[email protected] Watch

time2think
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Im going to be joining the Maths and Economics Course as well,
very happy i got in!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted two find out a few things, I haven't done further maths but will have gone through it by the time i would have arrived for that enrollment thing (hopefully if i can concentrate on working again)

but have you ordered the books that were on that reading list that we got a long long time ago, i haven't even thought about it till now, there were quite a few

Hopefully i aint the only one that has not done anything about it yet, but plenty of time yet to catch up.

I just saw the timetable that people had last year, thats a pretty packed up schedule
Slinky
Report 12 years ago
Oooh.. I haven't touched maths since June... and I have no idea how I'm going to get into the flow of things again!! I didn't do any further maths at A level either so I'm definitely goin to need to catch up during this summer... any ideas on where to start?!
Red Albatross
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Slinky)
Oooh.. I haven't touched maths since June... and I have no idea how I'm going to get into the flow of things again!! I didn't do any further maths at A level either so I'm definitely goin to need to catch up during this summer... any ideas on where to start?!
I certainly never did much preparation, and managed to survive. But I wouldn't say I'm the best example to follow. Although if you're panicking it's worth noting they do ease you in relatively gently into the first term.

As for what revision to do, I suggest you look at the basics. Revise (or learn) how to do differential equations off the top of your head (something I'm still ashamed to admit I'm a fair bit lacking in).

Also differentiation and integration should be a priority, certainly the less straight-forward the better. I assume they will continue with the test they started last year which required you to pass 9 out of 10 (mostly) integration questions, before you could technically pass one of the modules. There isn't much to worry about these though - they ran them roughly twice weekly for a long time (started before Xmas, I passed around march ).

If you haven't done any complex numbers read up on at least the basics of those as well.

As for books, don't worry about them. I managed the whole year without a single one. Instead expect a lot of copying from the whiteboard (my notes were basically the writing on the whiteboard each lecture, not much else). This is less of a bad thing than you may expect - you don't really ever have to concern yourself with separating what's useful from what's not unlike more vocal lectures in other subjects. Just watch out for the lecturers who write too fast or incomprehensibly.
time2think
Report 12 years ago
Well i am just going through some stuff from FP1 and FP2
and C4 because i think i forgot some stuff by now.

I also will probably have to do a bit of M1 as well as i did s1 and s2 in alevel maths.

I think that should be enough.

This site may help you out, i haven't got around to using it myself

http://www.blacks.veriovps.co.uk/pag...=0&subject=950
Red Albatross
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by time2think)
I also will probably have to do a bit of M1 as well as i did s1 and s2 in alevel maths.
Will you be doing the applied mathematics module? A lot of that covers M1 but more in depth, so if you're feeling restricted by time I suggest you don't bother. You'll find the first half term in applied easy having done S1 and S2 as well.
time2think
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Red Albatross)
Will you be doing the applied mathematics module? A lot of that covers M1 but more in depth, so if you're feeling restricted by time I suggest you don't bother. You'll find the first half term in applied easy having done S1 and S2 as well.
I haven't actually thought about the modules i will be taking, I thought that in the first year there are no options as the modules are compulsory?

Thanks
Red Albatross
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by time2think)
I haven't actually thought about the modules i will be taking, I thought that in the first year there are no options as the modules are compulsory?

Thanks
Yeah they're all compulsory. I'm just not sure as to how the Maths and Eco course is structured. Yeah looking at the course, it appears you don't do applied anyway: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/und.../g1l1_g1lc.pdf (it shouldn't have changed much since then).
time2think
Report 12 years ago
Yeah they're all compulsory. I'm just not sure as to how the Maths and Eco course is structured. Yeah looking at the course, it appears you don't do applied anyway: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/und.../g1l1_g1lc.pdf (it shouldn't have changed much since then).

