How is the student loan given to students? Watch

mikeyT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Loafer)
Is the maintenance GRANT also paid in 3 instalments?
yep
.:fluff:.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Only annoying thing is that the maintenance lona won't kick in until AFTER i have to pay for the first term accomodation! So that means i have to pay it myself!
I know, i thought that was a bit dodgy, if we could afford to pay for it ourselves we wouldn't be getting the loan in the first place :rolleyes:
Luckily with my uni, I can set up a direct debit so that my first rent installment comes out of the bank when the loan is actually in there :rolleyes:
Drowned World
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've posted this in another part of the forum but I think it's more appropriate here.
I was wondering whether anyone is paying their accomodation here by 3 installments the same as me? Cause I think I'm in a bit of trouble. The problem is the amounts they've split it into are not 3 equal amounts, it's almost 2 grand in the first term, then a grand in the second term, and then just under £700 for the final term I think. However I heard that my loan and grant will be split into 3 equal installments every term, which equals to about 2 grand a term. That means that whilst I'll be okay in the second and third term, for my first term all my loan will go towards the accomodation and I won't have any money left (apart from my savings of couse, which isn't alot). Is anyone else in the same situation???
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can someone clarify something:

What financial help do the SLC provide BEFORE you get to the institution. Surely they know you have to pay accomadation deposits, travel to, etc etc etc.
mikeyT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jaydoh)
Can someone clarify something:

What financial help do the SLC provide BEFORE you get to the institution. Surely they know you have to pay accomadation deposits, travel to, etc etc etc.
They can't pay anything to you until they can confirm that you're actually at the uni.
SianyLou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My loan and grant from last year was split into 3 roughly equal installments. Contrary to what Hana_1987 said earlier we actually ended up with more loan in the last 7 week term than in the other 2 11 and 12 week terms...!! It's usually paid into your account around the first day of term (which isn't including Intro Week)
SianyLou
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Drowned World)
I've posted this in another part of the forum but I think it's more appropriate here.
I was wondering whether anyone is paying their accomodation here by 3 installments the same as me? Cause I think I'm in a bit of trouble. The problem is the amounts they've split it into are not 3 equal amounts, it's almost 2 grand in the first term, then a grand in the second term, and then just under £700 for the final term I think. However I heard that my loan and grant will be split into 3 equal installments every term, which equals to about 2 grand a term. That means that whilst I'll be okay in the second and third term, for my first term all my loan will go towards the accomodation and I won't have any money left (apart from my savings of couse, which isn't alot). Is anyone else in the same situation???
Kinda but not really. I've just paid the first installment of my rent amounting to £1250 including £250 deposit. My loan will be in around the 25th September. My second payment will be out for rent on 1st November, £1000. My second loan payment will be in on 15th (ish) January. My third rent payment, £1000 again, will be out on 1st March...with my third loan payment coming in around the 25th April. Luckily I'm a second year and NatWest are kindly letting me have a £1400 overdraft which will be maxed out for the whole year....
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed