Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snak3uk)
    Lol it's regarded as a joke - look how many people keep their car (inc. me) down Herschel Road! And how would you be 'found keeping a car' these days? It's an outdated and probably illegal rule that too many people abide by...
    I doubt that it's an illegal rule as we are choosing to become part of the institution and sign to agree to various bits and bobs. You might as well start claiming that it's your right to smoke during lectures and walk on college lawns. Of course everyone knows that students do sometimes illicitly keep cars in Cambridge (although in my experience it's hardly usual, I think I've only known one person do so), and I agree it'd be difficult for the authorities to catch you (unless someone reported you). However I'd say it's incorrect to say that the rule is regarded as a joke - the person I knew who did break it seemed slightly nervous about it, and I genuinely can't think of anyone else who has done.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who have broken the rule for a day or two but not for a term at a time. And even if you don't drive it around you still have to park the thing, and cambridge isn't exactly full of car parking space. And it isn't exaclty breaking a fundamental human right by banning you from having a car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I doubt that it's an illegal rule as we are choosing to become part of the institution and sign to agree to various bits and bobs. You might as well start claiming that it's your right to smoke during lectures and walk on college lawns. Of course everyone knows that students do sometimes illicitly keep cars in Cambridge (although in my experience it's hardly usual, I think I've only known one person do so), and I agree it'd be difficult for the authorities to catch you (unless someone reported you). However I'd say it's incorrect to say that the rule is regarded as a joke - the person I knew who did break it seemed slightly nervous about it, and I genuinely can't think of anyone else who has done.
    Did John ever tell you of that time in first term where we queened off to Ely in an old banger of mine with him driving back, rat-arsed and hand-brake turning outside newnham? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CamSPSer)
    And it isn't exaclty breaking a fundamental human right by banning you from having a car
    Well, moot point

It's the principle of a completely arbitrary ban which *does* comprimise one's freedom of movement. I mean how about if you were banned from using trains, or only allowed to ride pink bikes in the city centre?

It's perfectly reasonable to have as a guiding principle re. the city centre itself, but officially you're not allowed within a 10 mile radius of Great St. Mary's! It could just do with some updating, imho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trundle)
    I suppose you just have to hope that you get a good trainee! :rolleyes:

On the subject of driving, do many students take their cars to Cambridge in order to get to and from home when the desire? I think that I will have to leave mine at home. Do the colleges offer free parking for students?
    The trainees are always supervised. About half of mine was actually done by the supervisor, so complete **** ups are unlikely. If you are into fancy high fashion hairdos then you might want to get someone properly qualified, but at a saving of £30+ I'm quite happy to let a trainee do my fairly simple graduated bob.

As for cars, all I can find in the University regulations is that the rules apply to persons in statu pupillari, rather than the whole of the city, and that it's regarding persons who "during residence, keeps, uses or causes to be kept for his use, any motor vehicle within 10 miles of GSM..."

So as far as I can see, it's not really applicable to the townspeople etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The trainees are always supervised. About half of mine was actually done by the supervisor, so complete **** ups are unlikely. If you are into fancy high fashion hairdos then you might want to get someone properly qualified, but at a saving of £30+ I'm quite happy to let a trainee do my fairly simple graduated bob.
    I let a Tony & Guy trainee do my hair (also a graduated bob) and she was really good, a lot better than some of the cheaper hairdressers I've been to, and she was already fully qualified but was just getting further practice before she takes her additional Tony & Guy exams. I'd definitely recommend it as a good way of saving money!

ReputationRep:
    Somebdoy mentioned keeping a car on Herschel Road - I've considered doing this; we parked there on interviews and open day, always found a space, and there doesn't seem to be a parking restriction.

I've read the 'no parking' rule, and was wondering how many people actually obey it. I'd like to be able to keep my car there, and drive up to nottingham to see my girlfriend every so often, might be more flexible than train.

I'm not sure if I'll bring it though, just wondering what others do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    Somebdoy mentioned keeping a car on Herschel Road - I've considered doing this; we parked there on interviews and open day, always found a space, and there doesn't seem to be a parking restriction.

I've read the 'no parking' rule, and was wondering how many people actually obey it. I'd like to be able to keep my car there, and drive up to nottingham to see my girlfriend every so often, might be more flexible than train.

I'm not sure if I'll bring it though, just wondering what others do.
    Well, you've honestly got a choice, depending on how far you're willing to walk. Herschel/Sylvester/Adams Roads are the only ones walkable on that part of the city that are restriction free - however, going out to the Lensfield Road junction, there are a couple of roads off there as well. I can't speak for the other (Jesus) side of the city.

In day-time the UL carpark (despite signs to the contrary) is never checked at all, have quite happily left car there from 9am-9pm several times last term...

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.