Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To be fair though who, if they can get BBB or higher, is going to pick a new university, which isnt even guaranteed to be allowed to give out pharmacy degrees, when they could go to a uni with a reasonable reputation. I would presume that its offering pharmaceutical science style grades, as thats what theyll give if not accredited.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I mean if it does get accredited then there's gonna be a split in pharmacy graduates =/ it'll be interesting to see how employers treat graduates from the new universities that don't have good reputations. Like if a hospital that has a high number of applications would even consider them for pre-reg ... and would they ever get any graduates doing the industry split pre-reg?

Being local to Wolverhampton uni, it was always a running joke with the teachers at my school that to get in there all you needed to do was pass the mirror test ... i.e. if they put a mirror in front of your face and you made a mark on it you got in ...

ReputationRep:
    yeah it seems like a dubious course. if they are to maintain standards on par with the RPSGB's recomendations then surly students with CEE's will be incapable of enduring the rigours of the curriculum. and if they lowers their standards to facilitate students then they would probably fail to attain RPSGB's acreditation - making the whole course worthless. in a bit of a predicament here!

my 2 cents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyflake)
    To be fair though who, if they can get BBB or higher, is going to pick a new university, which isnt even guaranteed to be allowed to give out pharmacy degrees, when they could go to a uni with a reasonable reputation. I would presume that its offering pharmaceutical science style grades, as thats what theyll give if not accredited.
    I got ABBB at A-level and turned down an offer from LSOP in favour of Reading. To some people, it's not necessarily about the prestige of the university, like me, I felt that being happy for the next four years of your life were more important, and for that reason I chose Reading because I liked the campus more.

It is also important to note (and as already mentioned in another thread), that pharmacy league tables are not all that important. Regardless of which university you get the MPharm degree from, everyone has to complete the same RPSGB course for practice.

So yes, I can understand why some people would perhaps choose a newer university to those which are more established.

But... on the other hand, as said already, it will be interesting to see if there is any discrimination at all between those who are from more established schools than newer ones, when it comes to future employment.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more the fact it's Wolverhampton and the grades they're letting people in with. Reading as a whole has a pretty reasonable reputation I believe?

Wolverhampton on the other hand let my sister's friend in to do psychology with one E at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    My concern would be whether the course would be accredited. I am aware that the chances are it will be, but to be honest I would be prepared to spend 4 years somewhere I wouldnt be one hundred percent happy with, if in the end I got the MPharm. And anyway I dont believe Readings asking for excessively low grades (though not sure exactly what the offers were around!), and therefore people will have enough brains to get through the course, and thus surely theres more chance of it being accredited than a uni which has terribly low entry grades.
    CEE does sound suprisingly low to get a masters degree from.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god how depressing, i just got ABBB to do the same course as a person getting CEE, i might take a gap year and do another course.
    urgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merna)
    oh my god how depressing, i just got ABBB to do the same course as a person getting CEE, i might take a gap year and do another course.
    urgh
    lol if pharmacy is what you want to do then I don't think you should decide you don't want to do it just because wolves wants CEE (apparently). Besides, most of the unis want BBB and pharmacy isn't a "dumb" course.

ReputationRep:
    i was just joking :P i know its just stupid though, i guess the exam could have gone wrong for them and theyre actually bright, and results dont reflect intelligence blah blah

ReputationRep:
    They'll need to fill the course to get funding, but it'll be harder to attract people as it won't have the established reputation as other places.

No doubt there will be some people go there who won't be able to cope if they have got CEE, and so i'd expect a higher dropout rate.

That said, i'd rather have people doing pharmacy who really want to do it, rather than people putting it down as a back-up choice, when they really want to do medicine, only for them to carry an attitude through the next four years.

ReputationRep:
    Hetrfordshire! Is that accredited? It has an ABB offer to start with. :O

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2006

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.