Thanks for the link, i found out about it and your right i would not have to do the applied module as i would be doing a economics module instead.
PennyRoyalTea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by vincent)
what do you mean you are out? you going to a better uni?
Yeah...I think they call it UCL..:rolleyes:
np_desi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PennyRoyalTea)
Yeah...I think they call it UCL..:rolleyes:
theoneandonly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im doing maths with management, like other posters, i havent done further maths either...so am slightly worried (well, very worried to be honest)

ive got hold of a few books from the reading list they sent, do you think its better me going through them or going back over c4, c3. i havent got any further maths books, should i bother getting them?

im very glad that Red Albatross said they ease you in as like i said before, im very worried!
Red Albatross
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by theoneandonly)
im doing maths with management, like other posters, i havent done further maths either...so am slightly worried (well, very worried to be honest)

ive got hold of a few books from the reading list they sent, do you think its better me going through them or going back over c4, c3. i havent got any further maths books, should i bother getting them?

im very glad that Red Albatross said they ease you in as like i said before, im very worried!
The first few weeks will still be a noticeable departure from the maths you've done before. Don't panic about that - everyone should feel the same way. Certainly once the year is over and you compare your notes from the beginning and from the end, you'll be able to see that it was gentle.

If you haven't done further maths don't panic too much either. I only did it up to AS and I survived (being my usual lazy self). There will be people there who know more than you - but as the course doesn't assume further maths, some of the material required to catch up is covered in the normal lectures, and some of it is covered in extra lectures in the first few weeks. The only real advantage that they have over you will be practice and familiarity in some of these areas.

Those two paragraphs were supposed to be reassuring by the way.

I wouldn't bother buying any further maths books, you should be able to survive without, and may become not be very useful fairly quickly. As for the recommended books, if you've bought them you may as well at least skim them? It might help with some of the initial 'culture shock', as it were.

Apart from that I can only reiterate my suggestion of brushing up on your A-level calculus if it's rusty. (I'm not sure what exactly is in c3 and c4 - I did the old modules.) And if you can find out what calculus is in the further maths course, maybe attempt to familiarise yourself with that.

Alternatively - relax, it'll be the last time you haven't got anything to do for 9 months, and attempt to get by on your wiles. Although that is what I did and I got a 41 on one of my modules (40/100 is the pass). Though I'm just a lazy so and so really.
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
C3 and C4 roughly equate to a dumbed down version of P3, and some of P2.
PennyRoyalTea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by np_desi)
Sasuke!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
man i wish that i had considered medicine more, they sound like they have much mroe fun than the mathemataicians, and i am really interested in bio medicine. DAMN, i didnt really consider it because i never though that i would get the grades ho wi regret that now!!! oh well, ill just do maths
Sasuke!
Rep:
?
The first few weeks will still be a noticeable departure from the maths you've done before. Don't panic about that - everyone should feel the same way. Certainly once the year is over and you compare your notes from the beginning and from the end, you'll be able to see that it was gentle.

If you haven't done further maths don't panic too much either. I only did it up to AS and I survived (being my usual lazy self). There will be people there who know more than you - but as the course doesn't assume further maths, some of the material required to catch up is covered in the normal lectures, and some of it is covered in extra lectures in the first few weeks. The only real advantage that they have over you will be practice and familiarity in some of these areas.

Those two paragraphs were supposed to be reassuring by the way.

I wouldn't bother buying any further maths books, you should be able to survive without, and may become not be very useful fairly quickly. As for the recommended books, if you've bought them you may as well at least skim them? It might help with some of the initial 'culture shock', as it were.

Apart from that I can only reiterate my suggestion of brushing up on your A-level calculus if it's rusty. (I'm not sure what exactly is in c3 and c4 - I did the old modules.) And if you can find out what calculus is in the further maths course, maybe attempt to familiarise yourself with that.

Alternatively - relax, it'll be the last time you haven't got anything to do for 9 months, and attempt to get by on your wiles. Although that is what I did and I got a 41 on one of my modules (40/100 is the pass). Though I'm just a lazy so and so really.
you are a really nie guy and thanks for writing gsuch a long reply for us!!! thanks ill rep you can you neg rep me if you can, thanks
klasik
Report 12 years ago
im doing maths w/ economics there
Red Albatross
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by vincent)
man i wish that i had considered medicine more, they sound like they have much mroe fun than the mathemataicians, and i am really interested in bio medicine. DAMN, i didnt really consider it because i never though that i would get the grades ho wi regret that now!!! oh well, ill just do maths
You can always hang around with medics outside of lectures? And the other reply was no trouble at all, any time.
Sasuke!
Rep:
?
You can always hang around with medics outside of lectures? And the other reply was no trouble at all, any time.
yeah and wish that i was one of them :rolleyes:
Slinky
Report 12 years ago
Vincent you are a traitor and you are crazy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.27%
Leave (130)
19.73%

Watched Threads