New Engineers in October?? Watch

ArVi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imageofreality)
yeh i was gutted at that too!! i got a nice calculator which gave you all your answers in surds and now i can't use it ! luckily i have one of the ones they ask for, its the fx-85 i think (hope) its ok i used it uptil my a2 exams.. dusn't draw graphs tho

how are people finding the problem sheets?? im struggling with the mechanics one!!
I think the fx85 and fx83 come with natural display now (surds, etc.) I'll have to get one of these before coming. Its going to be difficult becuase I'm used to using 'CALC' button and numeric integration on the fx991

I haven't really started the problem sheets yet Will start soon
I'll probably find the mechanics ones hard as well (don't really like mechanics :p: ). Did you do further maths? If so, which modules (and have you done all mechanics)?
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys- im still in two minds whether to apply to oxford for engineering, can you tell me what kinda questions did you get in your interview? I mean technical questions- thanks
imageofreality
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
lolol i didn't do further maths so i have only done one module of mechanics... in my interview i said i was working on M2 classes... they kinda failed after the interview... shame really they might have actually been useful!
imageofreality
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArVi)
I think the fx85 and fx83 come with natural display now (surds, etc.)
*breathes a huge sigh relief* how much mechanics have you done??
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lolol i didn't do further maths so i have only done one module of mechanics... in my interview i said i was working on M2 classes... they kinda failed after the interview... shame really they might have actually been useful!
I've done quite a bit more mechanics that you have (M1 - M4). My intention was to learn M5 (and parts of the old M6) over summer, but that... errr... didn't really happen :p:

Don't worry - I'm sure they'll cover the stuff you need to know from the higher mechanics modules in the first year
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*breathes a huge sigh relief*
Yeah, I know! Look for the 'ES' after the calculator model - that's for natural display. fx-83ES and fx-85ES are both available - but do you think they'll be allowed? They haven't specified on the letter they sent (they've just said fx83, fx85)... do you think they'll let us use natural display calculators?
imageofreality
Rep:
?
i really hope so :p: otherwise ill have to go old school and use the triangles all the time for my trig ratios:p: gud god, thats a lot of mechanics!!!! you kno when you get started on these questions if you cuold give me a few pointers would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes: they go up tto m6??? some people really really like mechanics...............
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i really hope so :p: otherwise ill have to go old school and use the triangles all the time for my trig ratios:p: gud god, thats a lot of mechanics!!!! you kno when you get started on these questions if you cuold give me a few pointers would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes: they go up tto m6??? some people really really like mechanics...............
I can definitely help out if you are stuck on anything I better get started on them myself :p:

Yeah, they do go up to M6 :rolleyes:, but now they've scrapped M6 because not many people were taking the exam! I didn't really have a choice with the mechanics. School insisted we did M1-M5 (I managed to get out of M5 though and did S1 by myself )
imageofreality
Rep:
?
i wish i went to your school! ours made us do this stupid as module of discrete maths for the a2 applied one which was abit of a joke reali and so boooring.. but never mind!what day are you going down to oxford??
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i wish i went to your school! ours made us do this stupid as module of discrete maths for the a2 applied one which was abit of a joke reali and so boooring.. but never mind!what day are you going down to oxford??
I think I'll be coming to Oxford around the 30th Sept/1st Oct. I'll only be moving in to college on the 2nd though. What about you?
imageofreality
Rep:
?
coming down on the 3rd to move in!it still feels really far away tho compared to some people i kno who are movin in like a week on thursday/friday!!
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
coming down on the 3rd to move in!it still feels really far away tho compared to some people i kno who are movin in like a week on thursday/friday!!
Yeah, I know. Alot of my friends are leaving for the UK in about 2 weeks time. Alot of other univerisites start before us (I know Imperial and Bristol also start around the same time as us). We also get holidays before all of them! But having just 8 weeks of term at a time... they'll make us work really hard :eek:
imageofreality
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArVi)
But having just 8 weeks of term at a time... they'll make us work really hard :eek:
i kno!how easy do you think itll be to make friends!!! i hope people are right, a guy at work was saying sneezin on sumone in the first few days made you a friends for life :p:! do you kno wot projects we do on the course!!i kinda like the hands on bit (i possibly should have looked before the whole applying thing...nevamind..)
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a guy at work was saying sneezin on sumone in the first few days made you a friends for life :p:!
:rolleyes:

do you kno wot projects we do on the course!!i kinda like the hands on bit (i possibly should have looked before the whole applying thing...nevamind..)
I don't think we do any projects till the 3rd or 4th year IIRC.
X hasn't been on here for a while has he?
stonecontagion
Report 12 years ago
hey, i was just lookin for a thread like this, hope people still watchin it. im off to study engineering at pembroke in october. so far ive just done the maths problem sheets. they wernt that difficult, tho im sure the others r so ive left them for now.
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stonecontagion)
hey, i was just lookin for a thread like this, hope people still watchin it. im off to study engineering at pembroke in october. so far ive just done the maths problem sheets. they wernt that difficult, tho im sure the others r so ive left them for now.
Another new Engineer!! Welcome!

I'm half way through the maths problem sheet - I haven't found it difficult (so far). imageofreality, how are you finding it? Quite a bit of that stuff is Further Maths stuff :eek:

I've had a look through the rest of the maths sheet and I don't think I'll manage the stats (at the end). I've only done S1 and don't really remember that :p:
imageofreality
Rep:
?
lol im finding it fairly hard, the questions on things ive done are fine and ive managed a few proofs for the hyperbolic functions oh dear, are there stats questions? i havnt even done s1 :rolleyes: neva mind! i thought the physics sheet looked ok tho! but yeh im thinking further maths may have helped me more than latin :p:.. however i soo wouldn't have got a coffee in every lesson...
ArVi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol im finding it fairly hard, the questions on things ive done are fine and ive managed a few proofs for the hyperbolic functions oh dear, are there stats questions? i havnt even done s1 :rolleyes: neva mind! i thought the physics sheet looked ok tho! but yeh im thinking further maths may have helped me more than latin :p:.. however i soo wouldn't have got a coffee in every lesson...
Well I guess they go over this stuff in the first few lectures anyway, so don't worry. If you need help with anything, just ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads