Turn on thread page Beta

Driving to Birmingham tomorrow watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Few people in this country know how to drive on motorways, it does my head in doing 40 miles a day+ everyday on the M1, need to take lessons from the French on that matter.

ReputationRep:
    You have evidently not been to Essex! Essex is like the bad drivers haven with lane swapping, undertaking, mach 2 round country lanes, well...actually mach 2 everywhere.

Midlands is probs second worst place to drive tho.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    You have evidently not been to Essex! Essex is like the bad drivers haven with lane swapping, undertaking, mach 2 round country lanes, well...actually mach 2 everywhere.

Midlands is probs second worst place to drive tho.

Graham
    If that was at me, look at my location. I've honestly never thought Essex was too bad. You do get people doing stupid overtakes on some of the country roads (A414), but on the whole it's not worse than anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, no it wasn't aimed at you at all!

I used to live in Essex and Kent (changed sides of the river, lived in Greys then moved to Gravesend) and the driving was awful! Altho, this was like 7 years ago so perhaps things have changed since then?

Altho, i do think that different areas have different driving rules if that makes sense, for example Berkshire and the M4 corridor has very fast driving but it is usually fairly safe, whereas Stoke is just lunacy and my experience of Essex is super fast no matter the cost! Maybe i was in the wrong part of Essex lol!

Didn't mean to offend you and sorry if i did!

Graham
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Beware of the M6 from Junction 4 onwards it is a nightmare at the best of times but other than that it's not to hard to get to the bull ring long as you get through spaghetti junction and take the right exit on the express way
    (A38)

ReputationRep:
    No offence taken! Yeah it does depend what part of Essex. Around Chelmsford - Colchester it isn't too bad, but when you get out towards Basildon, Grays, Southend etc it is a bit of a mish mash.

If I came off the M6 at J5 and went to the Bullring following signs for the town centre did I go through spaghetti junction? I would have thought I would have noticed if I did hmm but then again I was concentrating so much on the road signs I didn't see the surroundings too much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nah Junction 5 is the one before Spaghetti, probably a good idea getting off there if you want to miss the Spaghetti junction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    I don't mind undertaking in slower moving traffic because that cannot be helped, but it's when you're in the outside doing 70 to overtake some middle lane hanger, and some tit in BMW decides to speed up the inside lane doing 90, then go across all the lanes and cut you up. I know he wants to go faster, but he can wait a few extra seconds for me to get past who I am over taking and then move over.

Didn't get time to explore the Bullring unfortunately. Journey back was a bit of a nightmare but I'm quite patient so didn't mind too much.
    But thats the fault of the person in the middle lane. If they'd moved into the inside lane - which there was obviously space for them to do so as someone used it to undertake - then the BMW driver wouldnt have needed to undertake. You would have been overtaking the driver in the middle land and the BMW would have been happy in the outside lane. You werent in the wrong at all there.

I do undertake, sometimes its better than getting more annoyed by the stupid drivers infront of you.

Cant believe you came to Birmingham and missed the sights of Spaghetti junction!!

ReputationRep:
    Spaghetti is junction 6... to tell you the truth when you're in it, it doesn't seem that huge, until you look around and realise you're surrounded by concrete pillars with about 3 roads on top of one another

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L0RA)
    But thats the fault of the person in the middle lane. If they'd moved into the inside lane - which there was obviously space for them to do so as someone used it to undertake - then the BMW driver wouldnt have needed to undertake. You would have been overtaking the driver in the middle land and the BMW would have been happy in the outside lane. You werent in the wrong at all there.

I do undertake, sometimes its better than getting more annoyed by the stupid drivers infront of you.

Cant believe you came to Birmingham and missed the sights of Spaghetti junction!!
    I know I wasn't in the wrong. The middle lane driver was for being in the wrong lane, and so was the BMW for being a tit by undertaking 2 cars and then swerving across 2 lanes and cutting me up.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.