Rooms and general Freshers stuff Watch

CorpusNinja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
corpus said they allocate a reasonable space for storage over hols (except summer obviously) but you'd need to insure your stuff for lock up etc. my freshers pack answers just about any q you can think of...how thorough of them...
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SaccerZD)
I'm going to Robinson to do Law, and was wondering about 2 things:

firstly, my girlfriend is going to Nottingham and I would definitely like to go and see her a couple of weekends each term. Realistically, and bearing in mind I will probably be joing a few clubs for sport, how likely is it that this will happen?

secondly, is it true that at the end of each term you have to empty all of your belongings out of your room because the college uses them for conference visitors and so on? isn't this a major hassle - moving clothes, electrics, tv, etc every 8 weeks? Can't you leave them in your room over holidays (except summer), or in a safe/lock-up ?
You should be able to get to see her if you plan your time well, but chances are it will be more convenient for her to come and see you. As for moving stuff, yeah, it's a complete ****ing hassle. You can leave stuff in the top box in your room, and a couple of trunks in the trunk room. Otherwise you'll have to take stuff back and forth. They're a bit more lenient if you're in one of the hostels, but you'll be in college in your first year.

MB
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm going to Robinson to do Law, and was wondering about 2 things:

firstly, my girlfriend is going to Nottingham and I would definitely like to go and see her a couple of weekends each term. Realistically, and bearing in mind I will probably be joing a few clubs for sport, how likely is it that this will happen?
In terms of workload, it'd be possible. However, if you're planning on playing sports, most matches are held on Saturday or Sunday, and if you row you'll be needed for training at the weekend for sure. This might scupper your plans a bit.
popop12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
In terms of workload, it'd be possible. However, if you're planning on playing sports, most matches are held on Saturday or Sunday, and if you row you'll be needed for training at the weekend for sure. This might scupper your plans a bit.
How serious do you need to get about rowing in cam? do you need to join a gym and how many times a week do you practice?
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by popop12345)
How serious do you need to get about rowing in cam? do you need to join a gym and how many times a week do you practice?
If you're asking how little commitment does it take to row?

Well for at least your first term of doing it, commitments can be as little as one or two outings a week, usually early in the morning before lectures. And that's usually it (no need to join the gym or anything - anyway, colleges have their own equipment in their boathouses).
SaccerZD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thta's rowing for your college team, i presume? I knew the uni team was serious, but didn't know that it would be that serious for the intercollegiate teams.

(Original post by musicbloke)
chances are it will be more convenient for her to come and see you.
why is this? Is cambridge much busier in terms of extra-curricular activites?
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
why is this? Is cambridge much busier in terms of extra-curricular activites?
Chances are you'll have more work than her.

MB
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
is it posssible to do rowing and another sport?? cos rowing seems to be a pretty time consuming sport!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Twiglet)
is it posssible to do rowing and another sport?? cos rowing seems to be a pretty time consuming sport!
It depends what level you choose to row at.

If you've never rowed before and want to try as a novice, at most colleges this will mean between 2 and 4 outings a week unless you want to be in a completely lazy useless boat. It's likely a couple of these will be in the morning (usually meeting at the boathouse at 7am) and at least one on the weekends in the afternoon. So if you want to play hockey or something for your college too, that'd probably be possible, provided match/practice times don't clash.

Once it starts to get serious though, rowing really can take over. First boats practice upwards of 20 hours a week, with water outings, erg sessions and circuits/weights sessions. There will be lower commitment boats, particularly in Easter term though.

thta's rowing for your college team, i presume? I knew the uni team was serious, but didn't know that it would be that serious for the intercollegiate teams.
Yep - as novices, your aim is Clare Novice Regatta at the end of 7th week, where you sprint side by side for 800m. There's also novice Fairbairns, which is a 2.6km head race (time trial) right at the end of term, so you need to get from total beginners to being able to row for that distance in 7 weeks! If you've rowed before then you'd be training harder for Uni IVs and Senior Fairbairns.

The Blues squads are in another league entirely

And to popop12345, there's no need to join a gym as your club will have ergs for you to use and will organise weights/circuits sessions for you.
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you've never rowed before and want to try as a novice, at most colleges this will mean between 2 and 4 outings a week unless you want to be in a completely lazy useless boat.
so, how good you can get does depend a bit on the commitment of the rest of your boat too? Is it possible to go from being a total non rower to actually do some of the races? - or do all the proper rowers do the races? (presumably they just go off and do their uni IVs etc)
I really want to do rowing, its so exciting ! hehe
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Uni rowing is about 12 sessions a week and getting up early
It varies from college to college but
Novice college rowing = 2-4 outings a week, plus possibly an erg depending on college choice
Good colleges seniors: 8+ sessions a week
Lesser colleges/lower boats: 6-8 sessions/3-5
beer boats: 3 (usually only in summer term)

However a lot of training takes place in the morning so you can have the rest of the day free. Its great fun and worth doing for a term and then giving up before it gets too serious.
And no college is going to force you to do 14 training sessions a week if you don't want to, there will be boats for your commitment level. Though the more you put in the more you get out, especially in the first term
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Novice rowers do Emma Springs, Clare Novices and Jesus Fairbairns in the first term. Most colleges will enter as many boats as they can for all these so you won't be left out unless you are a complete danger to the rest of the world. So you do three races within 10 weeks of getting here. A lot f people give up after that for the next term when Novice rowers tend to form college 2nd/3rd/4th boats (depending on how good the senior squad was before) but occasioanly a good rower (usually at a less good college) gets into the first boat. Then its trainig for bumps which are a lot of fun http://www.firstandthird.org/tables/...mpsintro.shtml
its absolute carnage, 16 boats all chasing each other
popop12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
THaanks for all the info, 2-4 a week sounds fine.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Twiglet)
so, how good you can get does depend a bit on the commitment of the rest of your boat too? Is it possible to go from being a total non rower to actually do some of the races? - or do all the proper rowers do the races? (presumably they just go off and do their uni IVs etc)
I really want to do rowing, its so exciting ! hehe
No, in Michaelmas term novice rowers are completely segregated from seniors. Clare Novice Regatta (which I helped organise last year, so know more about than Emma Sprints or Fairbairns) is restricted to people who have NEVER rowed before 1st October of that term, and coxes who have never coxed a race before the same date. This makes it a reasonably level playing field - you won't be against any seniors! There is the odd crash and it can be quite entertaining for us watching!

Novice rowing is great fun - if you want to do well, the more serious colleges really go all out for training for CNR etc, but at colleges with smaller boat clubs, novice term is all about having fun and getting people keen about rowing so that we get lots to stay on for Lent and May Bumps.
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thatnks for all that ^ , it sounds really good fun, cant wait!
SaccerZD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it sounds like it'll be a big portion of my time, but I'd like to try rowing; I know it isn't the same, but I use the rowing machine at the gym and I like getting into a rhythm on that, so I think I'd enjoy it.
Jigglypuff
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What about the ice hockey team anyone? I can ice skate and I know how to play hockey...is this good enough? It looks really fun.
Ruthie_J
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow ice hockey does sound fun! Although I am rather attatched to my teeth :p:
I'm hoping to get stuck into some sport while i'm there, I play for a Netball team at the moment so I guess i'll be looking to keep that on. I doubt I'd measure up to rowing as I have about as much upper body strength as a flea. A baby one. With wimpy tendancies.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie_J)
I'm hoping to get stuck into some sport while i'm there, I play for a Netball team at the moment so I guess i'll be looking to keep that on. I doubt I'd measure up to rowing as I have about as much upper body strength as a flea. A baby one. With wimpy tendancies.
Be a cox! You get to go to all the dinners, shout at people, wear lots of layers (only when cold obviously) and don't have to pull your arms out of their sockets or generally die of exhaustion!
Jigglypuff
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie_J)
Lol, gum shield and mask will prevent the loss of them I'm sure! Is there a Kendo club? I always thought that looked cool too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)