Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludocriss)
    dam im confused. will unis be open for calls tommorow?
    Yes - even UCAS is open. Hundreds if not thousands of places are give out during the first weekend of Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxid)
    It depends. I feel they are taking advantage. They should allow you on to the course if you have met the offer, so I cannot understand why you have had a changed course without your permission. I would ring them (uni) up and demand to know whats going on ASAP
    Chances are that the university is no longer offering the original course that he applied for.

But yes, now that they've changed, you have the option of accepting or declining that offer using the AS12C letter. Better yet, call the uni to confirm what's going on... and perhaps arrange for another course even.

ReputationRep:
    Right.

I rung my Uni yesterday and they said everything was fine they just had a backlog.
    So I checked track this morning and where it used to say conditional it now says 'changed course' ?!?!?! What is it talkng about?
    The course code is the same as it ever was and I still don't understand what's going on, they told me I'm definitely in - but what's this changed course thing about????

ReputationRep:
    I received my letter this morning informing me of the changed course. The dietetics course I was accepted on is still being offered I think because it is NHS funded they offered too many places and now cannot fulfill the offer even though I achieved above the requirements. The letter does not explain why they have offered me a changed course and because it is the weekend no-one is at the university to ask. The changed course is very similar but does not lead to state registration and is therefore completely unacceptable.

Are universities allowed to make an offer and then change it on results day when the required grades are achieved and the course is still being offered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eevie)
    I received my letter this morning informing me of the changed course. The dietetics course I was accepted on is still being offered I think because it is NHS funded they offered too many places and now cannot fulfill the offer even though I achieved above the requirements. The letter does not explain why they have offered me a changed course and because it is the weekend no-one is at the university to ask. The changed course is very similar but does not lead to state registration and is therefore completely unacceptable.

Are universities allowed to make an offer and then change it on results day when the required grades are achieved and the course is still being offered.
    AFAIK, no. Call UCAS and see what they have to say about this. This is hardly fair on you.

ReputationRep:
    universities can do what they like when it comes entrances. unfair though it might be. ring them up on monday and find out if there is anything they can do. which uni is it u applied for? chester do a good nutrition and dietetics course if you end up going through clearing. hope i've been of some help.. chin up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethy)
    Right.

I rung my Uni yesterday and they said everything was fine they just had a backlog.
    So I checked track this morning and where it used to say conditional it now says 'changed course' ?!?!?! What is it talkng about?
    The course code is the same as it ever was and I still don't understand what's going on, they told me I'm definitely in - but what's this changed course thing about????

Uh, call your university and ask them about it? Are you sure the course code hasn't changed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Uh, call your university and ask them about it? Are you sure the course code hasn't changed?
    Nope - it's stayed the same since I applied in April...there was a point where I changed it w/the University but UCAS didn't update it in July so maybe it's jus reverting that?

In July I changed the course but then changed it back yesterday but the original course change was never noted on UCAS :s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethy)
    Nope - it's stayed the same since I applied in April...there was a point where I changed it w/the University but UCAS didn't update it in July so maybe it's jus reverting that?

In July I changed the course but then changed it back yesterday but the original course change was never noted on UCAS :s!
    Heh, that might just be it. Just give both the UCAS and your university a ring to clarify where you're standing and the status of your app.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to UWIC. I had offers from Nottingham and Plymouth which I rejected. Coventry is my insurance choice. I was rejected at Chester, but was not bothered as I already had offers from my other preferences. I was really looking forward to going to Cardiff and had applied for accommodation and was delighted to achieve the grades. Problem with going elsewhere is finiding suitable accommodation at this late stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Heh, that might just be it. Just give both the UCAS and your university a ring to clarify where you're standing and the status of your app.
    Manchester told me I'm definitely in when I phoned them in a ridiculous panic, so maybe I should wait til Tuesday and if the letter hasn't come ring em? I don't wanna seem like a mad person - cause they have to accept me now hehe

I mean the fact that is says 'Congratulations you have confirmed a choice' on the opening page means I'm in doesn't it? Cause that's what it says on the screen for people who've got unconditionals...hmmph its jus a little weird, the university confirmed 100% that I'm in so I shouldn't worry, she even told me not to worry hee hee

You moderator people must LOVE this time of year!

ReputationRep:
    have you looked at Lancaster? they've got nice accomodation, though i'm not sure whether they offer the course, you'll have to look. they've got lots of accomodation too. i'm going there in oct, but i'm doing biological sciences,

www.lancs.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyJo)
    universities can do what they like when it comes entrances. unfair though it might be. ring them up on monday and find out if there is anything they can do. which uni is it u applied for? chester do a good nutrition and dietetics course if you end up going through clearing. hope i've been of some help.. chin up!
    Actually this isn't entirely true, Universities are contractually obliged to accept students who have achieved or exceeded the offer stipulated providing that the offer has been accepted by the candidate(either made Firm or Insurance). That means there is a certain amount of risk that universities will heavily oversubscribe a course but if that is the case then the admissions tutor ought to have had a higher offer. Usually when a course is oversubscribed the admissions tutor will ask everyone if any people are willing to defer for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesHume)
    Actually this isn't entirely true, Universities are contractually obliged to accept students who have achieved or exceeded the offer stipulated providing that the offer has been accepted by the candidate(either made Firm or Insurance). That means there is a certain amount of risk that universities will heavily oversubscribe a course but if that is the case then the admissions tutor ought to have had a higher offer. Usually when a course is oversubscribed the admissions tutor will ask everyone if any people are willing to defer for a year.
    yep - usually they'd add some kind of a monetary incentive with that. i've heard of such cases.

ReputationRep:
    Update on my situation:

I rang DMU about it today. they said i can reply to the HND offer (original changed course offer) online so i stay in the system and they will change it to BA marketing(my newer changed course offer) internally. They said i could also decline the HND offer online but it would be a longer process as i would have to w8 for a clearing passport.

They said this process should be completed in a week. However if i dont get something in the post on Monday abt the BA marketing offer - i will ring them up again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludocriss)
    Update on my situation:

I rang DMU about it today. they said i can reply to the HND offer (original changed course offer) online so i stay in the system and they will change it to BA marketing(my newer changed course offer) internally. They said i could also decline the HND offer online but it would be a longer process as i would have to w8 for a clearing passport.

They said this process should be completed in a week. However if i dont get something in the post on Monday abt the BA marketing offer - i will ring them up again.
    Yep - you're lucky you're dealing with someone who knows UCAS rather well. They've given you correct advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, my insurance university offered me a different course, which i accepted at about 1 o'clock yesterday. The person I spoke to said the changes would be put through straight away. However I've just checked UCAS track and it still shows "changed course" shouldn't it have changed to unconditional by now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanna)
    I'm in the same situation, my insurance university offered me a different course, which i accepted at about 1 o'clock yesterday. The person I spoke to said the changes would be put through straight away. However I've just checked UCAS track and it still shows "changed course" shouldn't it have changed to unconditional by now?
    Relax - it'll change soon enough. Call your uni again in 24h if you don't see any changes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I didn't want to start a new thread because its the same topic so here goes....I had a conditional offer to do pharmacy at Reading on the conditions that I get the grades ABB. I got my results on thurs but didnt meet their requirements so they have offered me an alternative course (Chemistry) through clearing. On UCAS track it says changed offer, but today I received a phone call from Queen Mary offering me a place on their chemistry course. I would prefer to go to Queen Mary, but was wondering am I obliged to go to Reading? I'm also worried because I still havent received my clearing passport number, is anyone else still waiting for theirs?? Thanks in advance.

maoam x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maoam)
    Hi I didn't want to start a new thread because its the same topic so here goes....I had a conditional offer to do pharmacy at Reading on the conditions that I get the grades ABB. I got my results on thurs but didnt meet their requirements so they have offered me an alternative course (Chemistry) through clearing. On UCAS track it says changed offer, but today I received a phone call from Queen Mary offering me a place on their chemistry course. I would prefer to go to Queen Mary, but was wondering am I obliged to go to Reading? I'm also worried because I still havent received my clearing passport number, is anyone else still waiting for theirs?? Thanks in advance.

maoam x
    You can normally be released form your firm/insurance choices if you ask and htis is with a normal offer so you're definately not obliged to go with a changed offer. I had a changed offer (they deferred my place) and when I phoned the uni up they said obviously I don't have to accept it if I don't want to and can go to my insurance choice. On track next to the uni with the changed offer, where it used to say firm it was blank and when I went into track it said we are awaiting your response for a changed offer. When I accepted it, it chnaged back to firm.

And I don't know about the clearing passport I'm sorry. Maybe you're not getting one because technically on the UCAS system you hold an offer??

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.