UMS Marks - again? Watch

yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jan (Honza))
I'd be dissapointed if there weren't such people at university

not to disappoint you, but I think the shortest ICT coursework in my school was about 150 pages

hey, lets not argue over it, there are better things to discuss, I just hope it didn't come across as arrogant or anything, because that really wasn't the case..I'm looking forward to meeting you at cambridge and doing some more intelectually stimulating things than A-levels, though they were entertaining, time to time
:hmmmm:
My GCSE coursework was 120 pages. A friend of mine ended up using about 400 pages for his (also GCSE). I had to help him number the pages .
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Could it possibly be to do with allocating tutorial groups and all. Like I heard they use your Step marks to allocate your groups.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Intelligentsia)
Could it possibly be to do with allocating tutorial groups and all. Like I heard they use your Step marks to allocate your groups.
I'm so screwed with that. Gonna end up with someone who actually deserved to get 1,1 :eek:.
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jan (Honza))
I'd be dissapointed if there weren't such people at university

not to disappoint you, but I think the shortest ICT coursework in my school was about 150 pages

hey, lets not argue over it, there are better things to discuss, I just hope it didn't come across as arrogant or anything, because that really wasn't the case..I'm looking forward to meeting you at cambridge and doing some more intelectually stimulating things than A-levels, though they were entertaining, time to time
And I was the one worried about sounding arrogant.
Have a good time at trinity next year, and to get the most out of what university has to offer, I'd seriously advise doing just the normal one subject this time round.:p:
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Got it, filled it in, sent it back. It didn't take that long.
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Like I heard they use your Step marks to allocate your groups.
I agree with Muffin Man, if that's the case I'm screwed :p: - If they do it based on UMS scores I might be a bit safer, only one A level above the 500 UMS mark, my god I own
*Liana*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think this is just something to do with the colleges keeping data on how their applicants do, and I suppose judging from that whether AS marks were a good indicator of final performance, and whether those with higher UMS perform better at interview, etc. But I don't really know!
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah ok, my UMS are quite pitiful... in the 520s. I almost feel embarassed filling out the form lol.
FWoodhouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
I agree with Muffin Man, if that's the case I'm screwed :p: - If they do it based on UMS scores I might be a bit safer, only one A level above the 500 UMS mark, my god I own
Good grief people, you can't fluke a STEP grade, what you got is what you got, there's no such thing as "should have got lower". What everyone got on STEP doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things anyway, it all evens out - it's just an admissions test. So quit saying stuff like this. :p:
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ah ok, my UMS are quite pitiful... in the 520s. I almost feel embarassed filling out the form lol.
Please do not say things like this.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Jim)
Please do not say things like this.
Well I suppose the fact I did all my A levels in one year is some consolation... but its just naturally daunting you know cause I anticipate there'll be a whole load of 590+/600s lol. Cheers though.
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I suppose the fact I did all my A levels in one year is some consolation... but its just naturally daunting you know cause I anticipate there'll be a whole load of 590+/600s lol. Cheers though.
arg, don't remind me. i'm getting the cyanide ready...
FWoodhouse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Stop worrying about everyone else! It is absolutely certain that there WILL be a bunch of people who appear better than anyone you care to name at Cambridge - surely that's why we applied there in the first place! That applies for everyone on this board. On the other hand, everyone's in the same boat, and everyone's just as worried. Relax. Take it easy, enjoy the ride. I'm looking forward to being around people way above me mathematically.
dragons_circle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Got mine, filled it in and sent it off. You think you did badly? I was shocked to get 480 in further maths. I felt physically embarrassed to have to write it down.

I wonder if Snape does remedial maths....
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jesus people, UMS? How can people who have done STEP think the difference between one A level A and another is any kind of differentiator! I got a C in flipping S3 - this has not convinced me that I'm going to be bowled over by everyone at Cam who got an A in it!
gwright
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Heh. I did Rather Badly Overall - got 530s for all my subjects (and a 2 in STEP I). Sleeping 18+ hours per day in my final year at school really wasn't a good idea.
princess aurora
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My boyfriend does maths at Trinty and I think he said a while back that they use STEP grades to allocate your partners for supervisions. Seems sensible enough, as you would waste supervisions if your ability was very different from the other student you're with.
ljlindley
Report 12 years ago
i havnt got nowhere near 590+ ums scores......i really dont wanna feel dumb, do loads of people have ums like this?!
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ljlindley)
i havnt got nowhere near 590+ ums scores......i really dont wanna feel dumb, do loads of people have ums like this?!
Yes :p:
But loads don't.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FWoodhouse)
Good grief people, you can't fluke a STEP grade, what you got is what you got, there's no such thing as "should have got lower". What everyone got on STEP doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things anyway, it all evens out - it's just an admissions test. So quit saying stuff like this. :p:
lol. Someone got out on the wrong side of the bed!
Can you fluke two STEP grades? :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed