Oxford Modern Linguists Unite! Watch

Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We didn't really do grammar though...
A couple of half-lessons on reported speech and some work on cases at GCSE and maybe 3 lessons going into cases a bit more during Year 12... other than that nothing that I can remember.
I came to the Oxford Modern Language open day on 6th May, and when the fellow dude was talking to the token Oxford German student in it about the grammar work, he mentioned (to a lot of sniggers/laughter/disbelief from most of the room) that this guy's teacher hadn't done grammar with him at school.
...This guy went to my school. Was an amusing experience to say the least... :rolleyes:
iRock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Speaking of grammer, :p: if you're doing German, Hammer's Grammar and exercise book are a must, Blackwell's has them but I think it's like £30 for the two. You can't get by in grammar classes without them (I found the classes completely rubbish but that's just me).

And the French reading list, if it's still the same as last year, you only need to read half of the short texts because in the exam you get you choose Montaigne or Baudelaire, then Cesaire or Graffigny, and then Beckett or Racine. And you almost always only do three of the four long texts, so if there are texts you really don't like the look of (ie. Proust, Racine and Graffigny), don't bother. Find a nice summary on the net, read enough Sparknotes and York Notes to blag through a tute and an essay and you're done.
Aren't I just the model student. :rolleyes:
At the start of the year I was determined to read everything in the target language, then in translation if necessary, then read the critics. This lasted about two weeks, then I was onto online translations.
Che!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by iRock)
Speaking of grammer, :p: if you're doing German, Hammer's Grammar and exercise book are a must, Blackwell's has them but I think it's like £30 for the two. You can't get by in grammar classes without them (I found the classes completely rubbish but that's just me).

And the French reading list, if it's still the same as last year, you only need to read half of the short texts because in the exam you get you choose Montaigne or Baudelaire, then Cesaire or Graffigny, and then Beckett or Racine. And you almost always only do three of the four long texts, so if there are texts you really don't like the look of (ie. Proust, Racine and Graffigny), don't bother. Find a nice summary on the net, read enough Sparknotes and York Notes to blag through a tute and an essay and you're done.
Aren't I just the model student. :rolleyes:
At the start of the year I was determined to read everything in the target language, then in translation if necessary, then read the critics. This lasted about two weeks, then I was onto online translations
I couldn't blag it, I don't think I'm clever enough! Impressive though, very impressive. Yeh, I'm determined to do exactly what you wanted to do. Hope I can do it...
iRock
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Che!)
I couldn't blag it, I don't think I'm clever enough! Impressive though, very impressive. Yeh, I'm determined to do exactly what you wanted to do. Hope I can do it...
Hehe, it just takes a bit of creativity...
I think doing all the reading would be far more impressive than doing lots of blagging, so yeah good luck and I hope you can do it to, I'm sure you can As long as you're not as lazy/unmotivated/addicted to procastinating/sleep/alcohol as me.
rachel-linguist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
If that's for all the new Oxford German people then I know a girl going to it. She's called Eve, she's really nice.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to meeting her then

Regarding the state school question, my letter said the course was for pupils from "non-selective state schools" I went to a grammar school so I ended up on the reserve list. I agree it is mildly offensive especially to teachers to assume that state schools are worse at grammar teaching, however I was under no illusion that my grammar is abominable! Plus it is completely free, they are even paying for our transport!
suzy1287
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
heya! Can I ask what everyone's doing about the films for french sole? Where I live it's practically impossible to get hold off french films just to rent, and I don't really fancy buying them - especially after the cost of the booklist! Am still missing about 5 books actually, but none of them are studied in the first term so I might just get them from the library.....
Yttrium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Che!)
I've got Diva, A Bout de Souffle and I'll get hold of Mr Lange soon. Can't find L627, even in France lol. I'm going to phone Grant and Cutler tomorrow and order them...

What's studied in the first term?? Is it film and thought?
I didn't realise you were taking French sole. I always thought it was French and German. But I'm sure I've just got it wrong...
iRock
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Any 2nd year linguists on here? What have you done in terms of reading?
I'm so crap, I've read one Balzac book for French, the shortest I could find (Eugenie Grandet) and now I'm not even sure I wanna do Balzac at all. (I read it in translation as well lol).
Which are the most interesting options?

Gah, I was pissed off last year cos I had to read so many books I really didn't enjoy (mainly Proust), and now I'm a tad overwhelmed.

I'm also screwed because I bought a mouse for my laptop today which makes Solitaire way more fun (and Spider Solitaire) so I've got no chance of getting round to my eBooks. :rolleyes:
irishman_carl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey, I'm doin' German and Classics (Somerville) and I'm from state school but didn't have to do that 2 week grammar thing for German - were all state school applicants meant to do that???

I'm sorry if someone has already answered this!!

I went up to blackwell's the other day and bought my entire reading list (£££) and I had to carry the books around Oxford all day, they weighed a TON!!!
Che!
Rep:
?
(Original post by irishman_carl)
Hey, I'm doin' German and Classics (Somerville) and I'm from state school but didn't have to do that 2 week grammar thing for German - were all state school applicants meant to do that???

I'm sorry if someone has already answered this!!

I went up to blackwell's the other day and bought my entire reading list (£££) and I had to carry the books around Oxford all day, they weighed a TON!!!
Did you go up to the top floor? They have all the books on the reading list at about half the price. Funny how they don't advertise it....
rachel-linguist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by irishman_carl)
No there is only twelve places so presumably the twelve worst performers on the grammar test. I wonder if they can work miracles in two weeks! :rolleyes:
Che!
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachel-linguist)
No there is only twelve places so presumably the twelve worst performers on the grammar test. I wonder if they can work miracles in two weeks! :rolleyes:
Surely you're not that bad! You'll probs have a great time anyway. Wish I was going...:rolleyes:
trying41
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just think that you'll be far better than the other people who just missed going on the course! Plus, you get two weeks in Oxford. And you don't have to sit at home feeling guilty for not doing the German grammar and finding ways to distract yourself! Pity the likes of me who probably scored lower than average in the Grammar test, then took a Gap Year. So now I haven't spoken a WORD of German for almost a year. Shall be on a self-imposed crash-course at the start of term methinks!

I'm starting in October too btw - Classics and German. Rock on!
rachel-linguist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it said somewhere about them running extra grammar courses for people who are struggling, I will look out for you on those then!!
trying41
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it said somewhere about them running extra grammar courses for people who are struggling, I will look out for you on those then!!
I shall be the one in the Intensive Care Unit for Subjunctive. Come visit me on life support!
rachel-linguist
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by trying41)
I shall be the one in the Intensive Care Unit for Subjunctive. Come visit me on life support!
I don't even know what the german subjunctive is :eek:
trying41
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't even know what the german subjunctive is :eek:
You might just know it as the thing you use for reported speech?? Don't worry, you're not missing much!!!
Yttrium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by trying41)
You might just know it as the thing you use for reported speech?? Don't worry, you're not missing much!!!
À propos du subjonctif:

My wonderful old tutor used to complain about the written work sent in by candidates filled with uses of the subjunctive in places no German would ever write them - so gloriously outdated is its use in many structures! It certainly didn't impress him...
trying41
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Yttrium)
À propos du subjonctif:

My wonderful old tutor used to complain about the written work sent in by candidates filled with uses of the subjunctive in places no German would ever write them - so gloriously outdated is its use in many structures! It certainly didn't impress him...
I'm not saying it's useful or clever, I'm just saying I can't conjugate it!
irishman_carl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My A-level German teacher insisted that the subjunctive was the best of the tenses (whilst I myself have a soft spot for the lovely imperfect....lol) so I had to learn it over and over again - I've never used it suffice to say!!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.46%
No (530)
60.78%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.76%

Watched Threads