Green Manalishi)
    ^o) Not really dude... What happened to the African muslim countries?
    I was talking about this country :p:, but point taken.

ReputationRep:
    There's a big difference between offending a minority and directly discriminating against one. The government can't stop making policies because they might offend people, otherwise it wouldn't be able to make any policies at all, but on both practical and ethical grounds the government can't discriminate against a whole religion because a very small number of it's members are willing to commit acts of terrorism.
    I don't think anti-terror measures are discrimatory, they are prudent.

As I said, if in a hypothetical town white people where committing a disproportionate amount of crime (of any type, equate with terrorism), I'd expect them to be targetted. I'd also hope the reasonable, non-criminal ones (e.g. the moderate Islamic majority), would understand why this is the case, and why this HAS to be the case. We are not in a position to molly-coddle or step-lightly.

ReputationRep:
    It is very easy to tell if someone is muslim in this country via race and clothing.
    What, jeans or tracksuits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    What, jeans or tracksuits?
    ?FFS. Why are people so bloody obtuse?

Perhaps in your area it is different, but in mine the muslim community is still a very separate thing. They in general wear muslim clothing such as Abaya, Hijab, Jilbab, Shawls etc. It is evident to me who is muslim and who is not.

Certainly with British born muslims this is seldom the case. However, if what the left says is true (e.g. british born muslims are integrated), we have no need to target them do we, but rather those that don't subscribe to western codes of dress, and so it is very easy to profile and target...its remarkably simple.

However, in your rush to get to the point were you can accuse me of racism and walk off with a smug grin (leaving a rhy one on mine), you've seemingly missed this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and im sure in those circumstances the teorrorist would walk up to the check in desk and say "hi there! i'm both a terrorist and a muslim!" in order to make the sucurity service's job a bit easier

(they wouldn't turn up in disguise, or anything!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andronicus Comnenus)
    Yes, and im sure in those circumstances the teorrorist would walk up to the check in desk and say "hi there! i'm both a terrorist and a muslim!" in order to make the sucurity service's job a bit easier

(they wouldn't turn up in disguise, or anything!)
    And this is why they must be rigorously checked...

I fail to understand why muslims get angry at the police trying to protect them, rather than the extremists that force the security services to behave in a ''racist'' fashion.

So your pretty much saying 'its too difficult to stop terrorism, lets just be complacent and take it up the bum'?

Ahhh sod it ay, lets not defend ourselves, lets try and understand why these people wish to kill us, lets have empathy for their fanatical mentality, hey, its probably our own fault anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea how much terrorism that would inspire among the muslim community? You have to understand that terrorists are extremely rare among muslims,

Funniest line I've ever read on TSR! lol :eek: :eek: :eek: hahahahahaha lol LOL LOL

ReputationRep:
    So your pretty much saying 'its too difficult to stop terrorism, lets just be complacent and take it up the bum'?
    No, i'm saying that 'Muslim only' flights are an utterly moronic idea that is completley unworkable, unless you're suggesting one flight for white people and one flight for brown people (which, incidently also wouldn't work, unless you segregated all mediterranean people as well).

Here's an idea! instead of introducing unworkable arbitrary racist security methods, why simply improve the measures already in place so random people can't board flights to Lisbon at a time when there's supposed to be a security lockdown?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.