Turn on thread page Beta

Solve for x (Easyish STEP) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol, not often in the mood for it, but when I do late night maths and keep at it, getting questions out that I would otherwise probably wouldn't have, it is smashing fun, I won't deny that :p: . My desk is too messy at the moment though, half of it is crumpled up paper with maths on it.

This question was the first one discussed at the STEP study school too, is very much a question 1. This is a good question to keep you on your toes and understand the care that can be required with regards to domain of x, as well as being quite doable by STEP standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    This question was the first one discussed at the STEP study school too, is very much a question 1.
    The STEP study school?
    Do tell... sounds interesting.

(Original post by danniella)
    The STEP study school?
    Do tell... sounds interesting.
    I'll tell you what I can remember off the top of my head about it but it will probably scare most members of TSR so do not open the spoiler if you are in any doubt. If I have forgotten anything, or have something wrong, then I would be grateful if people would correct me.
    Spoiler:
    Show

The STEP study school is run during the Easter holidays. Kaiser Mole attended it along with Quagmire (Wrangler's brother) during this year. You are invited on to the course if you hold an offer to read Maths from Cambridge and, based on how much preparation you will receive for the exam. There are no hard and fast rules on whether you will be invited or not, even people from the same school have had one invited and the other not. I believe this occurred with two members on TSR but I cannot remember their names, sorry! The goal of it is to try and give everybody a fair opportunity to get their required grades in the exam. The other STEP and entrance exam papers set by Oxbridge were stopped about 15 years ago due to their experience that candidates from Independent schools received far more coaching for the exam and therefore using the results from them without any adjustment did not provide a good method of admission. Although STEP is supposed to be an introduction to independent learning for Maths students, a reflection of what it will be like at university, it is true that there are certain ways in which you can be helped and introduced to the style of question. Please note that I doubt any people who made their offer actually only started working on STEP during the Easter before the exams!

This year it was held in the CMS, the Cambridge Mathematical Sciences building, where, incidentally, AlphaNumeric and Wrangler were each written their Part III essay up while the study school was in progress. The school is run by Stephen Siklos, the official representitive of STEP to the public. I believe the school would involve some talks through questions in the style of a lecture and also some group work with postgrad students to try and help students become more familiar with different ways in which they can approach questions.

There were questions over the organization of the course in terms of where students were allowed to go as Quagmire was over 18 and yet was not allowed out due to many of the other students being under 18 and technically under the responsibility of the organizers of the course.

You did ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    I'll tell you what I can remember off the top of my head about it but it will probably scare most members of TSR so do not open the spoiler if you are in any doubt. If I have forgotten anything, or have something wrong, then I would be grateful if people would correct me.

You did ask
    The only scary bit is how you remembered all that... :p:

(Ah well. Count me out, then, as a very unlikely candidate.
    That would mean,
    a) I wanted to do maths at Cambridge
    b) that I'd managed to get an offer :rolleyes:
    c) my school would be unlikely to give me any help if I decided to do that.

I think that the first just *might* be less likely than the last, with the second one having the lowest probability!)

But thank you. It does sound interesting though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FWoodhouse)
    If you want to do it with only one squaring rather than two, let u = x1/2, so you get

which reduces possible errors when squaring things out.
    Thats how I did it.

EDIT - Oh, and Lusus's 'two members on TSR' are me and Bingojesus - same school, he went, I didn't. Gives me an excuse for him beating me by a grade.

(Original post by wanderer)
    EDIT - Oh, and Lusus's 'two members on TSR' are me and Bingojesus - same school, he went, I didn't. Gives me an excuse for him beating me by a grade.
    My apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    My apologies.
    No need, I'm impressed you remembered!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.