Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AQA seem to have a real problem with units 2 and 5. Last year some people in my class who were better than me got Us in unit 2 for french and german and I got a low a and a b. Maybe its just luck... The same problems happened this year with unit 5. I got almost full marks for units 4 and 6 but an e for unit 5 in german, which was meant to be my best paper. Thankfully it didn't cost me my grade and i got an A overall. (Yay!) This situation is so unfair, my school complained to AQA about the as results for several years and the paper changed so in Jan 2006 you only had to write one essay for unit 2 instead of 2 before but it doesn't seem to have made much difference to the marks. However after plenty of practise (taking FRO2 3 times, lol) i got full marks in the end!

ReputationRep:
    I am VERY VERY VERY VERY ANNOYED!
    For my French A-S level
    Unit One - B (as expected)
    Unit Two - U (not even a high one! completely unexpected - was expecting an A/B for this as is best paper and felt I did well on it.
    Unit Three - D (but high and was expecting this as I'm not great at speaking French

The essay paper is so completely unexpected so I don't know what went wrong...

ReputationRep:
    We had problems with FR02 at my school last year. All 7 of us got Us (I got 25/90) in French paper two. We got it remarked..I went up to 35/90..still a U.. then retook in Jan and got 88/90! Two others retook and also got As. My French hadn't improved loads, I'd just learned how to do the exam..It's ridiculous how they mark it, but hey.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, ive just got my AS french results and managed this:

Reading/listening - 96/105 A
    Writing - 30/90 U(!!!!!!!)
    Speaking - 84/105 (A)

However just managed to scrape a B overall!
    I dont understand it as i thought my worst section was my speaking! How can i get two high A's and a U?

Was talking to other people from my college who did French and turns out quite a few of us scored really lowly...one of my mates only got 26?

Anyway the college have sent all of them back for remarking but i just cant understand it!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I got AAA for the French modules, but borderline for Mod 2.
    ABA for German modules (A anyway - thank God...) and ACA (but A overall - woo!) for Spanish modules. So I think the essay is the hardest...

ReputationRep:
    As I seem to be one of the few who actually did ok on the essay (77/90 A) maybe I can help. Someone said earlier in the thread about 'learning how to do the exam' and with the essay especially I think this is important. My grammar is absolutely crap, but my teache made sure I knew that you get marks for stating a fact about Germany, then you back up this fact with your opinion on it. So you can't get good marks on the essay without having lots of content, having specific content and stats about Germany, and finally having your own opinion about it. My essay in the exam, basically followed a fact and opinion structure.

Maybe that's where people are dropping marks? Sorry if that was patronising and you guys knew that but it might be that that is the problem.

ReputationRep:
    AS: Yep, ACA.

It's just the nature of the exam. The essay's all technique. I did no practice.

ReputationRep:
    The essay papers are really hard. The trick is to shove as much knowledge of the country as you can in, with lots of opinions. We all got E's and U's first time we did it for AS. Thankfully we all (including the teacher) learnt from our mistakes.
    As for the coursework (unit 5). That's just impossible. I tried really hard on it too.

French - B (455/600)
    Unit 1 - B (80/105)
    Unit 2 - A (77/90) Resit
    Unit 3 - A (93/105) Resit

Unit 4 - B (74/105)
    Unit 5 - D (49/90)
    Unit 6 - B (82/105)

ReputationRep:
    I hated the essay paper; it was my worst module for AS German. Think I scraped a B on it.

I hadn't noticed anything 'unusual' or whatever for Unit 5 though - but I did the coursework option.

ReputationRep:
    I got 100% on German Unit 2 but I came out of the exam thinking I'd failed it... the structure was crap, the grammar wasn't excellent, but I went on about Germany leading the way in Kyoto Protocol targets etc so it's a bit of a joke really. At A-level they should be testing your ability in the language, not so much your knowledge of topics or ability to jump through stupid hoops.
    I thought I did alright on Unit 5 this year... apparently not.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.