help!!! portfolio!!! - need your help! Watch

Sheen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im doing mine at the university college for the creative arts at epsom and the university college for the creative arts at farnham does it too.
camberwell art uni does it too hmmm
steveoyo
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I am in the process of creating my portfolio for applying to illustration degrees. I'm also kind of confused about what they expect as most University sites seem rather vauge with their portfolio requirements. I haven't ever studied an art course, (I have a foundation degree in media studies), I will be a mature student (21+) when the course begins however so I don't think they require any qualification.. The illustration work I do is line art style, using pen and then inked in photoshop, I only have about 10 completed pieces that I really like and would want to show, though a few were commisoned and used (do they take this into account?). I have sketchbooks filled with a mix of life drawing and imaginitive, I also have a couple of 30 second long computer animations. I've got plenty of time to produce more work, but I was just wondering if my portfolio seems as if it is lacking? Also is it wise to have a mixture of mediums? I mainly work in digital, would it be wise to do some watercolour, acrylic, collage work even though I'm pretty unfamiliar with these mediums?
soup_dragon87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Your portfolio folder would be just one part of what they're looking at I suspect. Take your sketchbooks, a laptop to show them your animations, and put some unfinished work in your folder too. They'll want to see that.
peeps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's good to have half illustration, the kind of thing that you'll be doing in the degree, and half things that are more experimental, show your imagination and conceptual thinking etc. Things like life drawing, experimenting with media, photography, mark making, collage etc, things that arent entirely finished off and polished as your illustration work would be. They like to see development of your pieces in sketchbooks too. You could give yourself a project to do, like making an artists book for example (they seem to love those) and give yourself a challange to do it without using any digital media, that way you can show them a sketchbook entirely dedicated to one project and a final outcome that shows experimentation in other mediums.
Frinko
Report 12 years ago
I did an art foundation even though I was unsure that I wanted to take a year out, instead of going straight onto my graphic design course at Leeds uni. I'm glad I did, because it gives you a whole different perspective and development of your skills. My portfolio at the end of my foundation consisted of 8 A1 pages, so that's 16 or so pieces of work. The first page was inticing and then the progression and variety of my work in the middle. The last page was my favorite piece. I only put in the pieces I like, so that I could talk about them passionately. I'm sure your art tutor/ teacher will help with your portfolio as they have done this many a time!

I hope this helps.

Good luck x x
ally88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey there!
does it have to be A1 or A2 size work, i personally prefer A3 and sketch books.
would that be alright?
x
Krechie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've applied for various art courses, the ones i need a portfolio are for Bath spa, fine art painting and applied art. Surrey-farnham-arts and media. Somerset arts-fine art.
I'm a bit confuzzled as to what to put in my portfolio as i dont plan to do a foundation, the reason being as i'm doing a gap year. However i may do a course within the year.
Also if i wish to display a film or video i've made in an interview shall i put it onto dvd and bring it?
I'm worried now i wont be as advanced as others xxx:confused:
Sheen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
I've applied for various art courses, the ones i need a portfolio are for Bath spa, fine art painting and applied art. Surrey-farnham-arts and media. Somerset arts-fine art.
I'm a bit confuzzled as to what to put in my portfolio as i dont plan to do a foundation, the reason being as i'm doing a gap year. However i may do a course within the year.
Also if i wish to display a film or video i've made in an interview shall i put it onto dvd and bring it?
I'm worried now i wont be as advanced as others xxx:confused:
i applied to do arts and media at farnham last year and i got in suprisingly i also applyed to do a foundation there as i could make my mind up and i also got in.
for my arts and media interview well i had been studying e-media so i wouldnt have tons of art work like everyone else did as i didnt come from an art background.
in my porfolio i put stills of an animation i did in and them put the ainmation on to disc, i made a website in dreamweaver displaying a photographic journey and he was really impressed with my photography.
I also wanting to try and build my lacking porfoilio up so i went to a gig and took some photographs of one of my fave bands playing live and he was impressed with those too.
I also put in a few essays thats i did really good in erm i also did some more photography work, i thought about doing something that would show/tell them the sort of things im into so i took pictures of stuff i like/love around my room.
I also did a 3d/2d random material montage in erm photoshop.
a had a few life drawings which was quite sh*t and he did tell me my drawing skills are abit weak but he said as i have an eye for photography (which is strange as ive never studied it and i dont take photos much) he said my porfolio was good even tho there wasnt much in it.
apprently he'd seen porfolios with less in it or the same emount and they werent as good :| ahahaha.

so yeah you should put it on a dvd and bring it, it makes sense so he or she can see what you can do.
they may ask you questions like what your fave artists/ directors and stuff are. i got asked that. i got asked quite a few questions, i guess they want to get to know you and what your into so they can work out if they should give you a place/if its the right course for you.
even tho i got places on both i chose to do the foundation at epsom instead and im glad i did it as im not thinking im gonna study graphics new media at epsom next year.
the foundation is pretty good. its helping me build up my porfolio which is want i wanted
i think he also said the fact i got offered a place on the foundation helpped, he didnt see why i could have a place on the BA
Krechie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sheen)
i applied to do arts and media at farnham last year and i got in suprisingly i also applyed to do a foundation there as i could make my mind up and i also got in.
for my arts and media interview well i had been studying e-media so i wouldnt have tons of art work like everyone else did as i didnt come from an art background.
in my porfolio i put stills of an animation i did in and them put the ainmation on to disc, i made a website in dreamweaver displaying a photographic journey and he was really impressed with my photography.
I also wanting to try and build my lacking porfoilio up so i went to a gig and took some photographs of one of my fave bands playing live and he was impressed with those too.
I also put in a few essays thats i did really good in erm i also did some more photography work, i thought about doing something that would show/tell them the sort of things im into so i took pictures of stuff i like/love around my room.
I also did a 3d/2d random material montage in erm photoshop.
a had a few life drawings which was quite sh*t and he did tell me my drawing skills are abit weak but he said as i have an eye for photography (which is strange as ive never studied it and i dont take photos much) he said my porfolio was good even tho there wasnt much in it.
apprently he'd seen porfolios with less in it or the same emount and they werent as good :| ahahaha.

so yeah you should put it on a dvd and bring it, it makes sense so he or she can see what you can do.
they may ask you questions like what your fave artists/ directors and stuff are. i got asked that. i got asked quite a few questions, i guess they want to get to know you and what your into so they can work out if they should give you a place/if its the right course for you.
even tho i got places on both i chose to do the foundation at epsom instead and im glad i did it as im not thinking im gonna study graphics new media at epsom next year.
the foundation is pretty good. its helping me build up my porfolio which is want i wanted
i think he also said the fact i got offered a place on the foundation helpped, he didnt see why i could have a place on the BA
Thanks very much that was very useful!!!
I havent applied for any foundation :s But i figure because i am taking a gap year i could re-apply if i dont get in to BA. Thanks very much! xx
Sheen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you welcome
i prob typed waaaaaaaay too much. haha
Krechie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sheen)
you welcome
i prob typed waaaaaaaay too much. haha
hah no it's all helpful!
Sheen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
cool
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads