Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candice.)
    I have talktalk (talktalk.co.uk), free 8mb Broadband & £8.99 a month call plan .
    xo.
    Waiting list for Talktalk in York at the moment is several months long.

ReputationRep:
    Get your BT line sorted, go for option two free calls at weekends and also weekdays after 6pm. Then signup at http://www.pipex.co.uk. Its good, decent service, far better than tiscali who seem to be the main operator in this area.

PS. If you do, please put my name if it asks you for referrals--> AXZV35 Help another student out and all that

Oh and defo go for Pipex Max WITHOUT the calls package! The package doesn't work out any cheaper than the BT option two, and it takes longer to set up!

PPS should take between 7-10 WORKING (ie Mon-Fri) days to set up.

ReputationRep:
    Safe. To be honest I reckon we'll go with option one, none of us will want to use the landline, really just want it so we can get ADSL. And yeah, I'll put your reference code in.

ReputationRep:
    Right, question.

People have already lived off campus - how much approximately were your electricity and gas bills per month, per person (so it doesn't really matter if you lived in a house of 3 or 7, you should be able to give me some sort of idea)? Assuming that you all lived fairly normally - laptops (chargers used some of the time obviously), a few televisions watched a bit.. etc etc.

Just trying to get some sort of 'feel' for it, as I literally have no idea yet.

ReputationRep:
    My bill varied from £15 to £60 per quarter so £5-£20 per month. I would say about £10 is average for summer and maybe £15 for winter. We had economy 7 so the washing machine and tumble dryer were on overnight (most of the time, the others explain the high bill) and the heating on very little.

ReputationRep:
    Prolly around £15-25/mo each for five people. This was a standard monthly direct debit for both gas + electricity.

We were pretty lax with things like turning lights off. Had the heat on alot, and were always using the dishwasher, washing machine + tumble dryer. We did however have energy saving lightbulbs throughout the whole house.
    The bill looks like its going to be more expensive this year since gas + elec have gone up in price everytime we switch provider to get a cheaper service

ReputationRep:
    I havent done my research yet, but which electricity/gas providers are the cheapest/recommended? I know that if you get your electricity and gas from the same company you get something like a discount, or a better deal or something.
    What about water/phone?

ReputationRep:
    Water you dont have an option, its Yorkshire water or bottles!
    Phone I would say TalkTalk is best but for incoming only (which is easiest) just stick with BT Option 1.
    Electricity and Gas its important to remember that most contracts have a clause which means your Landlord must give written consent, we were with NPower, awful Customer Service (even with the cool hold music) but fairly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    How did you all pay for your electricity and gas? By direct debit or a monthly bill? And either way - did one person pay and you paid them back, or did you have some sort of joint shizzle? Or pay by cash? Rinse out.

ReputationRep:
    Our water, gas and electric bills are in joint names... Not had any invoices (apart from for water, which one person paid) yet, so don't really know how that works...

ReputationRep:
    We each took on one bill each and paid it, then paid each other back, worked fairly well other than me ending up with most bills by the end of it! I know other people who had a joint account and its harder really since you have to change your standing order all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a wild thought - can you get gas and electricity bills sent to your door, then pay by cash?

I'm crazy.

ReputationRep:
    At any bank or building society

Simply take your cash or cheque and the payment slip at the bottom of your bill into a local bank or building society. Please note you may be charged for this service at some branches.

aiight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Here's a wild thought - can you get gas and electricity bills sent to your door, then pay by cash?

I'm crazy.
    Ah yes, but you get a discount for paying by direct debit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickBMX)
    Ah yes, but you get a discount for paying by direct debit.
    Yeah blad, although I value not having to chase people up for money enough that we will go down the 'walk into a building society with cash' route.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it would be easier to work out from other people how much they pay for gas, electricity etc and then add the cost of water, internet, phone whatever and just say £60 a month per person and have that as a direct debit, if it's more then change it, if significantly less change it but if it's only a little less then just leave it because your bills will fluctuate a bit and then you have a little extra money in a "bill account" to cope with that. If there's any left at the end of the year go to the pub or something.

ReputationRep:
    Well, we know how much our internet and phone will be, and that's coming out of my account and I'll get paid back each month by everyone.

Our gas and electricity, and water bills, will come every quarter. So we won't have to do it that often, and it's probably easier for everyone if they just have to put a bit of cash in rather than go about setting up a joint account, guessing how much everyone will have to put in there, everyone actually then having to put money into the account, making adjustments when we don't get the right amounts etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, if it's only quarterly then it's not much hassle every three months.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.