Turn on thread page Beta

Reality Check... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread and thankyouuuu for all the ecouragement.

I just have one more dillema. I did work experience in the summer at a GP's surgery but I dont feel like I learnt anything "medical related" from it. Basically I wasnt allowed to observe the Gps because of certain laws and therefore spent all my time working in reception. I was grateful for the experience but I dont know what to write in my PS for how my WE aided in my final decision in becoming a DR.

I am also volunteering at a hospital on wards talking to patients and making them tea but once again its all just communication and most of the time the patients arent even up to talking.

I understand that good communication skills are required and i have proved that- by the WE and my current retail job.

How can I explain on my PS what I actually LEARNT from my WE by bringing people tea and arranging them appointments???

I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful and dissapointed with my WE, because I'm really not - I tried so hard to get it and I know some people may have tried harder and got none. Its just that I'm trying to write my PS and feel like I've hit a wall!!! Is anyone else having a similar experience to mine?

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit, this thread is GREATT!!!! A friend of mine ended up with DEU for his AS, completely messed them up, but his predictions were AAA because he worked his bakside off throughout the year. He resat a truckload of module papers in January and in the end he ended up with AAA as his overall A-levels. Now he's happily doing dentistry at manchester uni. BELIEVE IT, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha_angel89)
    Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread and thankyouuuu for all the ecouragement.

I just have one more dillema. I did work experience in the summer at a GP's surgery but I dont feel like I learnt anything "medical related" from it. Basically I wasnt allowed to observe the Gps because of certain laws and therefore spent all my time working in reception. I was grateful for the experience but I dont know what to write in my PS for how my WE aided in my final decision in becoming a DR.

I am also volunteering at a hospital on wards talking to patients and making them tea but once again its all just communication and most of the time the patients arent even up to talking.

I understand that good communication skills are required and i have proved that- by the WE and my current retail job.

How can I explain on my PS what I actually LEARNT from my WE by bringing people tea and arranging them appointments???

I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful and dissapointed with my WE, because I'm really not - I tried so hard to get it and I know some people may have tried harder and got none. Its just that I'm trying to write my PS and feel like I've hit a wall!!! Is anyone else having a similar experience to mine?
    With the GP .. I mean you could talk about the paperwork and its importance..or maybe something that you did in terms of paperwork ..

I did 2 weeks @ the GP's and it involved alot of paperwork but luckily I sat in with the practice nurse too so that was helpful! .. but i'm able to talk about the paperwork I did *whilst the receptionist watched over me* ..and how it'd help the patients..

In terms of your volunteer work talking to patients is a GREAT thing ..durin my work exp at hospitals i loved it.. you can find out what's wrong w/ them ..if its not a sensitive issue and whatnot .. and then the treatment perhaps.. SO for your PS maybe talk about the importance of patient care .. and you can always talk about what you see on the wards as part of it which can then come up at interview!

I'm havin trouble writing my PS too believe me.. i'm procrastinating like crazy! Just jot down what you wanna include and any really good phrases too.. and then slowly piece it together!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaceful_blossom)
    Dont you need to write your mod marks down on ucas starting 2007 application?
    Only if you're cashing in..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl)
    Only if you're cashing in..
    The story I read said [?BBC] that unis will have all AS grade UMS, cashed in or not. It would help if press releases all said the same thing! I see yet another **** up on the horizon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha_angel89)
    I rang up a few unis (kings, imp and man) and they confirmed that if you "cash-in" your AS grades and get the certificate, etc then the unis will be able to see your MODULAR GRADES but not your UMS score.

Therefore, I plan to cash in on Eng lit as I am dropping it now and my modular grades were AAD therefore overall a grade B - Do you think having a D will affect my application?
    Fluffy.. ^^
    If the unis themselves are saying it, don't think the students have much to worry about?
    My head of year at my college also said it to me .. and if everyone's wrong.. im a bit screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    The story I read said [?BBC] that unis will have all AS grade UMS, cashed in or not. It would help if press releases all said the same thing! I see yet another **** up on the horizon...
    Thats what I heard too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl)
    Fluffy.. ^^
    If the unis themselves are saying it, don't think the students have much to worry about?
    My head of year at my college also said it to me .. and if everyone's wrong.. im a bit screwed
    The last time I read that was on A-Level results day - would have been the BBC or Sky News online...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.