Should Britain contribute to the UN peace keeping force in southern Lebanon? Watch

Poll: Should Britain contribute to the UN peace keeping force in southern Lebanon?
YES (10)
27.78%
NO (24)
66.67%
Dont know (2)
5.56%
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Once you are in the military, and have taken the oath, you have no say in your orders.
Longshoredrift80
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dismal_laundry)
Once you are in the military, and have taken the oath, you have no say in your orders.
That being something you accept when you choose to join the army...
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JonathanH)
British troops would be there to enforce a UN Mandate - there is no question of them "not treating people in an equal manner" - they won't be deciding objectives or strategy. Secondly, it's not simply 'bias' to support a certain side in a conflict, biases AFFECT a decision or judgment - they are not THE decision or judgment.
I don't think we should be sorting out Israel's problems.

And the Britsih government is so biased that British troops would have nothing positive to contribute on the ground in the Lebanon apart from attract missile strikes from Hezbollah that would otherwise be directed at Isreal.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by numero sept)
Who the **** cares?

Do you have a **** over a 1920's world map, when lots of it was covered pink? :rolleyes:
I beg your pardon? Whatever provoked that little outburst? Lost Teddy?
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dismal_laundry)
People shouldn't be trying to leech of the military by joining and not expecting to fight.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Last time I checked Britain had a professional military; not a conscripted one.
Yes. But that doesn't mean our politicians have the right to use them as mercenaries in every conflict du jour.
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who says they are? Leeching, that is...
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Yes. But that doesn't mean our politicians have the right to use them as mercenaries in every conflict du jour.
So peacekeepers are now mercenaries? And yes they do.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
People shouldn't be trying to leech of the military by joining and not expecting to fight.
Bismark; International Arms Trade Expert and warrior!

I think most people when they join the Army sort of expect to fighting for their own country, not someone elses.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bismark; International Arms Trade Expert and warrior!

I think most people when they join the Army sort of expect to fighting for their own country, not someone elses.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands who died in France in WWI.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So peacekeepers are now mercenaries? And yes they do.
Peacekeepers my arse. Sitting ducks absorbing attacks that would otherwise be directed at Isreal for God knows how many years clearing out houses street to street; in short - doing Isreal's dirty laundry.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands who died in France in WWI.
Quiet.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Peacekeepers my arse. Sitting ducks absorbing attacks that would otherwise be directed at Isreal for God knows how many years clearing out houses street to street; in short - doing Isreal's dirty laundry.
Er, what the heck are you talking about? No peacekeepers would be given that much of a mandate. They'll be sitting on the border and making sure no one crosses illegally.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They'll be sitting on the border and making sure no one crosses illegally.
Sounds like a job the Isreali army to me. It's their border.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds like a recipe for another war, which you'll once again condemn.
Longshoredrift80
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Borders have two sides. The Israelis can control their side. Lebanon clearly need help controlling theirs.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Borders have two sides. The Israelis can control their side. Lebanon clearly need help controlling theirs.
Well, I still don't think British soldiers should be sent. Pick someone else for a change.
Longshoredrift80
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, everyone seemed awfully keen to volunteer a few weeks ago. Now where are they? Hello, France, where are all those soldiers you were offering?
Alasdair
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
Well, I still don't think British soldiers should be sent. Pick someone else for a change.
I think it's more a case of British Troops being spectacularly unhelpful.

The question should be 'Should Britain do everything possible to make the UN Peace Keeping Force in Southern Lebanon a success?' The answer is yes. And at the minute, that would not include sending troops.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, everyone seemed awfully keen to volunteer a few weeks ago. Now where are they? Hello, France, where are all those soldiers you were offering?
Evidently France has come to its senses and realizes that this won't just be a matter of "sitting on the border and making sure no one crosses illegally" as Bismark optimistically puts it. It will involve becoming a target for Hezbollah and all the mission spread that will necessarily come from that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads